1. eNewsletter Sign Up

How do HD clubs pick their "road captains?" (rantish)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally...someone else who sees the silver lining that beckons from within the herd of gnardly toad-bisons. :evil
  2. Berto

Berto Inherently Floridian Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can't get around 30 HDs all with loud pipes rumbling along a four lane highway with center turn lane you are not trying very hard.:evil
  3. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damnit, now I wish I could jump on my bike and go find one of these processions and zip into the middle of them, wearing my Road General jacket because that trumps the Road Captain, and then they would have to follow me. Of course, when I don't go straight to a bar, they will be seriously confused.

Hell, even my Westy seems capable of driving faster than these guys. If I can pass you in my Westy with its stock engine, there is something seriously wrong.
  4. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    Thats a rally. What I said is most actual clubs are know for traveling fast, and tight formation, at those high speeds.

I've never rode in a group ride. But the road captain I imagine is there just to keep everyone together and in a group. Big deal.

Now what about those damn funeral processions?
  5. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    What pisses me off in general, is people riding in the left lane. WI is bad for that, seems I get to other parts of the country and they are better for moving over.

One time going to Sturgis, on I-90 in MN, I came on a group of 6 or 8 bikes, one in each lane, and riding to the outside of the lane.

Looking back it was not the safest to do, but I rode right down the middle of the lane. The look on there face was awesome.

They were probably doing around 80, which was still slower then the people behind them.
  6. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I did something like that in downtown Helsinki in summer 2009. HOG had some kind of european ride-in out in the boon docks and the biker crowd just flocked to the country. It was at the same time as the European Gold Wing convention (coincidentally?) picked northern Finland for their yearly ride in. Suffice to say there were a lot of bikes running around.

The Monday after the HD gathering ended the streets of Helsinki were just jammed to the limit with HD's trying to get to the ferry terminals for the boats back to, well, anywhere: Travemunde, Gdansk, Tallinn, Stockholm, you name it, they all leave from Helsinki and there's no way back to mainland Europe that doesn't require (1) a visa to pass through Russia or (2) 1500 very long, very boring kilometers up and around the Gulf and into Sweden. (interesting to note that the Gold Wingers must have opted for Option (2)....:rofl)

I didn't have time to wait for the rolling roadblock of noise and exhaust so I just made my way between, around, behind, and basically any which way but over them through town. What a mess. No aggressivity or anything, but I just wasn't waiting and the Dakar can handle tight urban riding. I utilized a few lane splits, a few run-arounds, coupla threaded needles as I like to call them, and a bike path, but I made it through.:deal

In answer to the original OP: yes, as a Harley rider also, I can say that those groups of idiots pick the most dedicated member to be the road captain. And in a group of scooter trash, the trashiest, most obnoxious s.o.b. is the one that has the respect of the group, and thus becomes the dicknut in charge. It's the main reason why I never join Harley Group rides...or ANY group ride of more than three bikes. If I want to go that slow, I'll take my mountain bike. :lol3
  7. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I am a Wisconsin native, and that shit pisses me off to no end. WTF part of "Drive to the right, pass to the left" can they not understand in Wisconsin??

I can say that here in Europe, you would end up with an Audi up your ass in about 5 minutes driving like a Wisconsinite.
  8. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    :lol3

What would you suggest I do? Cut him off and force the whole group to stop so I could tell them they were being dumbasses? Or perhaps I could yell at him through his bike-to-bike comset? Did I mention that I looked over at him to acknowledge him when I was finally passing and the dumb fucker completely ignored me? Or maybe I could follow them to their destination and "have a throw down" when we get there because that's what real "riderz" do? Or I could politely tell them they were riding like fools and blocking traffic for miles? And I bet they would listen too!

Or maybe...just MAYBE...these guys could ride like their little once a month Sunday HD pride American thunder pirate parade is not the only fucking conveyance on the road. But that would be silly because everyone knows HDs are the only "real" motorcycles. I guess I rode 150 fake miles on Sunday on a fake motorcycle so I don't count.

Aaaaaaaand welcome to the basement. :D
  9. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    You can save some typing if you just put 'fag'.
  10. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    We get every major club attending the "rally". They do not travel fast, in tight formations or at high speeds. They ride like assholes to assert their presense. Kind of like a dog running around pissing on every tree in the park. I'm 41 and have been to the races every year since I was 17. If I had a dollar for every douchecunt procession holding up traffic I've seen over the years I could pay off my mortgage.
  11. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Damit! If there's riders (even cagers) that want to ride a quicker ride -- pull to the right and let them by! What's the big friggin deal!

I agree w/the OP. I encounter this rude behaviour all the time in the Shenandoah Valley and particularly in the WV twisties. Why do so many of these cruiser, poser pirate types want to tard those of us riding a more spirited ride or even want to go simply the speed limit?:hmmmmm I don't get it. Then the nerve to :flip me off when I finally do manage to get around them despite their best efforts to keep me from doing so?

Somewhere in one of the m/c rags I read in the last year, one of the regular columists was deliberately run off the road by one of those pirate groups in a pass and he was severely injured.
  12. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Yes. Even Southpark agrees.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WZ5w-IwEHO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. RNYC

RNYC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'm more offended by the misspelling of the word "reverend" as a screen name :evil
  14. dhillr

dhillr Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  15. King_Panther13

King_Panther13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ceri, awesome response.

Being a Florida driver where every lane is the slow lane, the speed limit is the suggested minimum, going the limit or any less than five over means you're going to get tailgated, and at the same time, every lane is the passing lane, I get a bit of a kick out of this.
  16. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Most of the public is not cautious regarding these morons because they are tough enough to fist fight, but because they are stupid enough to fist fight over a traffic violation. Personal experience suggests that most of the jerks will back down if push comes to shove.

Civilian, is that the new term for people with no criminal record?
  17. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Ceri, I agree. We've got a couple of classics coming out of the garage in the next year but neither will be road bikes. A 13hp Indian that weights 600lbs just is not safe in traffic.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Antisocially distanced

Oddometer:
    It's a term of distinction that has been stretched beyond its elastic limits.

The word civilian is now used to segregate your group (whatever that group may be) from the rest of society. Some of the fine citizenry that have availed themselves of the term (i.e., referring to everyone outside of their own little niche as "civilians") include movie stars, biker clubs, and so on.

Perhaps the most galling application of the "civilian" label occurs where law enforcement is concerned. Unless the LEO in question is a sworn and serving member of the armed forces, then he too is in fact a "civilian". This particular usage on the part of law enforcement is galling because it is dangerous, where the continued militarization of law enforcement, and the lousy "us vs. them" attitudes, are concerned.
  19. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Road debris.
  20. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    He can ride circles around your overpriced geriatric gyno chair.