How do you make a street legal dirt bike in Colorado..

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by chtucker, Nov 25, 2008.

1. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Plate em while you can. Rumor has it that Colorado's adoption of California's emission laws may make it impossible to plate anything that isn't 50 state Street legal from the manufacturer. Previously plated bikes will likely be grandfathered in.
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    As a point of reference, I just spent 6 days riding around Costa Rica on a Husky 250 2S. It had a horn and a light. No mirrors. No tail light. Registered, but no plates. Riding in San Jose city traffic is total hooliganism, but we just followed the lead of our guides. I watched one motorcycle pass a police truck on a double yellow twisty mountain road. In less than 5 minutes of city traffic on that bike, I did enough things to lose my license 4X in Colorado, and not once did anyone get upset, try to run me down, or pull a gun. Do no harm and obey the laws of physics (which includes our guide doing long wheelies down little village main streets) Pura Vida baby!
    Colorad0 likes this.
  3. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always put a 1 inch square piece of yellow tape next to the DOT label on each tire.
    They seem to appreciate the gesture.

:ricky
  4. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is what I did, but then again I sold the bike long ago. That post 9 years old...
  5. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of timeline are we talking?
  6. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    "The low vehicle emission standards are set to take effect for light-duty and medium-duty models in 2022."

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...-over-recently-adopted-low-emission-standards

It's unclear at this point if or to what extent this will impact motorcycles, but CA does include them under their Orwellian umbrella, so it's likely that our new Governor from CA will do the same.

mylsmkj likes this.
  7. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    I'm curious how this has become a 5 page thread...for a simple process.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  8. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Any idea about making an electric bicycle street legal? Wanna talk about grey areas, the Sur Ron is an electric bicycle that can do 50 MPH but is sold with a governor to keep speeds below 20 MPH to meet legal requirements for operating as a bicycle in public. But when I'm going 50 MPH down the street and it looks like a dirt bike, I can expect to catch the attention of my local PD - that's where the plate would come in handy.

I'd need a title to get a real plate, right? I've read folks in other states getting a moped (sub-50 cc) plate...but for that I'd need to get insurance, on an electric bicycle...!?

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    "This has the X-controller with Regen breaking and quieter operation. "

:rofl
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If what I'm seeing in the news comes to pass CA might loose the EPA exemption that allows them to set stricter standards.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  11. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    We can only hope.

On the other hand, it could lead to California regulations federally if/when the pendulum swings back the other way.