How about a ride to colorado from the bay area

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ridercam, May 9, 2020.

1. Ridercam

Ridercam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Island of Alameda, across from San Francisco
    I am considering taking off in the next weeks or so doing motorcycle camping in the great western states with warm days, cool nights, big sky, open roads, swims in lakes, fishing in streams and yes cheap gas. I'd buy the US National park pass and camp somewhere safe at night. Wake in the morning and look forward to a new day and a new road I have never been on. Less than 50 dollars a day for gas, food and sometimes a paid campsite with a shower...

[​IMG]

Imagine a segment 128 past Dewey Bridge, to Castle Valley and La Sal Manti Loop Road, into Moab for lunch and then out Potash Road past dinosaur footprints and up Schafer Canyon Switchbacks in Canyons lands National Park, down 24 into Hanksville, UT.

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 8.43.56 PM.png
  2. PitMyShants!

PitMyShants! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, this is a real cool route. If I was still in the Bay I’d be giving this some serious thought, have been wanting to do Moab for some time now
    Ridercam likes this.
  3. Ridercam

Ridercam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Island of Alameda, across from San Francisco
    ^ It looks to be a really pleasant ride with few if any interstate roading . Glad you see the potential like i do.

I think it might be adding up to a 8 or 9 day ride. maxing out days at around 350 with a couple of good unpaved roads. Riding consistent with a couple of breaks for cool dips, hot springs or ice cream; searching for decent food choices for lunch and something to cook on grill for dinner. I'll be on my Urban GS with soft bags, a small foot print tent, pad, sleeping bag, a camp stove kit, basic essentials. Alameda to Fallon for night 1. Great Basin NP for night 2. Moab night 3. Taos NM Night 4. Monument Valley area Night 5. Zion NP Night 6. Goldfield NV Night 7. Yosemite NP Night 8. Home on Day 9. At Grand Basin NP will spurge for a good meal at Kerouac's. Budget for trip 650 to 900 dollars including camping (both paid, poached or BLM), gas, fine food experience, saloon beers, lunches and a couple of breakfasts.

Funny how none of my friends want to join me. I have no idea what has made them ninnies.
  4. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    That should be good ride, you will probably have most of the roads to yourself. Check the NP websites for park access, what's open/closed. I just checked Great Basin, open for day use, camping is closed at this point in time, hard to figure/plan for camping at this time, other than out in the bush. Maybe try the tentspace thread too.