How do HD clubs pick their "road captains?" (rantish)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but the problem is that in the event of a mishap THEY will have a lot of people willing to testify against you. You may prevail, but the legal fees would be a killer.

The only time I encountered a blocked intersection I pulled up to the intersection, indicated to the Blocke that he needed to stop his group and let me by. He didn't so I pulled closer to the intersection and put my hand up until someone "blinked" and stopped. It took 8-9 bikes and a half-dozen rigid digits to get that done. Being older, less foolish and wiser now, I doubt that I'd pull that stunt again. Maybe... :lol3
  2. Reaper Pete

Reaper Pete n00b

Oddometer:
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM, not one, not two, but the whole damn crew... Everybody is guilty of being Degenerates as soon as you throw a leg over a Harley Davidson... Does that include a XR750 Flat Tracker, or a V Rod on the Drag Strip, or just Cruisers that may share the same small stretch of road with Y'all enraging the voting public??? I thought the question was," How do HD clubs pick their Road Captains??? :deal Just asking...
  3. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    All that has to be done is to show that they illegally blocked traffic and disobeyed a traffic signal and justified it in their group ride manual. Not difficult at all.
  4. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just do it. Fuck em. ride around the outside in the lane or dive the apex and power on and be gone.
  5. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    If by "HD Clubs", the OP is referring to HOG chapters, their Road Captains (and other officers in the chapter) are elected to their position by the members of their chapter.
  6. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Can't you just see Barney Fife telling Thelma Lou all about the day he got to be road captain? :rofl

[​IMG]
  7. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Positive experience with a couple HD guys on the road today. I was lane splitting (SoCal) a bit quicker than I probably should, and caught up to a pair of HD guys - jackets, patches, zz top beards, etc... they were staggered and moving with the cagers. I dropped in behind the second guy (would've had to buzz him to get by on the right) and as soon as he saw me in the mirror, he moved left (single file) behind the lead. I moved through and gave a wave.

First time I've ever had hog riders let me through. That said, these guys didn't look like 'weekend rebels', more like biker gang.

The weekend rebels usually are having a hard enough time getting their bike to do what they want that I don't think they have the excess mental capacity to do much else beyond ride slow. We're probably mistaking intense concentration for angry glaring. Or not.
  8. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    And then a not so pleasant experience this latest saturday - coming home from work (yeah - saturday) at about noon, and I decide to ride the scenic route, so I detour up to mulholland and take the route that goes up past the rock store. Never done it on a weekend before - big mistake. Just as I'm trying to turn from Las Virgenes onto mulholland, the light goes red and I stop before making my turn to the right. Here comes a thundering herd of hogs moving at no faster than 20 mph. Probably a total of about 50 of them. Not bikers. pirates. I make my right hand turn onto mulholland and groan.

I stayed behind them for about 10 minutes, and after seeing no signs of them giving way, and three sportbikers stacked up behind me, too - I started *carefully* passing on their left and tucking into their formation when needed. Took me a couple minutes, but I finally got past them all just before I reached the rock store. Rock store parking lot was jammed with bikes, mostly of the sportbike or harley type.
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Any obvious animosity from those you passed? Any deliberate blocking? If not, you were lucky!
  10. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Yup, a little attempt to squeeze together and/or move the left of the lane to force me further over the double yellow. I was trying to pass while staying on the right hand side of the road, but once they squeezed left, I straddled the line and crossed it when there was room. Funny thing about squeezing together, they close one hole, another opens! I'd just hit the gas and zip ahead and tuck in there.

Ironically, the only one who seemed cool about the whole thing was the leader up at the front - he gave me a wave as I went by. :lol3
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Was he waving with one finger? :D
  12. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    because then nobody would pay attention to them.
    Team Vegas likes this.
  13. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    This.