How do you handle commuting temperature variation?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by VeryBumpy, May 13, 2021.

1. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I'm not alone in this situation and I'm sure this applies to other country areas also.

I go to work early and it is often 40-45°F. But leaving work it can be 90°F.

On a 45 min ride one way this gets very cold on the freeway parts and very hot stuck in traffic parts.

I'm not interested in carrying any large boxes on my bike during commuting containing all your different temperature gear; small backpack for lunch, laptop and a few papers will suffice.

Besides driving a cage, there must be an easy, light weight solution to stay comfortable.

Similarly, I have yet to understand why motorcycle manufactures don't use some sort of adjustable flap or duct to allow control of air direction to block or allow engine heat to ones knees/legs/torso.
    Same for hand guards, some quick way to allow air or block the air. At least there are windshields that quickly go up or down nowadays.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    TonyKZ1, DIRTLIFE757 and NorskieRider like this.
  3. rizzo27

rizzo27 Next!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you aren't willing to carry extra layers then electric heated gear is really your only option. Lots of us have toured and see the same temp changes in a day while traveling. Layers and a good vented jacket and pants work great.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Supporter

Oddometer:
    my most comfortable solution was to have a heated liner and heated grips. That liner packs a lot smaller than insulated liners and it'll fit into a small pannier or bag strapped to your pillion seat.
    TonyKZ1 and rizzo27 like this.
  5. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    Heated grips and seat are nice to take the chill off. Depending on how handy you are and what bike you are riding you can add heat to both grips and seat pretty inexpensively. Or just get a goldwing with heated grips, seat, and movable heat louvers...
    PlowHand likes this.
  6. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah they are 'fresh air vents' on the Goldwing. Half-assed idea and everyone says they are totally useless.
  7. rizzo27

Oddometer:
    Not on the old goldwings.
  8. Moonshiner

Moonshiner aka "B-dog"

Oddometer:
    When I used to commute on a regular basis, I used to just toss on an extra base layer under the jacket in the morning, then not put on the extra layer on the way home and open the vents on my riding jacket. Disclaimer: my longest commute was only 15 miles one way, so you can even suffer a little at that distance. Never had heated riding gear because I never ride very far when it's cold. That said, the coldest morning I ever had a commute was 27 degrees. It was sunny, and no breeze, but it was cold. No heated handgrips or gloves either. Ever time I hit a stoplight, I reached down and put my gloved hands right on the heads of my airhead BMW. Really glad to get to work that day. I think it was in the 50's on the way home.
    For the record, I think electrics are definitely the way to go.
  9. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had an '83 Yamaha Venture that used engine heat and louvers to warm your legs during cold weather. Windshield on that kept you out of the wind entirely if desired.

Best bad weather bike I've owned, but terrible on a trail through the woods...

On a Wee now and commute (less than 20 minutes) using layered all season jacket and pants. Hassle to put insulated layers in/out, but I've been good down into the teens and open vents not bad moving up to 85. Hotter than that and my stuff isn't vented well enough to keep cool unless I'm riding pretty fast. I do have heated grips and have used the mitts on my bars in winter. Don't even use winter gloves and fingers are fine with the bar mitts.
  10. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't ride below 50°F without HippoHands. Best $100 to keep wind off your hands to keep top of hands warm and very easy to remove for ride home if you want to strap to back of bike.

Also recommended electric gear, less bulky than layering up.
  11. 93mph

93mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aerostich R-3