How big are ADV bikes going to get?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DesertPilot, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For hang gliding trips here in the Sierras, Jeep Cherokees rule. They're one of the few vehicles roomy and tough enough to carry half a ton of pilots, gliders, and gear up the washed-out remains of what might once have been a forest service track, but small enough to negotiate that trail without plunging over the edge. You can also carry a dirt bike on back, leave it by the LZ, and ride it up the mountain to retrieve your truck at the end of the day.

Best of all, you can get a good deal buying them used from the mall posers. Would that the same were true of KTMs :D
  2. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually suspect they aren't going to get much bigger, at least in the near future, because it seems a lot of the excitement in this category is being generated by mid size bikes; BMW 850GS, KTM 790 Adventure, Moto Guzzi V85TT, Yamaha Tenere 700, all bikes that have either recently launched or about to launch. Of course, all this is generated by near-term market demand. Who knows what people will want to buy in the future?
  3. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in the Silicon Valley -- i.e., "I have lots of money to spend on motos because I couldn't possibly afford a house" -- area, much of the market demand seems to be for big, immaculately spotless adv bikes that may never have get ridden over anything more challenging than the occasional curb. There's no obvious upper limit to size for bikes in this category. Otherwise, I quite agree with you about the growing excitement generated by mid-size bikes. I hide my checkbook whenever I ride by a KTM dealer least it jump out and make a down-payment on one of those 790s -- checkbooks can do things like that if you don't keep an eye on them...
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the Harley Pan America.
    mitchxout likes this.
  5. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Emissions are the root problem, they're forced to choke them up more and more so they have to grow to keep up with the competition. Maybe it will take a technology we haven't seen yet to bring the weight down and hopefully then we'll see the cc's stop growing or even decrease.
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Dunno.. Seems like all the major manufacturers continue to extract more power per cc while also upping the capacity and meeting emission requirements. I think it's an arms race for horsepower and has nothing to do with off-road capability. Personally I'm all for it as I don't take the big bike on anything more extreme than the odd gravel road (e.g. Dalton Hwy) and I love the performance, even 2-up with luggage.
  7. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    but thats the point.We arent talking about dual sports...and thats the issue here .Big adv bikes are NOT dual sports for those of without the skill of Chris Birch.I am 6 3 and i found my old r100gs a real handfull on rough stuff,even just manouvering the thing.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is not only "rough" Chris Birch type of terrain; loaded adv bike is handful when things get wet and slick. Unloading a beast and trying to lift it while ankle deep in clay mud over hard pack isn't something you want to be part of.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  9. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I like to poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick.
    WooPig, cyclopathic and DesertPilot like this.
  10. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big are Americans going to get?
    JaySwear, CrazyCooter, WooPig and 5 others like this.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I pretty much agree with that, except for the concern for staying within the law. There are lots of roads out west where traffic flows at 80+ mph. In most cases, that isn't legal, but I'm not going to have cars swerving around me to prove a point.

My XL600R had a top speed of 80 mph, which was not quite enough for highways. The weight was not bad off road, though. I even put a paddle tire on it once and took it out on Pismo sand dunes.

My Aprilia 750 has plenty of power (90+) and plenty of top speed (120 or so), but the weight is a bit too much off road. I do take it there, but often feel in over my head on technical stuff.

If I could get a twin cylinder adventure bike that weighed 375 lbs and could do 120 mph I would be in heaven. I don't need electronically adjustable suspension, navigation aids, and other luxuries that add weight. I think I basically want a Suzuki DR750 v-twin made with lighter modern materials.

[​IMG]
    DesertPilot likes this.
  12. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    The old DR750 and 800 were huge singles, not V-twins. Quite idiosynchratic but probably fun to own - if you're tall enough.
  13. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    650 lbs without panniers fully fueled? Is this a realistic goal for HD? Personally, 500 lbs is my max.
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna have to disagree, in that Jeeps CAN be pretty rough and tumble if you set them up right, even relatively stock, especially something like a TJ Rubicon.

Dielectric grease all the electrical. Extend the vent lines to the top of the installed snorkel. Install heavy-wall steel bumpers and a winch. Herculiner the body and frame. Install 1" urethane BL, 1" MML, high-clearance skids, and 33x9.5/15 siped mudders on rims that stuff them inside the flares. Disconnect the antiswaybars, and if you want to flex even more, eliminate the trackbars with triangulated upper control arms.

Huge tires aren't needed. Huge lift isn't needed. 8,000,000 candlepower in lighting isn't needed. A relatively modest rig like described will wheel almost any trail in North America with a skilled driver. If you base it on an LJ Rubicon, it will even tow 3500lb.

I wheeled a relatively stock YJ on 30s/31s for years in places that lifted TJs on 33s/35s could have issues. Siped mudders, a winch, and lockers can take you many places if you're careful behind the wheel. I even used the YJ to tow, and the roofrack could handle a jonboat, kayaks, bicycles, and other cargo. It even topped 20MPG at altitude.
  15. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Yup. That is why they weren't ideal for long distance travel. The V-Strom 650 engine enlarged to 750 would be pretty sweet in a dual sport. Heck, even a more off road oriented DL650 would be sweet.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well then have at it. Try just left of the sternum real hard.

Uhm....errrrr.......username irony.
    WooPig, Motonirvana and rick danger like this.
  17. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run about an 8th of a ton, if I got close to 500 I would put down the fork.
  18. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Suzuki has resisted upping the weestrom's capacity for two decades now. I'm going to assume there's a good technical reason why they haven't.
  19. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Good point. Well, the weestrom actually has decent power. It's no hot rod, but it's quite a bit faster than the KLR650. How about a DR650V? That would complete the use of that engine across their line (along with the SV650).
  20. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I understood your point. But, you then drifted to what constitutes being a poser and that SUV drivers were not posers. Most Jeep (with a J) drivers think everything else is a car with 4wd. I did, and in a way still do. I am not about to leave my 4Runner in the rain with the sunroof open. I try to keep mud out of the Runner also. In my CJ, mud was everywhere and doors and the top were strictly optional in the summertime.

A true Jeep is a dual sport. SUVs are the GS and Teneres of the auto world. AWD cars are just cars.

To me a real Jeep can have the doors taken off and hosed out from one side to the other. A real Jeep has waterproof seats.