How do I download OSM maps????

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Doogle, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used OSM maps for years. I used them for Ushuaia, RTW, Europe, Africa, China. It was never easy to navigate to the map to select tiles needed. I used to save a link because it was so hard to find. Now I'm trying to download maps of the USA for my Zumo 550. Did Wiki change something? I can't find the map for selecting tiles. I'm no digital geek. But I've gotten by for years.

They have links to external sites that I can't seem to understand either. Are these other sites just a way for Wiki to make money? I always appreciated the free maps, and donated money. I also gave POI's from less traveled countries to an inmate, who input them to OSM. If the free maps are still available, where are they? And why are they hidden/ so hard to find?
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Thank you EmmEff. I recognize the link now. I see it's the same as it used to be. I'm embarrassed. I deleted the bookmark when I started using my phone. I won't do that again.
  4. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I have one more question. I'm trying to download maps of the USA. They say they can only download countries at this time. It will only allow individual states. Selecting USA doesn't allow putting my email info in. I have an old Zumo 550 that has 4 GB of storage. The USA would be too big anyway. If I select a state, it doesn't have the option to add more tiles. I only want about half of the states in my GPS. Any thoughts?
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like they really mean what they say when they say the page will only let you download countries.

How about putting the US OSM on SC card?
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can select United States and then manually select tiles. I've done this. Their system won't allow more than 4gb download and the entire USA is larger than that. I have used this map to select nearly all of the USA, leaving off areas I know I'll never go and got it down to just under 4gb
    Grinnin and EmmEff like this.
  7. Doogle

Oddometer:
    It won't let me download -country USA. I can download countries in Europe. It seems to treat states of USA as countries. I think USA is 8-9 Gb. But when I select it I can't input my email. It says I must select first. I've tried Firefox and Edge browsers.
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Select all the tiles you want. I know it won't let you download all of USA in one button...select the tiles you want.
  9. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are correct, but right now there is something wrong with the server. You can only select one state, but not additional tiles.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I selected USA. But it doesn't develop on the page so I can delete unneeded tiles. It doesn't even show the USA tiles as selected. I've done this dozens of times over the year. I think they are having issues at their server.
  12. Doogle

Oddometer:
    The maps may be good. But it isn't intuitive. Can't figure it out. I see Midwest, but no link to download. If I did get it and the Mountain section, how would I combine them? The attachment map links don't say what they are. I'm semi competent on a computer. But this site isn't made for a simple mind.
  13. wheel2wheel

Oddometer:
    You can download the maps. Click the link to the left of the page, a map page will come up stating what maps are part of the download. Scroll to the bottom of the page to download the zip file.

You will then need a tool to unpack the zip file. I use 7Z. Unpack the the files to C: Program Data > Garmin > Maps (you do this so Basecamp can read the map). Repeat the process for the maps you desire. You can then use Basecamp to install the maps you want onto your GPS.

This is the way I do it.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This.

But it also includes a bat file to install it for you. ;)
  15. wheel2wheel

Oddometer:
    True.
  16. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing with the browser, your selection is too big.

I found I was able to select the eastern US and download that. Then select the western US and download that. So if I want to go to the far western US, I can't get there from here.:-)
  17. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to combine these regions and delete unwanted areas? Or would I need to carry separate SD cards and replace as I travel. I've done this traveling through many countries on a trip. But I won't use these maps if I can't compile USA tiles I need under 4Gb.
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can be multiple small ones but I grabbed the entirety of the USA to install in Basecamp
    That website should have some tools on it to do that, unfortunately there's no easy way. You either pick the regions or all of the USA
  20. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I downloaded Basecamp but don't know much about it. Can I add Gmap USA regions individually, then remove areas I don't want, to get below 4Gb? Then upload to my SD card.