How do you make a street legal dirt bike in Colorado..

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by chtucker, Nov 25, 2008.

1. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I believe “full size plated” refers to cars / trucks/ jeeps.
  2. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Per the USFS... Nothing wider than 50 inches on an atv trail, nothing with more than 2 wheels allowed on a single track trail.

Wonder how we could manipulate the rules to eliminate the Razor crowd?
  3. Arrivo

Arrivo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you @AviatorTroy and @cidi ! That makes sense now. PHEW!! Was thinking I needed to buy a 3rd motorcycle!
  4. jimco

jimco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course you need to buy a 3rd motorcycle and a 4th and a 5th etc.....

Jim
    CPAT likes this.
  5. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perfect number of motorcycles in ones garage? Current# + 1 :-)
    Arrivo likes this.
  6. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    Mesa County; did my 525 XC some years ago. It wasn't complicated.

proof of ownership
    proof of insurance

Head light
    Tail / Brake light
    Horn
    Mirror
    DOT rated tires

Already had an OHV sticker - Highway Patrol inspected and it took no more than 5 - 10 minutes.
  7. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, i have done 3 bikes in the last 2 years. There has been a change that i dont see mentioned.

1. You now have to obtain an OHV title before you can title a non titled bike. You can get your OHV sticker and use that for your OHV title at DMV. It takes a couple of weeks to recieve that title so plan ahead.

2. You can download the exact paperwork you inspector will use from the internet. It is easy enough to find. There is a very reasonable woman doing the inspections in golden and she actually ised the paperwork i brought as she didnt have one printed.

3. Last year in colorrado they maxed out back registration fees to 6 months. This was a result of the masssive tax increases that happen 3 years ago. There is a fine but its not horrible. (I have 8 vehicles so i do lots of time at the county clerk)

4. Kenda trackmasters II are very cheap and a good DOT off road choice. I usually buy a pair and just use them up. They don't last long on the pavement though.

5. The OHV sticker vs plate battle for off road use continues. It is a ongoing battle on this money grab by the state. Per the new law anyone riding in the USFS and state parks requires an OHV sticker. They are literally asking jeeps to put one on their vehicles now. They do patrol (especially at Rampart which always required one) occaisionally but last i heard were still giving warning to plated vehicles. IF Riding in summit county, rampart and taylor park YOU SHOULD HAVE AN OHV STICKER AS WELL.

More info on the OHV sticker battle and the states misuse of the funds can be found on the COHVCO site. Id you ride off road, or 4wheel you should join and pay them some money. They are the only ones helping protect colorado off road use.
  8. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been spot checked at Rampart in several very low use trailheads but I’m on a plated WR250f and still have the sticker. Conversations have led me to believe that if you are on forest service roads and not on an OHV trails you are 100% legit. If I were in my Jeep and got a ticket I would expect it to be easily defeated in court. Show me a “road” that is legal to drive a full size vehicle on that is not listed as a state or NF route.
  9. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have seen those same "spot checks" outside of Silverton, in summit county and in Taylor park. All on 2 tracks. I work a charity ride with 200 riders for a week every year. Forest permit requires plates and OHV stickers. Its coming to vehicles, i promise. This state is following the California path at rapid speed. Like i said. Go to the COHVCO page and look at their legal dealings. The forest service would just as well not have any motorized vehicles if given a choice.
  10. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s true, no doubt, and this last election didn’t help things at all. We are pretty screwed, waiting for the day the state decides my dirt bike is too old and I can’t ride it anymore, just because they said so.
    Blakebird likes this.
  11. teamextreme

teamextreme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just plated my g/f's klx140 and did not have this requirement. Did it in Golden as well.
    Not mentioned in the required equipment list above is the side reflector and the headlight needs to be 2 element (hi/low beam).

In years past there has been total ambiguity on the OHV tags vs plated, but last year they finally defined it, and no you don't need them if you are simply riding in any USFS or state park, only if you are riding on designated OHV trails, which are defined as any single track or ATV trail and any FS road (4wd road) listed here
    http://www.staythetrail.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=266593&module_id=293597
    So that means if you're on a standard 4wd road that is not in the list above, you can have just a plate. Having said that, there's no reason not to get both, as you'll eventually need the OHV tag if you go on any single track/ATV trail, and it goes to a good cause. My 450EXC is plated and OHV tagged.
    This is the way it should have been years ago since nobody knew the rules and every ranger, etc you talked to had a different answer.
  12. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on a cheap horn I can slap on my KTM 250 XC-W to pass the DMV test for plates?

For the mirror, the enduro version of this Double Take seemed like a good option: https://www.doubletakemirror.com/
    Anyone have experience with that in particular?
  13. radrak

radrak not so n00b

Oddometer:
    Yew, the double take mirror works well on my WR 450 F, and the horn needs to be electric.
    You should be albe to find one at any motorcycle shop that sells plated dirt bikes.
  14. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine does not have a high/low beam or any reflectors and no one I ride with does either. Passed no problemo. Those requirements are not listed on any document I’ve ever seen..

CPAT likes this.
  15. teamextreme

teamextreme Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey Two wheel slave

Oddometer:
    I found a cheap 4$ horn on amazon and wired it to an old kill switch and straight to the battery. It wasn’t even bolted down in the air box and it came out immediately after inspection. Found some cheap used dot tires and a rear brake light switch. I didn’t need an ohv title. Inspected in Golden. I also had a cheap clip on bar end mirror. I’ve since added a six days folding mirror but it was a fairly painless process. I bought my 450 xcrw without any paperwork. I didn’t even have a mso. Just the old owners ohv registration and I got that. Added all the goods to plate it after and made sure I had insurance and was good to go.
  17. loeky

loeky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Purchased a bike with only Bill of Sale. Going through process of titling and plating currently.

For record here - there is a specific itemized list of steps for acquiring a title in Colorado [when no MSO or title exists] as of now:
    https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2922.pdf

I look at time spent doing it as part of the hobby.
  18. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I miss the days when one could just "say" it was all done.
  19. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I now have a license plate ... and here is what I have learned:

- Make sure the seller signs over the title to you if it’s used. I know, seems obvious, but it was my first hurdle.

- When you go in to register, the DMV will collect a county tax. If you are buying from a dealer (new or used), make sure they don’t collect that tax from you unless they are then handing you a check to the county for that amount.

- If you can make an appointment at the DMV, do it. It’ll save a lot of time.

- The CSP might check your bike closely, or they might not. In my case, the officer just looked at the tires and checked the VIN. Easiest part of the whole process. Idk.

- When you finally (FINALLY) get a plate, make sure they give you a new roadworthy title to replace your OHV title.
  20. Rockieman

Rockieman Rockieman

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding you have to have CSP inspect your bike. The form you need to have filled out and signed can be found on the State Patrol website by clicking on the "I want to...." link. Click on Vin Inspection, at the next page there is a link for additional forms. This will take you to the DOR site, click on vehicle forms and documents by name, from here click on "certificate of equipment compliance" .... This form includes the vin verification and everything your bike needs to get plated. And I am told they will get on their knees to confirm your tires are DOT approved.