How do HD clubs pick their "road captains?" (rantish)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fine with me, more open roads for me to enjoy.
  2. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    This is where I start wishing I had bought that GoPro camera at the recent bike show so I could have some vid evidence :wink: but that would mean attending one of the group rides ... so no thanks.

Maybe in your locality you see otherwise but here the numbnuts can be riding any sort of bike.
  3. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you here. There aren't any mountains here, but there are plenty of backwater places within a few hours ride that are absolutely great roads. This is where i see the most sport touring, standard, dual sports, etc. Not so many super sports or cruisers. Stay close to town, main roads, and bike nights, the vast majority are on cruisers, followed distantly by fully faired supersports. It seems like the riders who ride to be seen riding pick a cruiser or supersport.

Not surprisingly, those are the bikes you see on craigslist all the time with absurdly low miles.

Of course, there are exceptions to that rule. The guy who showed me the best roads rides a 30K dollar Harley Bagger. He's a typical bar to bar Harley rider, the only difference is that he has a rule of 100 miles between each beer.
  4. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

We don't attend, we meet for breakfast and then go riding.

If you don't want breakfast you can meet us at the next stop.

Like I say we are all friends, brought together by motorcycles.

:thumb
  5. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't ride near as much of some of you guys but have been privileged to do a few cross county trips on the bikes and have traveled a good bit in cars through most of the US except the PNW and I make a point to look for bikes when traveling.

Cruisers dominate everywhere I've been. Sure the percentage changes in some areas but cruisers still make up more than 50% of the bikes I see.

Look around wherever you travel and where you stay for the night if away from home. Unless your camping the odds are you will see more cruisers "traveling" than other styles and I speculate that cruiser riders choose their bikes for comfort and not performance much the same way many of them choose a roof over their head and a bed at night rather than a tent. Cruiser riders tend to be older and with a slow down and enjoy the ride attitude. Nothing inherently wrong with that, just a different mindset.

In regard to riding in packs, what I've started seeing a lot here in the southeast is younger black riders in large groups on sportbikes many with extended swingarms and riding in tight packs just like the cruiser guys.
  6. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Sounds good ... and those are the sorts of rides we like.

2 x bacon sammiches please :wink: we'll collect when in your country next year maybe :norton

Seriously though ... from what I see it is more about mindset than bike type. A lot of people seem to throw all their roadcraft tenets out the window and amp up their egos when riding in a group. I call it Lemming Syndrome ...
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few of those guys in packs. Get them out on the curvy mountain roads and they're just as slow as the cruiser guys.......................sometimes slower.
  8. MisterPX

MisterPX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We got a name for those guys out here, BBB. black booty busa's. Streched swingarms, fancy paint, high reving, fast in a straight line, but gotta roll 15 under in teh corners.
  9. MisterPX

MisterPX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the lead. Break teh 40 down into 4 packs of 10. Pick the most expereienced guys who know the routes, and make them your squad leaders, you ride plt sgt; maybe lead the first pack, maybe roll last to catch stragglers, maybe ride from gorup to group seeing how things are going.
  10. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't think a stretched Busa is going to be very good in the twisties.:1drink
  11. Chromer

Chromer So, a funny thing has happened

Oddometer:
    Well, all's ok then. They surely leave lots of room on the inside for a block pass. :loaded
  12. inline4

inline4 Long timer

Oddometer:

better; ten groups of four...with 5 miles between each group.

there are others who don't want these clowns holding upp traffic.
  13. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    ROAD CAPTAIN TEST

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=235><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="30%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][​IMG]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="70%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]When the Road Captain taps his boot, it means:<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]
    1. He is checking to make sure it hasn’t fallen off.
    2. There are no gas stations nearby, we’ll all be walking soon.
    3. Time for a bathroom stop.
    <!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=235><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="49%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][​IMG]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="51%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]When the Road Captain taps his gas tank, it means:<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]
    1. He is checking to make sure it hasn’t fallen off. (If you’ve answered "1" for these two questions, you ought to check out Velcro.)
    2. He doesn’t have a gas gauge and he’s checking his gas by the tone the tank makes when he taps it.
    3. Time for a bathroom stop. (This is for you beer and coffee drinkers out there - every stop is a bathroom stop.)
    4. Time for a gas stop.

