How did the Alpine Rally go?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ray, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ray

ray Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Removed
  2. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    I had a good time, no snow and surprisingly mild overnight, only -2. Had a good ride, did a pile of dirt on the way there and back. Our sheep was cooked to perfection by 7.30.

A few piccies of my group at, http://www.rijvers.id.au/Alpine_04/index.htm

Greg
  3. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was a bit dubious about the petrol bomb under the bridge, after all it isn't that dissimilar to a Molotov cocktail, however it was a tremendous site.

Yes, it wasn't really cold and there was no snow and the Cabramurra to Khancobin road was open for the first time in June since I can remember. Last year I rode up to Cabramurra to be greeted by 2 metres of snow, this year none, although a blizzard was starting late on Sunday and came on Monday and now the road is closed and snow is quite widespread.

Good to meet you Greg.

Mick.
  4. Mick Fagan

Oddometer:
    Ray, it wasn't exactly hot going over the top. We stopped at a mountain hut and I decided to take a few pictures so I took my gloves off. The wind was howling across the plain and my hands became quite cool, quite quickly.

On the way home on Monday I rode through three storms, they were interesting as we didn't see any point in stopping and getting soaked, although quite a few cars pulled over as their wipers probably couldn't handle the water on the windscreen.

Mick.
  5. n0rc0

n0rc0 n00b

Oddometer:
    Whats a "stones fire bomb"?

Looks awesome!! Theres a pyro in us all ;)

Edit: Sorry, I've just become one of those fools who replies without reading the whole post
  6. dave4462

dave4462 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what is Mr Hennings claim to fame?
  7. Mick Fagan

Oddometer:
    Henning, is his christian name, his family name is Jörgensen, he was born in Denmark, but raised in Australia.

Basically the alpine rally was started by the late Paul Giles in 1969. My first one was in 1973. For whatever reason Paul pulled out of the rally organising bit as he got older and Henning decided that there was a need for a basic rally and took over the running of it.

The organisers provide the place and we turn up and fend for ourselves. No music, no food, no entertainment. It's just a camping get together held in early winter in the Snowy Mountains for motorcyclists. It really is a good one, I've been to about 15 of them, some with snow some with mud and some with unbelievable rain followed by mud.

One of the interesting stories Henning's father told was when he was learning English. Apparently he was told, you chop a tree down and then you chop it up! He found this quite amusing.

Mick.
  8. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    None I know of.
    Yep Giles started the alpine and ran it for a long time. Along the way there were a few troubles with people coming in over private property .. Things like that do try the patience of the organizers .. Henning took it up when Giles stopped running it.
    My first was '72... I've a badge to prove it :D just as well other wise I would not what year it was!
  9. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Frank,

Do you know a bloke called RAD, rode an R75/5 and was annual Alpine Rally attendee. His name was Andy Radcliffe from memory. I worked with him in Brissy 20 years ago.

Michael
  10. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Not that I recall. Do remember that back then the rally was well attended .. not uncommon to see 1,000 bikes at the rally.
  11. Mick Fagan

Oddometer:
    I had a phone call from Henning today, nothing at all to do with this thread. I mentioned the thread to him and asked if he had any claim to fame.

He mentioned his claim to fame was that he went to Rooty Hill High School, which is on state route 69. I believed him as I have eaten at the Rooty Hill servicemans club which is next door to the school.

Frank, he said to say hello to you.

Mick.