How big are ADV bikes going to get?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DesertPilot, Feb 8, 2019.

1. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    totally agree, thats why i think these bikes should not go there....
  2. BlueM00se

BlueM00se 'Cuse LAX Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's kinda funny. There's a thread on here that raises the point that Brand Bashing is for the Birds, but then we have this thread where size bashing is OK! Different tools for different situations. My Triumph Explorer is great for the riding I want to do. Comfortable upright ergonomics, great power, suspension and handling, plenty of electric output for heated gear and auxiliary lights. I can ride it comfortably all day with a smile on my face and easily go on any "maintained" road. Yup, it's too heavy for me to handle on true off road conditions, so I guess it never should have been built and some of you will call me a poser even though I don't have it outfitted to go "off road".

It's amazing the number of people who will put down a bike (and rider) just because the bike wasn't designed for the type riding they choose to do.
    JETalmage and ErictheBiking like this.
  3. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, seems to me only people that have an insecurity about being a poser, would be defending being a poser? There are lots of upright, cushy suspended, full on sport-touring bike/Standard bikes that can go down a gravel road and offer better protection from the wind and elements than your tiger. You don't NEED to defend why you bought your bike to ride around on the road for, but then again don't try to logic out your emotional, illogical decision to buy it.

4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I remember the first time I went riding in Death Valley. I was on my XL600, and about to ride down a narrow ridge into a gravel wash. I was a little apprehensive about it, and paused at the top. At that moment, a guy rode around me, and right down the hill into the gravel with no trouble at all. He was riding a fully loaded BMW R1200GS with a passenger on the back. :eekers

For me, that bike would be strictly pavement and fire roads. For him, it was an all terrain dual sport. It's the rider, much more than the bike.
  5. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say there's been much size-bashing here. People have been remarkably restrained. There also seems to be a general consensus that 1) large adv bikes are an excellent tool for adv touring, 2) they don't seem likely to get too much larger, 3) when things get tough, it's the rider not the bike, and 4) many people would like to see more mid-size bikes like the KTM and 'will they ever get around to releasing it' Yahama in the 500-700cc and under 400 lb range. I found this near-unanimity of opinion quite interesting.

There has, however, been fair bit of Jeep bashing :D
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read a story about the first guy to ride the Alaska Highway. He was an AAF veteran from Alabama and did it on a Harley in 1946, I think. The only gas along the way was sparse and were in 5 or 10 gallon cans. Guys were tougher back then. I bet it weighed a lot. Any bike without a lot of plastic to break can be an adventure bike.
    DesertPilot and mikegc like this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the first (and only) time I went riding in Death Valley. I was on an 83 Yamaha Venture full dress touring bike. I remember looking at the entrance to Titus Canyon and wishing I had a more suitable bike. On my way out I took some torn up twisty paved road through the Panamint Mountains. At one point the pavement ended and there was a frozen creek I needed to cross. I ended up doing it but there was a bit of a pucker factor. Again I wished for a more suitable bike.

Years later when it was time to replace that Venture I bought an R1100GS. I never did any extreme off road or rode it to Starbucks but it was IMO the best all around bike available back in 94. I rode it with my sportbike friends and also did two up trips with my wife.
    bomose likes this.
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    bromax, TheBritAbroad and mikegc like this.
  9. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nor nearly as old as I .
    mikegc likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it just happens and I don't mean Dempster just your regular highway repair detour. As my friend put it nicely "don't come to Mexico during rain season"
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what in your mind ADV bike is "designed for"? Would it include hitting a detour section on paved highway?
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The friend of mine rode Alcan first time in early 70s.. before it got paved. It was different experience back then and those bikes were half the size back then.
    bomose likes this.
  14. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely a different experience. No GPS, Spot, or cell phones. No 9" travel suspensions and heated gear. In 50 years from now we may have our own personal transporter devices to get us out of trouble.:lol3 That's, of course, if the gov't allows us to operate our own vehicles.
    mikegc likes this.
  15. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just a top box on my 1190r and always keep it pretty light because I prefer single day trips with off-road challenges rather than multi-day trips of on-road stuff. Not saying it's the right tool for the job but man there's a ton of satisfaction in following guys on normal dirtbikes on your 500+ lb street bike and staying on their heels.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recall a few stories of guys chasing those old fat guys and wondering "How in the fuck?????"
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  17. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    most definitely.i dont hesitate to ride gravel roads on ANY bike that i have owned.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about if it rains and turns in mudfest?
  19. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    operative word here is GRAVEL .Dirt roads in the rain?Thats a different question.
    DesertPilot likes this.
  20. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my Bonnie on wash day (Saturday). It poured rain on Friday, and I worked on clay and gravel road which became real nasty when it was wet.
    The dirt road was the main reason I chose the Bonnie over a routing cruiser when I was buying.
    WIN_20170910_14_01_13_Pro.jpg
    DesertPilot likes this.