How deep should one go?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Burbankalley, May 15, 2020.

1. Burbankalley

Burbankalley ancient ski patrolle

Oddometer:
    ellensburg pass.jpg How deep should one get ..... into the hack world? On one hand, I read the heavy threads on here and get all slobbery excited about a super hack -- an Expedition sidecar, of course, and a BMW GS, of course, with super cool electric lean, same size car tires all around, the most sophisticated suspension available..... costing something in the nature of $40K and up green ones..... But then I think, "C'mon, fool, you came late to the party, you're an old retired school counselor living on a state pension, S.S., and a 100% military disability ... you're not exactly awash with cash, and furthermore you have a wife you love.... who refuses to get in the thing, and who you can't be more than 600 meters away from without suffering great anxiety..... hell, dude, you don't even have a dog! What are you gonna do with a diamond plated rig like the one you're dreaming about, ride around the block 1000 times?"

I better cool my emotional jets and stick with ol' Rust and Mud, the KLR/Sputnik I rode to Prudhoe Bay and back last summer... It ain't the horse, fool, it's what you do with her..... and ol' Rust and Mud is a whole lot of fun.... kinda like that girl in high school you wanted to be with, but didn't want anybody to know! View attachment 2310127
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which rig would you rather abuse on the road to the Arctic Circle?

I rode the 3 KLR rigs at Vernon Wades sidecar class in "Good Liver", OR, and loved the living hell out of them
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    I've had tons of fun with a couple $5,000 Rigs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy the cool Rig you have!
  4. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    You might consider removing the Sidecar body and replacing it with a diamond plate Truck tool box, saves you some weight for fuel and gear and handier to deal with while Touring.
  5. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    Yeah … I've thought about doing that, even before the Alaska trip. Might do it yet …...
  6. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Here I am again :-)
    You've started off pretty sanely ! I would stay away from allot of weight and stick with minimalist. The most important question being is how do I have time to do this and what do I really need.:-)
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man toys. Some guys do hot rods, others restore stuff they always wished they had when they were in high school. I've got lots of friends who have the expensive hobby of off-road racing. I like airplanes and I always wanted to fly, so a little over 10 years ago SWMBO offered as a B'Day present flying lessons! We live close to one of the coolest little airports in Southern California over in Santa Paula (KSZP) which is non-towered (unicom) and the FOB I was using for my training also taught aerobatics. I did my solo and logged almost 200 student solo hours playing and getting ready for my check ride. Just being at the airport and around all of those really, really cool airplanes, but how much can you afford to spend so you can fly out to some little airport to get what is known as the $100 hamburger? Then it hit me, sorry kids, I can't afford to fly and retire so I basically gave up flying.

But I still have 4 motorcycles in the garage! Sorry, I've digressed into affording man toys.

If you were able to take your rig up to Alaska and back, you have a keeper. I like what Flying Eyeball recommends, take the body off, do a bit of upgrades and some new styling for a tub and "Bob's 'yer Uncle!"

The little Cessna 150 I soloed in, kind of like the KLR of the sky. :lol3

img293.jpg
  8. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You act like you've got a lot of extra time to figure all this shit out

You're Old dude !

Just hang the fuck on and enjoy this roller coaster till it's over

You're havin Fun aintcha ?

9. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Is it a tool or a toy?

If it's a tool, then where can't you go with what you have? What adventure are you going to do that needs something else?

If it's a toy, you had better play with it if you upgrade, other wise you're just throwing money away and sucking up a nice ride that someone else could actually be using.

Don't plan another hack, plan another adventure. Then do it!
  10. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Good advice here....no you certainly do not need all the seemingly exotic 'stuff' that people go on and on about on the net etcetcetc. Good basic well built reliable rig is an excellent thing . Ya do not need a thousand bell and whistles ( farkles or whatever they call them) and you do not have to drink starbucks coffee or wear the latested and suposedly greatest gear. On and on it goes ...wow.

11. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^Top Builder^^
    Owns a KLR outfit
    Strong Bad and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  12. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meh...I wouldn't call him "A Top Builder" that's stretching it a little

There's just not that many folks left around interested in building them anymore plus the really awesome builders are dead

The Old School Craftsman would have considerd him an apprentice at best

nttiawwt...ya gotta start somewhere

13. ErictheBiking

ErictheBiking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OTOH, spend too much and turn a late model 200hp Vmax into a semi adventure rig with raised suspension and extra fuel and every time you just look at it you get a rush of blood to the head and as for climbing aboard and pressing the starter switch on your way to another adventure ??!!!!??

Then hopefully after many years, and you're finally in a nursing home with a little bit of drool hanging off your chin, you look at the huge colour photo of this mighty Vmax rig that's on the wall of your tiny self contained room and the memories come flooding back and you can't help but grin at the utter madness that possessed you at the time when others your age were just sitting in their lounge watching TV with the occasional game of bowls maybe.

Better than leaving an inheritance to relatives who don't really need it and will spend it on a car or an expensive holiday and have nothing to show for it.

So what if the cheque to the undertakers bounces?
    Rakthi, Metalcarver, Kruzof and 4 others like this.
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that being charitable can reduce the burden of karma. It's worth a try.
  15. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done it ad nauseum....it stays the same
  16. Burbankalley

Oddometer:

Ahahahahaha….. matter 'a fact, I am!
    TurTal likes this.
  17. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Sidecar rigs are fun and practical in many ways. Some have solo bikes and sidecar rigs and love them both. Point is that a decent reliable sidecar rig does not have to be that exotic to get the job done, produce smiles etcetc. Nothing against the more exotic outfits so to speak at all but to put the impression out there that a decent functional outfit has to have more money in the modifications than the bike costs is kind of a shame and turns new potential sidecarists away from the sport that many of us love. A good rig should be reliable, safe and handle in a good predictable fashion. Yes , no doubt, there are always 'higher levels, to go to but if the 'magic dust' is perceived to be a necessity and costs more than one is willing to invest into something the game ends before it starts. Yes we have done some pretty wild rigs but we also do a lot of rigs that some would consider 'entry level' outfits. I am not too fond of that term for if a rig is safe, handles well and the owner is happy with it it is good to go. Guess I am a terrible salesperson but it is nice to see some get into this madness with a decent outfit and smile though the miles.
    1bmwmc, BJMoose, Motonirvana and 4 others like this.
  18. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I have had rigs of all shapes and sizes, the ones I remember having the most fun on were all sweet and simple. The amount you spend doesn't always equal the amount of enjoyment you receive.
  19. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    Sweet, simple, light, and sane …. sounds like a winner! Thanks guys ….
    brstar, 3legs and Bobmws like this.
  20. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, the KISS principle has served me well over the years.
    claude stanley, Manks and brstar like this.