How bad is turbulence/buffeting on the GSA?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Superadv, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Superadv

Superadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I traded my Katoom 1290SA many years ago due to this issue as well as my Duc MS Enduro last year, but may be leaning towards a GSA this go around.
    My personally important question is, how bad is the turbulence or buffeting for someone who's 6'2" (and shrinking) for the Adv version? I really hate playing the "try this windscreen, no this one is better," game.
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.!
  2. Curtis76

Curtis76 Coug Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m 6’2” as well. I have 2011 GSA and the windshield works well. I’ve added a clip on TT larimer lip and that even helps more. Couple that with the larger tank of GSA and I’m sitting protective cocoon.
    I just picked up 2020 1250 GSA. Though it’s adjustable, I like the old 2012 windshield better (plus it feels more stable as it’s better braced.
    Time will tell if like the new better. I did add the adjustable TT lip and it helped significantly.
  3. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6'4" here. Stock windscreen. Thousands of miles in - no buffeting to worry about. Counter-intuitive - I put the windshield one notch down from top. Seems to have better aerodynamics. Get an extender if needed.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll almost certainly have to try different screen options. That's why there are dozens of them.

Or maybe you get lucky and third time will be the charm.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    What turbulence or buffeting do you speak of? :D

Your height is one of the factors in determining windshield size/behaving but not the only one... Your torso height is more important, as are the seat height, the angle of the windscreen adjustment as well, then helmet etc etc ie. it's a bit more complex thus it takes some time and experimenting to find the winning combo...

You haven't mentioned which MY GSA you're looking at - older air/oil-cooled platform would put a rider sitting higher than LC.

Riding GSA will help you determine how bad it is, if there's any turbulence ie. buffeting at all for you, and then there are couple of avenues you can choose from based on what has worked for majority of the riders in choosing the windshield/adjustable spoiler at the top etc...

It's a part of a journey to find what works for you and windshields and seats are notorious to be rather individual preference as no one-size-fits-all - ymmv... :deal
    Dirty bike, zephyr424 and Dogslobber like this.
  6. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  7. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW offers test rides so the best solution to find out about buffeting is to visit your local BMW dealer and take a bike out on a test ride. I've owned a 2018 GS and currently own a 2020 GSA and haven't experienced any buffeting but I'm not quite as tall as you. The OEM windscreen allowed to much air in my face so I replaced it with a Puig screen I purchased from Revzilla. The Puig does a great job at creating a nice quiet pocket of air around my helmet and its a couple inches taller than the stock screen.
  8. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a LC GSA. At 6’5” I got the Puig Touring screen. No buffeting in regular highway riding but let’s face it. When it’s windy with a cross wind these bikes are sails basically. When it’s very windy I feel like I’m windsurfing home rather than riding. If you want low buffeting get a K1600 or a Goldwing.
  9. Superadv

Oddometer:
    I did some digging on the forum and it indeed does seem like a major problem on the GSA's no matter which year one buys. BMW doesnt give a hot about the practicality of the windscreens, it's all about what looks good to get them OTD.
    After spending the ridiculous amount of money being asked, it should cost one another $200-$400 to reduce turbulence. Clearly this is a design deficiency. I know, I know, I wont hear the end of it, but I speak the truth. Been there, done that with too many bikes...
  10. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honestly, you're already upset about wind mgt. on a bike that you don't even own. And you disliked the wind mgt. on previous, somewhat similar bikes that you did own. You even sold those bikes because your dislike was so strong.

Rather than expect the third time to be the charm, maybe an entirely different style of bike is the better path to pursue. There are a lot of them out there, and every single one is a compromise.

