How deep should one go?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Burbankalley, May 15, 2020.

1. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It may not make sense, and I would never spend the money and time to build it, but somehow knowing that this exists in the world makes me happy.

BMW Sidecar with RX7 rotary motor - $14900 (half moon bay)

image 1 of 7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    (google map)

2002 bmw r1200rt

VIN: WB1051406F0052160
    condition: excellent
    engine displacement (CC): 1200
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 24000
    paint color: yellow
    street legal
    title status: clean
    transmission: automatic

Rotohak - Custom BMW sidecar rig with 300 HP twin turbo Mazda RX7 engine in trunk of sidecar.
    Looks like a 2002 BMW 1150RT with a California sidecar but the BMW motor is a fake - just valve covers on the side of the faring which hides a 15 gallon fuel cell.
    The engine drives both rear wheels through a VW automatic transaxle, directly to the sidecar wheel and through a cog belt to the motorcycle wheel. Shifting is done with a twist grip on the left handle bar like a Vespa.
    Mike corbin did the seat and sidecar upholstery.
    Not for the faint of heart. This rig is very fast and a handful on hard acceleration. Under normal driving conditions it's a pussy cat and can cruise at any speed with one hand on the bars.
    Featured in numerous motorcycle magazines both nationally and in Europe.
    Rakthi, Burbankalley and TurTal like this.
  2. Burbankalley

Burbankalley ancient ski patrolle

Oddometer:
    "Not for the faint of heart" is a telling comment.... One can over-possess something. In 2018, I finally did the Run For The Wall on my single Wing 1800, with my brother-in-law on his new Indian... It was an emotional time for me, but well worth doing. A few days after the run, my brother-in-law got side-swiped in Washington D.C. traffic... he was unhurt, but the collision took his front crash bar clean off! On our way home, we stopped at Sturgis and he visited the Indian shop there to see if he could get another crash bar. They had a beautiful full bagger Indian on display, the big one, with a gorgeous silver paint and all the trimmings. The price tag? $46,000! The salesman slid over to me and asked, "Shall I start the paperwork?" I laughed and said, "I couldn't even take this thing out in the rain! Does anyone buy these things?" "Yup, " he replied. "Three this year...." Possessions are sly and they can creep up on you until they own you, and not the other way around. Davebig kinda set me straight on this..... I'm gonna concentrate on how to make my KLR/Sputnik the best cheapo rig in history! Gonna start with suspension.... think I'll call Cogent and see what they can do with my ugly duckling dream bike...
  3. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big bore kit...upgrade the brakes...do the dohickey...exhaust...suspension and seat

That's a good chunk of money for the old girl but the overall improvement in handling and performance make it worth every penny

https://procycle.us/model/kawasaki/klr650/brakes

https://www.partsgiant.com/p382541-...fBIKk6ua6xBURhvHeRkVDmSwGzX4036hoCk7gQAvD_BwE

https://www.coremoto.com/product_p/...P6_8XcAUFppqrialdmERKllnxpgGLz5xoCwkkQAvD_BwE

https://store.schnitzracing.com/sch...4RUrbniz8kKa0cVOpGB4VmM9P12gmyXxoCgh0QAvD_BwE

https://store.schnitzracing.com/eag...wYa8uH5pfnK0BF_zhy9JAWPXvcRSk9ihoCMJIQAvD_BwE

https://seatconcepts.com/collections/kaw-klr650

https://procycle.us/model/kawasaki/klr650/exhaust

https://procycle.us/model/kawasaki/klr650/suspension

Or

Save yourself the headache and sell that puppy then put that money towards a new Ural and post a picture of your smiley face
  4. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    Wow, Turtal, thanks for the education! Not quite ready for a Ural though.... not man enough!
    rg sw wa., brstar and TurTal like this.
  5. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol...I was just fun-n ya about the Ural

You've got a great little rig and the KLR responds well to upgrades

The great thing about the KLR is it's damn near bullet proof in stock form with just a few weak spots

The doohicky should be your 1st fix

A steel braided brake line...pads and rotor would be next

The rest is up to ones budget but upgrades can be done incrementally

As far as suspension goes do the front with the rear...you can't dial the bike in properly mixing old and new

If the stock seat works for ya save the money

You can uncork the stock exhaust and mod the airbox for a slight gain

The benefit of the big bore....no more oil consumption...more steady power throughout the rev range and much smoother engine vibes

I'd do the big bore last as it includes down time if you're going to do it correctly

A properly upgraded KLR is a badass compared to stock

Here's some links you may find interesting

Best of luck and keep us posted !

6. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Turtal -- yeah I had done the doo and the Thermal Bob on my first KLR, a 2007...... I just didn't have time to do it to my 2019 before the Alaska trip last summer.... going to put it inside soon for a valve adjustment, the doo, and another Thermo Bob..... brakes and suspension later..... And I'll stick with KLRs for my Sputnik tug for awhile, lots of donor bikes around if this one blows....
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and TurTal like this.
  7. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    Was just advised by one of the tech heavies that the doo is not really required on the Gen 2s. I'll be doing the Thermo Bob on my 08. Fortunately, I don't have the oil consumption issues on mine like some of the 08s and 09s do. I like my KLR so much that I'm considering getting another, but with the original equipment.

