How do I mount Sena headset on an incompatible helmet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Timberlehrke, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Timberlehrke

Timberlehrke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been struggling with this since I bought my new LS2 Valiant Avant Helmet, which I love. I couldn't decide between full or half face and this helmet is the perfect solution. BUT, since the face flips all the way to the back of the helmet, there is no room to attach my Sena bluetooth. The lip of the helmet by my ear is extremely wide so the standard clamp-style mount does not fit. Also, the slide for moving the sunscreen visor up and down is exactly where the mount would go if it would fit. They make a specific bluetooth for this helmet, but it is a poor one. They also make the Sena 10R Low Profile version which uses a hook & loop mount and would be perfect, but that one only has a range of a half mile and allows you to intercom with 4 riders.
    My solution so far has been hot gluing the whole Sena clamp mount to the outside of my helmet which works for a few weeks at a time. Has anybody found a better solution? Please help!!!
  2. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Sena SMH5 came with a double sided sticky tape mount as well.. didn’t yours?
  3. Timberlehrke

Timberlehrke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I do have some double sided tape, but I'm not able to put the mount bracket where it is supposed to go, since my sun visor adjustment is right there by my left ear where the Sena should go. So I end up having to stick or glue the entire bracket up higher towards my left ear which makes the whole thing stick way out. I wish there was a different bracket that didn't require it to mount to the bottom of the helmet but instead would sit flush anywhere you stick it. I may just be stuck with a bulky setup or a less than optimal Sena.
  4. Timberlehrke

Timberlehrke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Inkedsena30_k_bluetooth_headset_750x750_LI.jpg This circled portion is the problem as I can't mount it so that this circled portion falls below and tucks under the helmet.
  5. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a modular helmet where the lip at the bottom is very wide and Sena clamp did not go over it.
    It is a cap type lip with dead space behind it where the actual shell of the helmet is.
    I simply cut a small notch out of that portion of that lip so the clamp would fit and slide up the actual helmet shell.

20200115_140017.jpg 20200115_140034.jpg

This is the "uncut" lip on the other side.
    20200115_140557.jpg
  6. Timberlehrke

Timberlehrke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Thank you! I didn't want to cut my shiny new helmet last year but at this point I think that may be worth it. I also have the visor slide right exactly where it is supposed to be mounted but I'll find a descent spot to put it. The folks at RevZilla turned me onto the Cardo Packtalk Slim (or Bold) and the Cardo Freecom 4 Plus which both mount with an adhesive instead of a clamp and don't hang off and down the side of the helmet. I hardly realized that there were quality sets out there that aren't Sena. I THINK I'm going to go with one of the Cardos.
  7. Timberlehrke

Timberlehrke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with the Cardo Packtalk Bold. It looks like it'll mount correctly. Thanks for the help!
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same thing with my last helmet. I cut a slit rather than a notch in the plastic trim around the bottom.