<CENTER><!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=235><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="46%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][​IMG]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="54%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]An arm extended high over the Road Captain’s head while he shakes his hand with a limp wrist means:<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]</CENTER>​
    1. We’re approaching the Montrose area.
    2. A yucky bug hit his hand and he’s trying to shake it off.
    3. Loosen up the pack.
    <!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=235><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][​IMG]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="80%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]An arm with the index and pinkie fingers extended high over the Road Captain’s head means:<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]
    1. Split the pack into two single lines. This maneuver is performed before a turn that he’s not sure of. One pack will go in each direction. That way, half of us will be going the right way.
    2. He’s not an Aggie fan. Caution: this may antagonize any Aggies on the road.
    3. Return to the normal two abreast formation. (This is an alternative for the "V" signal.)
    <!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=235><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="36%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][​IMG]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="64%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]Hand over his head, fingers down, while the Road Captain twists his hand like he was unscrewing his helmet means:<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]
    1. His helmet is screwed on too tight.
    2. He has a screw loose.
    3. He just missed a turn.
    4. We’re going to turn around. (Answers 3 and 4 are both correct.)
    <!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=235><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="54%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica][​IMG]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]
    </TD><TD vAlign=top width="46%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]The Road Captain’s passenger smacks him up the side of the head means:<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=comic sans ms, arial, helvetica]
    1. He’s going too fast.
    2. He should stop looking at the blonde in the Mustang.
    3. He forgot to unkey the intercom for that last comment.
    4. She is checking to make sure that his helmet is strapped securely. If his helmet goes flying, it wasn’t. (Any of these answers or many others may be correct. It’s probably best to not ask.)
    [/FONT]
  14. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's yer problem with aggies?

Aggies are good honest working bikes! The border collies of the 2 wheeled world!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    JOOC, I read up on the "Rules of the Pack". I've figured this out bit-by-bit over the years, but thi sis the first time I've read up on it.

This is just the top hit with Google, there are others:

http://www.formanharley-davidson.com/hog/localhogchapter_chapter_riding_rules.asp

I got a chuckle out of this one: :lol3

16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]GROUP RIDING WORCESTER HOG STYLE [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Terms & Techniques Part One [/FONT]
    Whether you've been riding motorcycles for decades or days, a Group Ride demands special skills and disciplines. These skills are both obvious when pointed out and easily acquired. To travel safely for any distance, each rider must temporarily relinquish some of those cherished personal liberties and assume some measure of responsibility for both self and group. To behave otherwise is to invite great risk and excessive danger. Riding with "the group" is a choice and is never mandatory.
    With the continuing rapid growth of our Chapter, much has lately been made of the vast differences between riding in a large group as opposed to putting along solo or with a friend or two. We have members of long standing, newer members with years of saddle time, members returned after years away from motorcycles, members younger and older relatively new to the lifestyle. Knowledge of the terms and techniques of organized riding spreads across the same spectrum.
    Based in common sense, and loosely analogous to military formations or cattle drives of the Old West, procedures have evolved over time to enable large amounts of individual motorcycles to travel much like a single unit. A really big run can be an exhilarating experience for both riders and observers.

Putting along + cattle drive = exhilerating?????:hmmmmm
  17. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Andylaser... Dude that was hilarious! :rofl:rofl
  18. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Yep, the Worchester site is where the Pack Rules that I quoted was swiped from.

Other Rules that were humorous or useful were:
    The last rule quoted is probably what should be done if you need to merge/cross-over a Rolling Roadblock when trying to get on an Interstate.

See "Merging into a Floatilla"
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790444
  19. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoever put the approval for blocking intersections in those group riding regulations is obviously not an attorney. If there was ever an accident resulting from use of that tactic, that HOG chapter and all of its members would be liable for damages, as well as the sponsoring dealer and the organization as a whole.

20. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    if all you know is driving a minivan then it is