How bad is a hit to the patellar tendon?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by LordMorgan, May 6, 2019.

1. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride on Friday and made some newb mistakes, like not wearing shin/kneeguards and then taking a little 7mph spill and banged my knee on a rock.

I hit it square in the patellar tendon, about 1" below the bottom of my kneecap. I did the family guy thing there I was on my back for a few minutes breathing loudly, it hurt pretty good. When I stood up I felt a little tiny pop, but had to ride back (slowly and carefully) home. Its been swollen and painful all weekend, I still have a little bump on it and I've been trying to keep my leg straight, it gets stiff and starts to hurt a little if I bend my knee more than, say 20 degrees.

This is a pretty common injury, all my co-workers were asking if I was playing Soccer. Should I just rest up and let it heal on its own or should I see a doctor? I figured a couple of you experienced guys have gotten a booboo on your knee before and can offer some advice
    Tank likes this.
  2. Yanka Lisiy

Yanka Lisiy DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Is that a big problem to go and see a doctor? I'd do that in a first place. If that's too complicated then you can try other methods.
    CCitis likes this.
  3. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bro if a doctor is involved it's going to cost thousands
    Motonirvana likes this.
  4. lowbrow

lowbrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or your knee can bother you for a year or two. I'm still dealing with a jacked up bicep because I haven't got it looked at and that was a year and a half ago. It'll seem like it healed up and then I'll do something and it'll be back to square one. Baby it for a week or two and if it doesn't get better go to the doctor. If you're going to ride bikes you better be prepared to shell out some dough.
  5. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doctor up!
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too late to avoid most of the damage now, but that's an injury ice helps a LOT with. Plastic bag filled with crushed ice or a couple of packs of frozen peas rotated through the freezer, hold them on the knee with a towel.

Good chance there's only bruising but it's an area that tends to get inflamed and take forever to recover from that. Ice now will help a little but expect weeks of discomfort. At this point I suspect a doctor would say "We have to get the inflamation down before we can tell anything - Ka-Ching !"
  7. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Let’s not all CSM this, but yeah, you need a doc to confirm that nothing that actually needs repair is done. Maybe they’ll say that time and PT will heal it. Maybe you actually damaged something. Some times, ignoring the problem makes it worse. (Most times, IME.).

And if you don’t have insurance, maybe reconsider riding.
  8. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I caved and saw a doctor, got an x-ray, nothing broken, got an MRI, waiting on results. I'm gonna guesstimate about $500 to confirm if nothing is wrong

But thats better than having a gimpy leg or having to hang up my helmet for the rest of my life if I just ignored the injury and it turned out to be severe tendon damage. Thats how I'm justifying it to myself at least

Good advice with the ice btw, helped inflammation go down and now its just a little tender and stiff
  9. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smart man!
  10. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    $500? Lets break it down.

Doctor consult.....................................$120.00
    Xray...................................................$150.00
    Radiologist to interpret x ray................$150.00
    MRI....................................................$800.00
    Radiologist to interpret MRI.................$150.00
    Follow up appt. with original Doc........$120.00

My opinion....you had what my Grandpa termed a knee bump boo boo. Should've applied lots of ice, taken Ibuprofen and followed it up with twenty bucks worth of Aleve. You caved to your fears and have now became a burden on America's Healthcare System. Goggle is your friend. Doctors are idiots.
  11. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of other messed up joints because I didn't see a doctor and they didn't heal right, I didn't want to mess up this knee too and my insurance hopefully did what it's supposed to and kept costs low.

I got the results back, I'm fine, but knowing I'll be fine is worth a couple hundred. Five is pushing it though. Doctors certainly have a good racket here.
    MatttheHatt likes this.