How do I layer a summer jacket for 3-seasons in Texas?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ADVraider, Sep 24, 2018.

1. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought the REV'IT! Cayenne Pro Jacket. Living in Texas, I can use it for a solid 8 months of the year without any layers, outside perhaps a long sleeve shirt. However, for a couple of months temps dip into the 40s.

I was hoping to find a comfortable, yet thin layer to wear under the jacket which could shield me from the cold wind at high speeds.

Any suggestions appreciated!

[​IMG]
  2. NX4goyo

NX4goyo This ain't my first rodeo

Oddometer:
    Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that the CP had internal liners.

Has Rev'It dropped those from the CP, recently?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ADVraider likes this.
  3. motoclimb

motoclimb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coming from Arkansas, forget trying to layer, just get a heated vest or liner.
  4. ADVraider

Oddometer:

They dropped the liners in this iteration to make it a strictly summer jacket. There are liners available from Rev'it but they cost almost as much as the jacket itself so looking for a slightly more reasonably priced alternative
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just get a warmnsafe waterproof heated liner. You won't need anything else, and yes, of course you can wear it without turning it on.
  6. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merino wool underwear and a windstopper layer worked for me when I lived in Corpus. I was using a mesh jacket all year long down there and would put a rain jacket over or under it. I even have a Gore windstopper Mountain Hardware jacket around here I used also. Damn more stuff to find and get rid of. A good base layer helps alot, but you will have to find what works for you either Merino wool or synthetic.
  7. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    I wear a long sleeve technical shirt as a base layer and something over that - depending on temp it could be fleece or a windbreaker.
    SelfPropelledDevo and ADVraider like this.
  8. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with one caveat - get a waterproof windproof liner - like a bicycle rain jacket. This increases flexibilty of the set up and most electric liners aren't waterproof.
    SelfPropelledDevo and ADVraider like this.
  9. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    Would wearing a windbreaker over the bike jacket make sense? Wouldn't it flop around at speed?
  10. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Three seasons in Texas? You mean hot, hot and humid, and hotter and more humid?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    nk14zp, 08StangGT_CS and Uke like this.
  11. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a rain jacket that fits snuggly over your jacket so you can also wear it under your jacket.
    ADVraider and SelfPropelledDevo like this.
  12. Wilde

Wilde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ADVraider likes this.
  13. SelfPropelledDevo

SelfPropelledDevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a cool thread BcZ I too have been screwing around with the issue and experiencing various solutions to essentially a problem that does not exist.

Simply put, just change jackets.

But no.
    I got to go round and round over things.

So yah... the best bet has, just like in the bicycle world, to use base layers and vent. Marino wool and a windbreaker way awesome.

However just for giggles...
    last winter I rode the whole time with a similar rev’it jacket, and it has the rev’it liner which is awesome. However it adds bulk. The rev’it jacket I use is nice and thin, maybe it’s an airwave or something like that, so I don’t particularly like adding bulk.

When that jacket gets wet being that it’s all mesh and full of holes, it catches water. So it’s like a waterfall. Cool!

So I’d screw around with the idea of over vs under layering.

Basically it came down to something like a Showers Pass gortex jacket over the Rev’it or using a thin windbreaker with vents under.

All the while using a Marino wool base-layer against my skin.

With using a gortex jacket over the moto jacket one of the issues is that if it’s a big jacket it flaps in the wind. That flapping will ultimately break down the garment. But what is cool, is that at least water bounces right off and when you walk into a building it’s not like you drip all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ADVraider likes this.
  14. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    windproof jersey and warm base layer
    Bad Dad likes this.
  15. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    You have given us a question with lots of variables. Texas is a huge state with huge weather differences to deal with- DFW is nothing like Houston, San Antonio, Amarillo or El Paso. When I lived in DFW, I rode at least 10 months a year with an Olympia Bushmaster jacket enhanced by a good thermal base layer & sweater for January 15 mile commutes down to the mid 20's. Didn't bother with electric gear, but if the rides were any further, that would have been the next step. Didn't have to worry much about rain either- when it rained, you usually had lots of warning beforehand and then it was torrential- you really didn't want to ride in it. You will have to deal with more rain in East Texas- humidity too. El Paso will require dealing with daily temperature extremes. South Texas is a mix. Amarillo, start with constant wind, then expect everything else on short notice.
    You need to start with a good wicking base layer, a wind-proof, quickly-removable liner and access to waterproof over-gear. Frog Toggs wouldn't be a bad thing to have with you given the minimal use they will probably see.
    Uke and ADVraider like this.
  16. Chad650

Chad650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Olympia dakar 2 jacket is a similar style to yours it came with a waterproof/windproof insert and a thermal liner. It all zips in but im sure you could accomplish the same thing with just a thin rain jacket with a fleece pullover under that. Im in Louisiana which is why i went for the same style jacket with alot of mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nk14zp and ADVraider like this.
  17. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Texas is big. More than half of it is usually very low humidity. Out west, especially in the mountains, the temps also run from hot to very cold. If the OP lives in Houston, then you're right.
    Uke and ADVraider like this.
  18. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dauhgter lives in Austin. The three season description comes from her. I know it can get cool. I also know about the infamous ice storms.

ADVraider likes this.
  19. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    You guessed it! Houston it is :)
  20. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont have that jacket. I ride with a tourmaster transition. It is waterproof windproof, as long as you remember to close the vents and has a thermal insert. I use the same base layer as I use for skiing. Skiing layers are built around keeping wind out, heat in, and sweat away. It is lightweight and allows for movement. However, it is also design to be used or physical activity therefore insulation is on the lighter side.

ADVraider likes this.