How are you getting to Portland?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ZBM2-AR, May 26, 2019.

1. ZBM2-AR

ZBM2-AR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Prologue-
    This is the first motorcycle trip I've ever taken, I didn't start riding until March of this year, it's also the first time I've been camping in 22+ years. What could possibly go wrong? o.0
    It's grey and raining here in Sacramento which I'm told isn't what it's supposed to be... I think everyone might be lying to me since the weather has been pretty shifty since we moved here in November.
    I'm riding a 2018 Tiger 800 which has about 1100 miles on it now. I'm heading east from Sacramento to Pt Reyes, and then down Highway 1 to SLO, then east over to the Sierras. Hopefully, in the next few days, Sherman Pass road will open since I wanted to ride through Sequoia National Park to get to the east side of the mountains. Then 395 north up to Bend and then a route other than I5 up into Portland. After I visit family and friends it's straight up I5 to Bellingham and then Canada for the stamp in the passport, then Coupeville-Pt Townsend. Then 101 all the way down the coast to home.
    I'm leaving behind a wife and 3 dogs, I think my wife is the one who is going to miss me the most but the Weim is a very close second.
    If you see a tall fat dude on a blue Tiger this week toss me a wave.
    Shaggie likes this.
  2. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    Not saying they don’t stamp but I’ve been in and out of Canada a minimum of 20+ times and never got a stamp they just look a it and ask a couple questions and hand it back.
    Same with Mexico maybe I’m doing something wrong.
    I live two hrs from the border but I’m not an expert lord knows I’ve forgotten more than I remember.
  3. ZBM2-AR

ZBM2-AR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh well it's worth a shot!
    Take a picture of the bike in front of the peace arch eat something and head on back.
  4. Me4speed

Oddometer:
    Also I’ll be in Portland next weekend beginning Thursday maybe I’ll see you.
  5. Me4speed

Oddometer:
    That works, I like going to Nelson Ca, for coffee every so often
  6. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    The cross into Canada is not like the crossing into Trashkanistan. Most Americans who do it use a passport CARD. No way to stamp it.

Those with passport folders, I'm guessing, just get waved through after some moderate interrogation by the Immigration Canada people.
  7. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot

Oddometer:
    You could do that but it would be a lot shorter if you rode west. :D
    fredster likes this.
  8. ZBM2-AR

ZBM2-AR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hrmm so you think I should schedule more than the 2 weeks I've got planned if I go east? :p
    Friz Freleng likes this.
  9. ZBM2-AR

ZBM2-AR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chapter 1 - Dum Iss
    Sacramento to Klamath falls

After speaking with my long suffering wife last night and checking the weather report for the Sierras and lake Tahoe it was decided to go another route.
    I5 to 99 to Chico at Chico take 32 east and find my way up and around to Klamath falls. All was going will until we started climbing up into Lasson national Forest, damn it's cold! So a quick pull over to the side to put in the glove liners and put the rain liner on over my jacket. Wait... Where's the water and snacks? Oh Robert you dum iss. Left right where I put them at home out in the open so I wouldn't forget
    Oh well, rain liner plus the thermal liner I already had in are doing the trick!
    Cruising up the highway I notice a nice forest road so I turn down it and head a few miles in. All good nice scenery let's head on back. As I'm turning left from a stop back onto the highway i drop my bike, Robert you dum iss.

Now I can't get her back up. Damnit. It only takes 5 minutes before some pulls a uturn and checks on me. Nice older gentleman and his wife. He rides a Harley and is more than happy to lend a hand. We get the bike back up and talk for a few minutes "happens to everyone", "we're all in this together", thanks Stu you're a gentleman.

Back on the road and doing well. While trying to get my bike back up I took off the extra gear because I was getting hot and now right beyond Eagle Lake it starts to rain. Whelp best pull over and get my stuff back on. 2 miles later the rain stops. I can only laugh, I decide to keep it on because it's been that kind of day. And then as I head down into Adin freezing rain and lots of wind. Ohh goody.
    That's the next several hours, wind rain breaks of sunshine and then more rain. I make it into Klamath falls hours later than I intended and wet. I think a hotel is called for tonight, a hot shower and let my gear dry.
    Today was a good day, tomorrow intro Portland and seeing friends
    IMG_20190527_130408.jpg IMG_20190527_131251.jpg IMG_20190527_144929.jpg IMG_20190527_161536.jpg IMG_20190527_182304.jpg