Worry less & ride more, but life's too short to ride something that's a constant complaint.
    rdbonds likes this.
  11. Superadv

Oddometer:
    Well, the reason for selling the Katoom wasn't entirely due to wind ma agreement, even though that was a co tribute, it was more because of the bloody heat rising up and the multitude of issues I had with it. For the Duc, I just cut my windscreen down to an inch above the upper bolts and that helped alot. If I do decide to give into the MC ownership sickness - never leaves one - then I will prob buy a used 2018 GSA. I've seen a few for sale that are reasonably priced.
    Thanks all for the comments. Cheers.
  12. Superadv

Oddometer:
    Btw, I test rode an RT the other week and couldn't get over how well the boxer carried its weight so low. The balance was fabulous. Wish I would've bought the GSA before the Duc, but the power of that Duc was something to behold. However one doesnt buy an Adv bike for just that purpose...
  13. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    After you actually take LC GSA out for a ride, have a chance to play with windscreen adjustments to suit, you may end at different conclusion other than GSAs have major flaw with their windscreen shape and size... :deal

GS screen which is smaller doesn't work that well for majority of the riders as GSA screen does. And even if GSA screen doesn't work for you, which remains to be seen, there's plenty of takers for your take-off screen to offset the cost of acquiring new screen... No bike works out of the box equally for every rider on the planet.

Some patience in making what you get work for you may be required - ymmv... :deal
    rdbonds likes this.
  14. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    Superadv - Agree with others' recommendation to take one for a test ride and see.

Like seats, shields are a very personal thing...it's really tough to have a one size fits all solution. I also have a Gold Wing. It took 3 shields for me to find the right one (for me)....so even bikes that create a rather large "bubble" can have problematic turbulence.

In general, there are a couple ways to resolve turbulence. Either a smaller shield to put your helmet fully into the wind (but clean, non-turbulent wind) or a higher one, which often creates low pressure on the back side, which causes the air coming off the top edge down into the pocket causing it to tumble (the turbulence often felt). Two piece stacked shields allow air up behind the shield to quiet this down. On my Wing that's a MadStad shield. On my Hexhead, it's a Givi Aeroflo. Both work really well, and both are adjustable. YMMV.
  16. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The RT carries its weight MUCH lower than a GSA, so make sure to ride a GSA, which rather a fat, top heavy pig – compared to a standard GS or an RT. I just owned a 2018 GSA for three years and rode it all over the Southwest. On the other hand, I got the wind management to be incredibly quiet. Quieter than the RT or any other bike I have ridden before. Took a while to sort out but it works for me. I'm transferring that setup now to a new standard GS because I'm tired of the weight and bulk.

I'm 6', 34" inseam, so not a long torso. I sat high on the bike though, about 1" higher than the standard GSA seat in the high position and found the wind noise pretty bad. But I'm very sensitive about noise. I made it work though and ended up super happy with that part of the bike. Could ride it for 16 hour days without issues.
  17. cug

Oddometer:
    Do they work on the current bikes? They did work on my 2018, but don't the new bikes have the single piece plastic and Aeroflow says, they don't fit? Or is that a GS vs. GSA problem?
  18. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would stop digging and start riding because you're going to find a wide variety of opinions based on each individuals experience which may be true for that individual but not necessarily true for you. No motorcycle regardless the cost is going to fit everyone perfectly which is why a robust aftermarket exists for the majority of bikes so people can tweak the bike to better fit the individual rider. I'm fortunate in that other than replacing the windscreen on my GS and GSA every motorcycle I've purchased, nine, has fit me well enough from the factory I didn't need to buy anything else to improve the ride. Don't let other riders experience make the decision for you, rather get yourself out to your nearest BMW dealership and take a test ride on a GS and GSA and then decide for yourself.

Last but not least I believe the GS/GSA is the best selling adventure bike worldwide so BMW must be doing something right. Sure there's always going to be some guys dissatisfied for one reason or another but if sales numbers prove anything it's that those that are unhappy are in the minority of GS/GSA owners.
  19. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2016, I'm not sure about the newer models. You have to contact them about the differences between the GS and GSA, I haven't been around the new models myself.
  20. cug

Oddometer:
    Okay. Thanks.