How do HD clubs pick their "road captains?" (rantish)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 13, 2011.

1. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Geeze, just twist the throttle over and go past. I've only ever had one bike that was unable to easily smoke a Harley, and it's name rhymes with Goldwing. Quit bitching about the slow HD's, and complain about your own slowpoke bike. I'd like to see them try and block me on my daily ride. And if the get in front of the wing, well it doesn't go that fast either.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I heard that they meet at Starbucks and the first one to say "rantish" in a sentence is declared "Road Captain".
  3. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    "Somewhere in one of the m/c rags I read in the last year, one of the regular columists was deliberately run off the road by one of those pirate groups in a pass and he was severely injured."

This "alleged" incident was discussed at length in this forum and the general consensus was that it was BS.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  4. RottVet

RottVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am an old guy, took driver's education over 40 years ago. Live in open country, with just one interstate (4 lane) highway nearby. We were instructed very firmly that the RIGHT lane is the driving lane. The LEFT lane is the passing lane; ie, you only pass a vechicle(s) in that lane, returing to the RIGHT as soon as this act was accomplishied. I don't care if it is 30 mc's, one semi, one scooter or one car, just get your carcass back in the right lane to drive!!! What is hard about that? BTW, push/pull the accelerator to get around said vechicle, pull back in , and then resume you cruise control or whatever! If everyone would do that, then this kind of thread would be irrelevant!!:norton
    Oh, and one other thing, we are all motorcyclists. Everything WE do reflects on us all. These so called "road captains" should think about that as well!
  5. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    I've seen rolling roadblocks of Beemers. This summer I came upon a group of ATGATT mainly BMW mounted riders up in NH this summer who seemed to not be able to ride the speed limit. They were doing 5-10 miles under, on some of the best winding roads around. A couple of them had the habit of stretching their left leg out occassionally (but they were getting really close to the road) and I kept thinking, that guy is going to rip his leg off, about a mile later, his boot caught a ripple and he almost went down. After that I passed when safe and a couple of them gave me the finger, and it wasn't in the ADV friendly salute kind of way.

Douchebags don't only ride HD's. They ride everything. And if you aren't at least riding the posted limit, please let me pass. If i feel you are making it unsafe for me, I will pass when it is safe for me to so (preferably with consent, because hey, that's how i roll.)
  6. Some Mook

Some Mook Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer:
    All heated rhetoric aside, it is evident that the majority of the people who posted in this thread feel that the actions described by the OP in the original post of the group of motorcycles being followed was unacceptable.

I pose a question to the few people who posted that seemed to indicate that these group actions are acceptable, without resorting to name calling etc...

My question deals with perspective.

Would anyone who feels that a large group of motorcycles traveling enmasse has a right to dominate the roadway, restricting and limiting the access to the PUBLIC road to other users? 'Follow us, we control the road...'

Would the same group also feel that it is within their rights to, if stopped at a gas station or restaurant, bar, etc... push to the front of the line of other people who were waiting their turn?

It is the level of rudeness that I do not understand. I think that other persons object to this behavior because it is rude. It sends the message "you are not part of our group, you do not count as a human being. You must wait until we are done doing what we are doing" and that slap-in-the-face attitude is probably what triggers so much anger in the other road users.

Am I wrong? Is the type of group riding described not in any way/shape or form an indication of rudeness and an overt stepping on the rights of other roadway users?

Passing such a large group when persons within that group are making clear moves to try and prevent such passing presents more risk than some are willing to take - and if an accident should occur, the person doing the over-taking will almost certainly be found at fault in a court of law, to say nothing of all the un-biased witness accounts that would accompany any such incident.

If it isn't rude, how so?

If it is rude, is that a consideration?

The majority of the group riders are probably not criminals, but regular people who enjoy being part of a group. Unfortunately good people at heart can sucumb to mob mentality.
  7. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    There was a letter in Sport Bike magazine last year in which the rider described the actions of an MC club name escapes me. He rode to the front of the group and one of the lead riders swerved out and knocked him off the road into a ditch. He suffered serious injury.

I have to say on all honesty that I don't recall being balked by a large group in New England. I have run into small groups of the "Wild Hogs" persuasion, who I honestly think just don't understand what is or is not a reasonable pace on something like Route 100 in VT.

In fairness, I've also had a BMW blast past me at about 20mph faster than me: then pull over in the next town a few miles down the road. Dick.
  8. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Lengthy Member

Oddometer:
    Well he would if it wasn't for our road captains stopping him. Duh.
  9. VTWIN-The Real VTWIN

VTWIN-The Real VTWIN ZEPHYR

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. Reverand Roadblock

Reverand Roadblock Where are my pants

Oddometer:
    sigh.....Really?

:lol3:rofl:lol3:lol3

ya got me! I am shamed now.

:jack:lol2:rolleyes:rolleyes:csm
  11. steve3b3

steve3b3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stay the fuck to the right.
    That's my take on things..

Steve
  12. Reverand Roadblock

Oddometer:
    How bout we stay the fuck off the roads. Gettin dangerous in here.
  13. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    This.
  14. Reverand Roadblock

Oddometer:
    Unless of course I'm riding the right bike. Then you guys will like me. Right? Right??
  15. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:

Or quit fighting all the morons, and see the right lane(s) as being the new fast lane. :evil

Unless there's an overpriced geriatric gyno chair to deal with.

[​IMG]
  16. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    There are lots of HD riders on Advrider, just check out the Street forum.

Unfortunately, many of the HD riders out there (not all) fall into an unfortunate (for everyone) stereotype.
  17. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Honestly, this is the realists approach. With all the 5 lane w/middle left turn lane roads around this has become the reality.
  18. steve3b3

steve3b3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't care who's on the road. We all share them, but some do it better than others.
    Some of my best friends ride cruisers, and I ride with them. I had the distinct displeasure of watching one of my riding companions block another biker from passing during one of our rides, where there is absolutely no need. The other rider was on a different pace, and would have easily been gone in 30 seconds if the other douche hadn't swerved all over the road to stop him from passing. I don't know what gets into people's heads to make them do that king of shit. ITS NOT YOUR ROAD!

Steve.

p.s. It's not mine either. I share
    pps. I ride an ST1300 with my cruiser buddies. We DO get along..
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have told that "riding companion’ that if he ever pulled that shit in my presence again he would be on his as bleeding as his face would mysteriously be making an attempt of bruising my fist.

Why exactly was this a problem in your mind? Why In your opinion was he a "Dick" ?? :ear

Did he make you speed up? Did he make you slow down? Did he make you take any type of evasive maneuver? If not then it is you who is the dick for thinking the other rider a dick. :D
  20. Reverand Roadblock

Oddometer:
    I get along with everyone I meet...in person. It's only here on the intraweb where I am apparently hated and despised. I share the road, am courteous to other riders and drivers, and do my best to be safe for me and anyone around me. I just get frustrated when I am poking around this forum that I love so much and hear about what a scumbag I am....again. I don't know why but I feel like I have to constantly defend myself because I own and enjoy my HD's.

If the OP wants to know why these groups do what they do he should ask them. Talk to a "road captain". This person might have some valid reasons for riding the left lane or going slower than some would like to go. When you post on a board such as this, all the trolls will come out and harp on the fact that the group was a HD group and it will devolve into a "they are all douchbags" rant.

ahh...whatever. You folks don't want to hear this. Let's just get back to the stoopit harley morons fuck fest. For the umpteenth time. :clap