How about a "look what I found" thread??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GhostRiderFromHell, Jan 20, 2010.

1. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Never going to your shop Dave, you're obviously making waaaay to much $$$. :lol3
    ( Says the man who bought a Snap On Heavy duty Road chest for a lot more than I should of!! That said snap on hand tools are good to use. The fit, finish & the fact that they fit correctly especially for stuff like fuel & brake line flare nuts is worth it
    sidetrack one likes this.
  2. hattah79

hattah79 .

Oddometer:
    BUNNINGS Frankston had a shelf full of them
    Took a pic sent the Chief financial officer
    "Why do you want that'
    ME "So i can see better when I am painting the spare room"
    CFO " Grab one then "
  3. Clay-doh

Clay-doh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Grab two - she's guaranteed to knock at least one off, as has happened to @Just Dan :lol3
    Just Dan likes this.
  4. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's heaps of info about these radios here:
    http://www.miklor.com/

I'm carrying a Baofeng UV-82 this year, much the same but not waterproof, good little radio, you really need a USB programming cable and "Chirp" software to program them, manual programming is BS..
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

The Aussie UHF 80 channel CSV file you need for programming is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic06klcgi84nmky/UHF CB80.csv?dl=0
    and VHF:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qp5g12ohlcvwop/AUS Marine VHF.csv?dl=0

I notice the GT-3wp is $60 with the programming cable on ebay, worth paying the extra $10...
    AUSSIEADV, Colonial Mick and BergDonk like this.
  5. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    I won’t see that again. Just like my iPhone 6 :rofl happy wife, happy life
    Clay-doh and BygDaddee like this.
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well played hattah ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  7. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Thanks for those links Flickit it will save me typing them all in individually !! I had the programming cable but it died and apparently this is common with the Chinese chips.
    Prolific chipsets are better apparently but cost more.
  8. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tradie

Oddometer:
    ... if you're prepared and looking, here's an opportunity to meet Luck ....

Tassie Collectors' bike collection up for grabs, ranging from $2000 - $30k
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hob...-royal-enfield-and-others-for-sale/1178459935
    collector bikes.JPG

... or >>> the one & only in the world >>> Bentley Mk VI Ute
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ros...age-1948-bentley-mark-vi-truck-ute/1183357811
    bentley ute.JPG bentley ute-b.JPG

.... but wait, there's more .....
    (PS: I got no stakes in this, just thought a few of you might have some loose change in your pockets screaming LET-ME-OUT !!:rofl)
    AUSSIEADV, Wodger63, LOFTYBOB and 4 others like this.
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:

Calling Nev to the bat phone :D
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  10. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    That collection has on the market for some years now. With very little or no takers.

I have visited this collection, an if would like my thoughts, PM me.

[​IMG]
    LOFTYBOB and 1coolbanana like this.
  11. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
    .... please do share your insights ...
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this counts as a look what I found... sat forever on eBay without any bids. I made an offer of $15 and he accepted.

IMG_4182.jpg

I get it, inspect it... and damn. It's a Coast, and it says made in china, but the tools are all identical to the tools from Wenger swiss army knives. I don't mean similar, I mean IDENTICAL. Broke out caliper and micrometer, and they're the same tools. Blade is identical to one from a Wenger Swissbuck, but sharpened differently and ground with serrations. Scissors are damn near identical, right down to the serrated "self-sharpening" blades. Check it:

IMG_4187.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Coast purchased blanks from Wenger to make their tools. The saw is 100% identical. All dimensions, tooth count, tooth splay, even the nail nick and machining marks. (This is one of the few tools that wouldn't be polished, and it shows up as exactly the same as the Wenger tools). The thin handle scale is held on by the same clips as a Wenger scale, and I popped it off and it's interchangeable with Wenger scales. The liner underneath cannot be told apart from a Wenger liner.

The only real difference is that Wenger (and victorinox) machine polish the tool surfaces, and Coast appears to have thrown them all into a tumbler with some sand and left them for a while. The corners are rounded, where the Wenger tools have sharp corners.

The quality of construction is equal to that of a Wenger knife. It FEELS like a Wenger. tools open easily without binding, and snap open and shut strongly. But "So what?" you say? Why not just buy an actual Wenger swiss army knife and not a knockoff? Well friend, this is why:

IMG_4190.jpg IMG_4191.jpg

Yeah. It's got a refillable butane lighter. How cool is that? The butane lighter and the outer liner it attaches to are the only major structural differences between this an a real Wenger swiss army knife.

Charles.
    DeLewis, BergDonk and Just Dan like this.
  13. MirthfulThylacinator

Oddometer:
    "...I get it, inspect it... and damn. It's a Coast, and it says made in china, but the tools are all identical to the tools from Wenger swiss army knives. I don't mean similar, I mean IDENTICAL. Broke out caliper and micrometer, and they're the same tools. Blade is identical to one from a Wenger Swissbuck..."

sure, imo merely confirmation that our Glorious Swiss Cousins also just brand their name onto made-elsewhere-components, like most OEM-assemblers these days. Those Chinese fella's not stupid, eventually make everything to any required standard for whoever orders it. You probably could'ave ordered a 100 identical 'ChopperCharles Survival Tools ' for tuppence and sold em to us with 60% markup! It's business, that's all. Nothing personal. :nod better believe it, ha!

Whilst working in Scotland in the late 80's, at their to-be-closed-soon British Steel plant in Motherwell, a mate of mine watched steel plate being rolled out and stamped "Made in Sweden" .... that just spells out how it really is.
    DeLewis likes this.
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, this is from the 90s most likely. The swiss army type knives Coast has made more recently are based off of Victorinox knives, and the quality is absolute garbage. They're not even a close approximation, the tools are thinner, made out of cheaper metal, and the whole thing is assembled poorly. The "Coast Carpenter's Knife" for instance, is a complete piece of junk. It's barely held together, rivets flex and pop, tools have casting marks and burrs on them, nothing lines up, and everything is loose. It feels like crap in your hand. The original cost knife I posted... it feels like a quality knife. It feels good.

Here's a pic of the blade by the way.

IMG_4183.jpg

Charles.
    MirthfulThylacinator likes this.
  15. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
  16. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Go fast mod for an Enfield :lol3
    1coolbanana and Wodger63 like this.
  17. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind one of them bathtubs??? which is better?
  18. Johns-Bikes

Johns-Bikes Pre GS12 LC *****...

Oddometer:
  19. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
  20. cascade63

cascade63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested in the Nexx X WED2 helmets get over to CTA Powersports in Belmont. Top service and a few other goodies in the shop too.
    They are on that Bookface thing too. 0 - 1 (37).jpg