1. eNewsletter Sign Up

How do HD clubs pick their "road captains?" (rantish)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Mar 13, 2011.

1. AlKay191

AlKay191 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 19yo kid and I just did a 1000 mi weekend. I was on the FXD and he on my K100rs. He said he never heard the Beemer motor all weekend! and I got mufflers on the HD. All he heard was my turd and had to fly by instruments. He's been drooling at my bike all along, but after we switched for a bit, he was happy to get back on the Beemer. Smart kid. I should learn something here.
    The weekend ride took us thru Daytona where we stopped for few hrs to visit with friends from up-North. He got a full taste of Daytona Douchebaggery. Something every young lad should experience once.
    Did I say I hate bikers?
  2. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I hate everyone. I hate the whiney metric guys, and the Harley riders covered head to toe and Harley crap.

After this site though, it may be tipping more to the metric guys. Though you only hear them on the internet.:lol3
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I'll go up the middle of them as long as they're not flying colors...I've got enough to worry about...ain't no reason to have the Angels after me. Passed a herd of them last year on the 101...got past them in a legal passing zone and didn't cut anybody off, at 100 mph I might have spit a dirt clod or two off the XRR. :lol3
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man Smile. You're in range.

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Chromer [​IMG]
    Um...
    That giant "yield" sign near the end of the ramp.... That means YOU yield to traffic already on the highway. Sometimes that means stopping, if that is what is necessary.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    You were in a bad spot, Waco, and I think that your decision was the proper one. I'd be a sympathetic juror if things went sour on the highway and the case went to trial.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

YUP!!! NEVER stop on a bike in an unexpected place. I even had a moto-LEO tell me I should not have stopped at a cross-walk for a pedestrian as it is just too dangerous. He said he was hoping I wouldn’t stop so he could ticket the car behind me for not stopping. :lol3

Whenever I need to stop or slow in an unexpected area I am flashing my brake and weaving in my lane to get the driver behind me to SEE me. If he does not I will take the out that I had scoped. :ricky
  6. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    We don't have yield signs at the end of entrance ramps in Texas. There are timing lights and the START of some ramps in congested areas, but I would be surprised to see one in Waco. The bottom line is this, if someone wants to break a line of bikes to get on or off a highway the line is required to give way.
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure? I know (and agree) they should... But the merging traffic is the one that needs to yield the right of way, not the traffic already on the road.
  8. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    While drivers merging have to yield, there's also an ORS I quoted in another thread that basically says drivers on a highway are expected to make room.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Oregon yes, it's your job to get yourself onto the freeway. California no, the traffic on the freeway is required to allow you into the flow of traffic...stopped or moving.
  10. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Turd poker.

Oddometer:
    The impeded rider doing the "right" thing doesn't make the group of assholes any less so.
  11. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    You are right, you have to yield right of way to someone already in the lane, but I understand that a group ride would be subject to the Following Distance requirements in 545.062 which states that vehicles traveling in a caravan or motorcade have to allow sufficient space for traffic to safely enter and occupy the space between vehicles.

So while a driver must yield to someone already in a lane, a group of vehicles traveling together cannot close ranks to prevent other vehicles from merging.
  12. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:

My confusion with the screen name. Should have done my homework.

As for the metering lights, they work pretty well. No one follows them exactly, but it serves as a reminder that we can't all merge onto the freeway at once. Generally people will wait or at least slow down to check the traffic on the highway. Most of the time they are not even on.
  13. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    I don't have that many miles under my riding belt, but I've driven a lot in a cage and observed the behavior the OP discussed.
    I'm wondering if there's something at work here in the way our minds shift when we go from being an individual to being a member of a group. The whole "group think" thing. I've seen it in various groups/organizations, where individually, folks are thoughtful, considerate, reasonable, and rationale. But when they join the group, they're thoughtless, inconsiderate, unreasonable and irrational. Kierkegaard wrote a little essay on such things titled "The Crowd is Untruth."
    I wonder if that's what happens in a group ride: individually sane; collectively insane. Collectively "untruth."
    It takes a strong personality to not succumb to group-think.
    Another reason I won't ride in a group. Just plain won't.
  14. Chumley

Chumley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll start by saying that I have owned several Harleys and loved them all. I enjoy the bike for what it was meant to do and it is arguably the best at what it was designed to do (no, not meaning a platform for dipshit posers) but it cannot do everything. Many don't evaluate them for what they were intended to do and rate them against their whatever-type-of-bike and it's just not apples to apples.

So I tell people that get conflicted about my conflicting comments about my feeling about H-D rallys and riders the following. I like Harley-Davidson the motorcycle, I just find that I don't like most of the people that have been drawn to the motorcycle. Not all, but unfortunately most, H-D riders just don't get what motorcycling is about - by my standards that is (which appears to be similar to most here). The ubiquitous HOG riders have really come to annoy the shit out of me. Go to a H-D shop celebration of some sort and see all of the puff chest fat beillies acting tough and it makes you laugh. My wife noticed that the women tend to think they are tough too. This did not happen just one time but many at the San Jose H-D shop and the Hollister Rally. I finally just stopped going when any meaningful conversation about motorcycles could not be maintained. I digress...

A good friend of mine is a long time HOG Road Captain (no, I never asked him how he got to be one since he is a scary wobbler of a rider I won't even ride with anymore). I mentioned this road hog phoenomenon and he said that they ride at the pace of the slowest rider to help support them. Since there always seem to be new members (free 1 year membership with the purchase of a new H-D) they are always destined to go slow. HOG is a land of the underqualified over-biked riders. My friend, a seemingly normal person, has been turned into a brain washed, banner waiving fanatic who is so full of misconceptions that you cannot have a normal motorcycle related conversation with him, e.g. I had a Ducati GT1000 and he said that he heard that Ducatis were very unstable at high speed.:eek1 I just stared at him and nodded. What could I say that he would've understood? One time I said that all of the HOG members were just wanna be Hell's Angle's and he said I didn't know what I was talking about. I mentioned that he always talked about riding in "pack" formation, their HOG patch (3 color patch which around here normally requires HA approval), the joy of riding with the HA's in their self promoting fund raisers, and the way they all look and act tough. No comment.

At dinner with my Road Captain friend a few years back he told me a story about a mishap during a San Mateo HOG chapter ride up around Lake Tahoe. He said that they were riding up a winding mountain road and a guy on a borrowed Goldwing got antsy and tried to pass them. The Goldwing rider lost control of the bike and he was killed. He played it like the guy was an idiot.:huh He is still a friend but rarely see him anymore. They just don't get it.

There is nothing wrong with Harley-Davidson motorcycles, just the majority of idiots riding them. I think there is a subtle but distinct difference.
  15. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    You sir, said all that needs to be said, and said it wonderfully.

Barry
  16. AlKay191

AlKay191 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    perfect description :clap
  17. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I read a V-Rod board from time to time and don't remember other brand bashing at all. I wander if HD riders have such strong emotions against other riders? Never encountered it in person, but may be on Internet?
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Apparently you've never heard the ubiquitous "why don't you buy a REAL bike?"

:lol3
  19. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Turd poker.

Oddometer:
    Because HD drivers are overrepresented in the douchebag category.

How many ADV'ers (HD rider or not) have chased down another rider (with the intent of intimidation) for pure ego reasons?
  20. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I haven't. Even when I had a metric cruiser learner bike and took couple of Saturday rides with the pirates.