How do you include photo links with the new ADV software?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by wbbnm, Aug 30, 2015.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't figure out how to include photo links with the new ADV software.

When I select reply to thread or create new thread I get a box that I can type into and below it are some buttons.

One says Upload Pic or GPS Track. When I try this, I get a Windows File Open dialog box that looks like it would let me insert a jpeg file but I don't see any way of inserting a link to a picture.

I have been having a conversation about this with another inmate in another forum. It sounds like he is still able to use the old dialog box that had icons along the top. And one of those icons was for inserting picture links.

I looked in the Preferences area of my profile and I don't see any way of selecting the old style dialog box.

Seeing all the Trip Report threads with pictures, I suspect it is still possible to insert picture links.

So How do you do it?

Thanks.
  2. Chuckanut

Chuckanut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This seems to be in a state of flux, yesterday I couldn't upload photos, only attachments, and today photos are working. Tomorrow, who knows??

At the bottom of the message window (where you type these words) is a button 'Upload Pic or GPS Track' , click that and navigate to the photo on your computer, and then click OK to upload it. It defaults to a small attachment but you can choose 'Full image' and it will now be in your message.

The Image button on the top for inserting a link to picture still doesn't work for me, I just get an empty box.

Hope this helps
    Tom
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that the Upload Pic... button doesn't work the way it did a few days ago.

But what I think I want to do is to insert images from my SmugMug account using links, not upload files from my computer.

Actually I don't care which I do, but it used to be that uploading image files here was strongly discouraged because they took up room on the ADV servers.

But maybe the ADV people don't care anymore about storage issues.

And it used to be that you couldn't upload the same file twice like maybe you would want to do in different threads.
  4. Hoppsseeker

Hoppsseeker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had issues trying to upload photos as well. Is there a way to upload from my Macbook or do I need to go through Flicker or another site? I tried to upload pics from the Macbook to my ride report and sometimes they looked fine when I was logged in but if I look at them when I'm not logged in they are smaller pics just a little larger then thumbnail photos. Sorry I am a little technically challenged and new to posting to ADVRider.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are two ways to add photos to a post. You can upload a photo (In some forums, but not all) using the link at the bottom of the new post dialog box like you've experienced. Or, and this is the answer to your question, you can link to a photo hosted on another site. In order to do that, see the buttons above the text box? There's one that looks like a mountain scene. It's between the smiley face and the film strip. Click on that and it will prompt you to enter the URL for your photo, just like in the olden days.

Jamie
  6. Sideshow Steve

Sideshow Steve Selfless Consumer

Oddometer:
    On my iPhone I sometimes have to hit the Options button to get the mountain scene, but the link won't paste. I have to paste the link into notes, change the "http://" to "www."
    and re-copy. Only then will it the text box accept it.

I can't even copy text into here!
    ??
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Others have given me similar advice - about the text box and the mountain scene. I remember this dialog box well and used it many times in the old software.

But I don't get that dialog box with the new software. All I get is this yellow text box at the bottom of the screen. I tried hitting the Options button, but it doesn't do anything useful. It just has stuff about subscribing to the thread.

I feel like I am being treated as a second class citizen by the people who run this thing. I guess I just pissed too many people off with some of my whiny posts.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aye there's the rub. I never get that dialog box. When I clicked Reply to your post, the system just quoted your message and sent me to the text entry box at the bottom of the page.

I tried hitting Options and that doesn't do it either. I am really starting to think I am being picked on here.
  9. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    What phone and OS do you have?
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I access ADV from a desktop PC running Windows 8.1.

I have gone into my Profile and played around with editing preferences, but this has no effect on this (or any other) issue.

Success - sort of.

I normally view ADV with Internet Explorer. I tried it with Google Chrome and got the correct dialog box when I tried to start a new thread.

So the problem must be with how my Explorer is set up or with Explorer itself.

So I tried it on my notebook running Windows 7 and I got the correct dialog box there too. So maybe I can compare Explorer settings between the two.
  11. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    You have Java script turned off under security.
  12. gtracy

gtracy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] test 8
  17. thumper-darryl

thumper-darryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After giving up on Smugmug and Photobucket, there must be someway to upload photos from a macbook onto posts. Help.
  18. graknil

graknil n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't know what to do I would really like to participate but I can't make my photos display properly so I deleted my post. I have used both the mountain icon and the upload pic or GPS track. I select thumbnail and my preview looks like this.

preview.jpg

But every time I post it look like this. So I have deleted my post. Please advise.

whyfullsize.jpg
  19. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer: