How big are ADV bikes going to get?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DesertPilot, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They seem to have topped out around 1200 cc, but more and more manufactureres are crowding this limit. Will one of them take the step and go to 1400? 1600? 1800? And will we ever see... the Triumph Rocket Adventure?

2008_Triumph_RocketIII_Adventure.jpg
  2. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Well, BMW now has the R1250GS, and the Harley Pan American is slated to be a 1250cc...so, I guess they are slowly creeping their way there. I could see someone doing a 1300cc in the near future. Not saying they should, only that they probably will.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    There will always be a market for the “ biggest” but my thoughts are 800cc bikes (lighter and just as capable) are where the market will be selling the most adv bikes. Most of my 60 year old+ riding buddies are interested in lighter bikes as they age. I like my Super Tenere, but it is over 600 lbs when loaded......my next big bike will be lighter.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Hopefully all the mfg will go fully in on the 600-800cc size off-road focused ADV bikes vs going up more in size.

It's becoming BS as now all these electronic rider aids are mandatory to ride it in the dirt.

I'd also like to see more action in the 400-500cc mini adv size too as that is probably ideal for most!
  5. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    I think you're spot on... for the market of people who might actually ride on something other than paved roads. Around here, one sees a fair number of adventure bikes whose biggest adventure might be getting compared to the machine parked next to it. I imagine we all know the signs: big, pricy, not a single scratch or speck of dirt anywhere on the motos or spotless new gear of the owners who are comparing features ("Only twelve traction control modes? And why doesn't if have lean-sensitive bluetooth?"). This is not intended as a criticism of those owners, many of whom are far better riders than I'll ever be. But for their particular market segment, there might not be an upper limit on size, horsepower, or (ick) weight.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be most interested in the 300-400cc range. The BMW G310GS is close but needs spoked wheels and a few less pounds. I'd love to see a KLR400 with a 4 gallon gas tank and around 350 pounds wet. As for the ginormous 1200cc and up ADV bikes, there will be a market for them. They are great for two up touring and still manageable on most dirt roads.
  7. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lean-sensitive bluetooth, how could I have lived without it since? :lol3
    I started really worring for the direction big ADV bikes were going when I saw mfg offering Hill Climb Assist :fpalm
  8. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    KTM already has.
    DOGSROOT likes this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will keep growing until they die out or rather their core riders get too old and the pyramid collapse. Since we're talking a decade at most it is unlikely that they grow over 1500cc
    Knuckle Buster and Rockred like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Agree with this. I think “Adventure” and “Off Road” overlap very little for riders who have a big bike, and average skills. I ride with guys that can do crazy stuff on 1090 KTMs. They’d struggle more on a 1250 GS.’’

“Adventure” means many things to many people... as does “off road”.

I will agree it is good to have options in bike capability and size.

My current big bike is a KTM 990 Adventure R. 10” travel front and rear. It is an off road monstor, but a big monster. I struggle with it based on my skill and height.

I had a KTM 640 Adventure many years ago. IF that bike were lighter, that would be the hot ticket for an Adventure bike in my mind.

Barry
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they get much bigger they will have to add 'DBHL' .....'Dropped Bike Hydraulic Lifters'. Remote control of course, so you can sip your coffee while watching the bike right itself.
  12. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I continue to complain about how heavy my 370lb DR650 is...
  13. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smaller for me. Lately I've done more camping with a WR250 than the DL650.
    My ideal is about a 350-450cc twin, <350 lbs.
    Knuckle Buster likes this.
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the "new" Yamaha Tenere' 700. Pricing will determine if I buy.
    Barry likes this.
  15. DesertPilot

Oddometer:
    I too would go for smaller: a 500-650cc twin, less than 400 lbs, fast enough for the freeways around here, but with enough ground clearance and suspension travel to handle the worst roads and perhaps some mild off-road without trying to pretend it's a dirt bike. The F650GS came close, but it's no longer in production. The CB500X almost fills the bill, but 'almost' can be a tricky word -- as in, "They almost survived," "He almost got away from that shark," or "The descent-phase rocket engines almost had enough fuel."

Of course, modern adventure bikes still haven't gotten quite as big as some off-road machines from the old days. Though I suppose this particular one would only count as 'off-road' if you were watching it from the front :D

SteamRoller.4753890772_ee6feeb34a_b.jpg
    Amphib and eakins like this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sales charts will be everything to the mfg.
    That's how they will make decisions.
    Not only their charts but other mfg. results.

Right now sales of the big GS has dominated the global charts for years so everyone's sales must be there too.

But there is talk of a new KLR and of course the 790 & T7 are coming this year globally.
    The 790 & T7 could do so well that this causes a shift in perception.

The KLR was always a top US (only) seller for Kawasaki, often the very top some years, and thus a reboot with a new global bike could really stir things up for the global charts.

Honda & Suzuki have nothing so far in
    this space, but if the KLR goes well they will.

Suzuki is sitting on a DR and DRZ and must do something. I think they will release one global bike update solution.

Honda??? The XRL adios. They go from 250 to 1100 now. That is ripe for a new Dominator or Transalp. Their 1200 ADV bike was a flop.

Will Yamaha ever release something bigger than the WRR and smaller than T7?

BMW goes from 310 (and very street oriented at that) to 850 now and have a big hole here.

Triumph does not seem to be interested in a baby Tiger yet.

KTM is dragging their feet with the 390, while improving the 690.

Ducati plays in a larger space overall.

But...
    Royal Enfield is on to something.

CSC RX4 should sell well as it's priced right.

Super Dual & PR7...long live the big thumper.

I'd say we have more new mini & mid ADV bikes in the future than big pig new ADV bikes.
    Barry and DesertPilot like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Judging by some prices coming out already from the EU (with prices including a 20-30% vat) I suspect the US price will be very agresive. 1000s less than the 790.

That tidal wave of interest is in the back burner for now...but not forever.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I suspect Honda only mildly updated the 500x vs a full on ADV update because they have something else more dirt agressive up their sleeves.

They went with cast 19/17" wheels and standard suspension for a reason...there is a 21/18" machine still under wraps. The Dominator and Transalp names are still ripe to them.

The Japanese are good at watching and spying on each others moves back in Japan so they all seem to know what the other is doing long before we see the reveal.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's the problem they weight and heft is going up while the muscle strength of these aging riders is going down.

Big Dog talks about how the 250 Rally is the right bike for him at his age.

https://www.bigdogadventures.com/HondaRally.htm
    Snapper likes this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    LoL

If only Yamaha double cc/hp and added EFI/better suspension/brakes to TW200 while maintaining weight/price.
    MiketheTexan likes this.