How do you sell an adventure bike? KLR 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dclassb, Aug 16, 2019.

1. dclassb

dclassb amateurs forever

Oddometer:
    Adventure bikes tend to have storied pasts and cosmetic character, does this make them harder to sell?

Please critique my ad or give your 2 cents on selling a bike. I feel like $2800 is an attractive asking price for my bike. I promise this isn't a classified... that's not allowed right?

goodbye.jpg

Attached Files:

2. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    needs more cowbell..
  3. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That right there is how you sell one. I’m glad you’re not closer.
    OU812, dclassb and plugeye like this.
  4. dclassb

dclassb amateurs forever

Oddometer:
    IMG_5720 (1).JPG

WTB?
    Bitingdog, enduro16 and AceE like this.
  5. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your ad's been up 18 days or so and you're questioning why it's taking so long?

It's the market! I've had three bikes and a boat for sale for MONTHS. No one seems to have any money. Everyone needs to sell their bike first, etc...

10 - 15 years ago, I'd have 2-3 people call the same day my ad went live, and sell it in a week or less. Not no mo'! :(
    Bitingdog, Bar None, OU812 and 3 others like this.
  6. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    I recently sold two old Hondas on CL, definitely not as many interested parties as years past but both sold in a couple of weeks for my asking price which was fair. dunno anything about KLRs but would think they would be more popular than most right now, the earlier ones probably moreso.
    ag_streak likes this.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Definitely the market. Its so flooded right now. Its buyer's choice.
  8. dclassb

dclassb amateurs forever

Oddometer:
    Timing is important, I guess I'm in the tail end of irresponsible spending season.
    The sell before buying rule is stinging a bit at the moment
    ag_streak likes this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drop the price until it sells.

Its only worth what you can get for it and if that’s not enough that’s too bad.

Face the truth.
    F6469AC6-F511-46CA-9DC6-B5DA658F0051.gif
    thechief86, PlowHand, Mow-ree and 2 others like this.
  10. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I have no clue what the used bike market is like in So. Cal. But here in Colorado, craigslist seems to be full of mouth breathers who can't write a complete sentence; let alone a grammatically correct one. Your ad would have too many words for the avg craigslister's reading comprehension and/or attention span.

I used to create ads just like yours with lots of detail and was able to sell bikes in a matter of days either when I lived in New Orleans or San Jose and get full asking price! On Denver craigslist you might get a best offer for some weed and shitty tattoo in trade; it's completely f'ed here. I also think on a National scale there are far fewer people buying motorcycles than there was 15-20 years ago, but your bike is a cheap bike in what is supposedly the strongest fastest growing segment of motorcycle riding (ADV Riding) and would be ideal for anyone wanting to get into the hobby/sport/lifestyle :puke1 (hate that last one) for a minimal cost of entry. So it should be a relatively fast sale; and while 3 weeks might seem like a long time on the market, maybe other bikes like cruisers are taking 3 months to sell.
    dclassb likes this.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Walking off with milk crates at 3am from the 7-11 is a lifestyle now?
  12. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You stole my joke! Just like it was a milk crate in the night...
    thechief86, Navin and Yellow Dog like this.
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are doing it right.

The pictures you posted in here are beautiful, but I think it's a mistake to put those on a bike ad. The bike ad shouldn't call attention to its travel history, and being "your" bike - instead just saying what it is and its potential for the buyer to make it their own. Which is just what I see in your ad and the photos in the ad.

So, I think you're doing it right. After that it just comes down to patience and/or price. It is getting late in the summer...
    dclassb and Yellow Dog like this.
  14. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the market for a late-model KTM 300 at a decent price lately and that was HARD to find!
  15. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I’ve noticed that Facebook marketplace seems to be a more popular spot for buying/selling nowadays (compared to Craigslist)
    ag_streak likes this.
  16. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    FWIW I almost always include this in my for sale ads:

"runs great with no smoke or leaks. no broken parts or stripped threads. everything works, ready to ride anywhere."

except for a bike that has one or more of those issues of course. I wouldnt call cosmetic issues 'Damages' as you have. and Im sure everybody knows cosmetics do not affect performance so I would leave that part out and just let the photos speak for themselves there. I never mention why Im selling either.

I doubt many potential buyers are gonna know eagle mike or doohicky or other ADV KLR lingo and TBH that stuff could also be a turn off. even the Honda coolant since its not a Honda.

and the one thing that all my ads have in common is this: "Sold as is for cash only" ("Sold As is" being most important IMO) Im not a dealer or anything but usually buy and sell a few used bikes each year.

also been known to put in the ad "bring a helmet and cash for test rides" with sometimes "you break it, you bought it" added to it depending on the bike.

interested in others critiques on what Ive written about it and other helpful seller insights. whats a perfect ad? as a buyer, I pretty much skip ads with little to no details (which seems all too common) but theres alot of useless info in many sometimes that make it seem like someone is trying to hard to sell or might be someone not worth dealing with if there is alot of attitude in the writing. (know what I mean Vern?)

think of your ad as a contract and write it accordingly because in some way, it really is.
    dclassb likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I post for sale on the local FB marketplace, on FB for my friends direct, on Craigslist list and on ADV.

It hit it all and slowly lower the price till I get a bite.
  18. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Timing is everything. I have bought and sold on CL and previously the Recycler for years. Sometimes nothing for weeks then you have 3 buyers.

My suggestions:
    * 4 corners plus sides (6 shots total max)
    * Don't mention damage - it's on a spectrum of wear and tear but it doesn't look like damage to me. They will see. You seem forthcoming. Buyers will sense honesty and the good ones will appreciate it.
    * You have a lot of nice farkles. Buyers will not pay for those. Take 'em off and sell separately
    * Doesn't matter what it would cost to reg - client title current reg is all a buyer needs to know
    * I'm far more interested in "valves recently adjusted and doohickey replaced" - this says - I can ride for a long time. The rest of it is just blizz blazz bs. Some will like it but to me it says "this is how I customized it for myself". Buyers want to envision themselves on the bike.
    * Take only pics of what it comes with.
    Bitingdog and dclassb like this.
  19. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I disagree with the more knowledgeable and experienced responders above. I had a 2000 KLR and would consider getting a newer model, and that looks like a great bike at an extremely attractive price. I found the ad to be extremely informative with no apparent red flags and think that anyone who knows anything about KLRs would recognize the value of the brand names mentioned and would probably jump at it if they have the money to spend. Those unfamiliar with KLRs might pester you to death with questions but if their money is good...

I'm trying to sell several bicycles right now and, as others have observed, stuff ain't selling right now unless it's at giveaway prices.
    dclassb likes this.
  20. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    same here (AK) good bikes at reasonable prices and some at really good prices & have been up for weeks.