How does your KLR steer with the car on it. When I got mine DL650/Sputnik back from DMC, the steering was very heavy, which Jay told me about ahead of time. I took it back about a month later and he installed the leading legs.

I must say that I to have been frequently wondering if I should upgrade to a different car and bike, especially after seeing my friends 2020 Ural, but, nah, my rig is doing just fine and serves my purposes. It's paid for and doesn't eat anything so I'm staying with it.

So where did you get that tonneau cover for your Sputnik?
  8. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to spend money on suspension, talk to Jay about this...
    101_0325-e1424985111278.jpg
  9. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    When I first visited DMC, getting the grand tour by Jay, he had a KLR with a Sputnik that he was selling and I considered it. We also discussed fork modifications to ease the steering. Drone rode over just after I brought it home to take a look at my new rig and we also discussed my options for easing the steering. One trip around in a circle in front of my house riding his BMW rig and I was sold on the need to do it.

I went with the legs, which just moves the axle forward partly because I wasn't sure if I'd like this new hack world and might be converting the Strom back to solo. I found it to be more fun then the law should allow though and am hooked.

The legs are sturdy and do the trick. They are not what I would call cheap but I would say a good value for custom fabricated parts.

thumbnail_IMG_7300.jpg

Edit: Tur Tal, thanks much for Mason's videos. I watched that first one and am not going to ride my KLR again until I've done those checks, with the exception of the rear suspension, which will come when I install a new rear tire and the doohickey check.

Attached Files:

10. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. MT
  11. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Well, this is about as deep as you can go and still come out the other side.....................

Testing the then new, 2014 fuel injected rig in a mud hole during the annual Moab Ural event, April of 2014.

[​IMG]

Dave
  12. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    So you see but here is the problem. Well first things first.

After watching the videos TurTal posted I went out to my shop and updated my white board with "things to do" for each of my bikes. The first under KLR was to check the header bolts and they WERE BOTH LOOSE with only 5k miles on my 08 KLR. I'll be checking every other item on Mason's check list before taking it out again. And by way of comment and a pic, posted elsewhere on the forum, my KLR is not suitable for hacking. It's my Baja bike.
    thumbnail_IMG_7541.jpg

And going to the heart of the "when is enough enough"? I keep telling myself that my Strom/Sputnik is enough and then two friends just bought Urals. My local friend Steve bought a 2020 and it is beautiful. The fit and finish on it is so much better than any Ural I've seen in the past. At the same time my Canadian friend and riding buddy, with whom I've ridden throughout the western states and Canada, just bought a 2016 Ural Gear up with about 3k miles on it. IM JEALOUS AND WANT ONE.
    Steve's Ural.jpg
    Steve's 2020 with Louise the Beautiful in the Car

Gear Up.jpg

Gord's 2016 Gear Up with Cha Cha in the car. She was initially very reluctant to get in the car but now when he takes her to the shop to even work on the bike she jumps right in. He installed a pedestal in front of the seat and a mattress so she has a very comfortable ride.

thumbnail_IMG_0469.jpg
    Is that a face only a mother could love or what?
    Bobmws, marret, rg sw wa. and 5 others like this.
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 years from now, I'll be disappointed if I'm still waking up and breathing!
  14. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    This!
  15. Burbankalley

Oddometer:

Wife and I made the cover … crude but serviceable ….
  16. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    As with anything, trying one is necessary before you will want to start feeding money into one. Buying the bike you like is reasonable easy, picking up a used sidecar can be relatively inexpensive, but properly joining the two can be quite expensive! It's not the bike or the sidecar, it's what's in between that will make all the difference. In both safety and expense. This is one of the reasons to look at a motorcycle and sidecar that were meant to be joined, like a Ural, Dnepr or a Chang Jing. Test rides are ok, but you really NEED to have one to use daily for at least a year (to not only learn but to get used to and start having fun). Used ones are always available, somewhere.
    doynebruner, davebig and rg sw wa. like this.
  17. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    9A05DD0C-AB35-4A0F-8E6C-9CF6D533FF9F.jpeg
    Metalcarver, davebig and DRONE like this.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The question was: “How deep should one go?”

The right proper answer should been: “Balls deep”.

:hide Lighten up gents
    Bobmws, High Octane and davebig like this.
  19. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    The late FR700 once suggested " no one goes to their grave regretting a sidecar purchase".
    That's fine he was a renegade bachelor like me. The important bit is to figure out how you intend to use it and don't buy more than you need. I started out with expedition heavyweight, but after a bit more time I like them lighter and sportier.
    rg sw wa., Burbankalley and Bobmws like this.