How Duarable Is The Versys Powerplant?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Murphy Slaw, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thread about the Wee engine (I guess engines.....) got me to wondering about the KLE650.

I don't see many threads about the 650 Ninja/ER6/KLE and was wondering how many REAL high mileage ones are out there, and if there are any common problems? These are not Japanese, eh?

I've always been a sucker for a parallel twin.
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa Palanquins RTW

Oddometer:
    :ear

I just picked up a Versys.

From the research I did, stick coils and reg/recs were a common problem, and finish, but not much else..
  3. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    I think most modern bikes will take on a lot of miles. I think the limiting factor is the lack of people who put that many miles on bikes or poor maintenance / abuse... not the motor.

Small problems in the subsystems can be worked out and worked through.
  5. BobM55

BobM55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Kawasaki Versys Forum.
  6. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I think sticking to factory recommended oil change intervals can be poor maintenance/abuse. If you look at motorcycle used oil analyses posted on bobistheoilguy, you can find ones where the oil is toast at 1500 miles. I think it would be a stretch to leave most oils in a bike for 6k or 7.5k miles if that oil were also lubricating a constant mesh transmission. Or if the bike were air-cooled. Unless you performed used oil analysis to verify the oil was holding up.

A lot of people don't put many miles on their bikes and it may not matter to them.
  7. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DL650 has the best motor I have ever had.
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Someone posted a 100k+ mile Versys picture here.. no issues I believe.
    I've got over 20k miles on my 650R, no issues.
  9. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm only at 25k miles on my Versys, so I can't quite help with the "lots of miles" question.
    No issues, though.
  10. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    same here

only needed new tires, air filter, plugs, and a chain
  11. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Earlier about valves hitting the pistons on some Versys.
  12. rlbowers03

rlbowers03 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a few hundred miles shy of 50K on my 2008 Versys and I have NEVER had a problem with it. Tires, chain, brake pads, and oil. Of the 11 bikes I've owned this is by far the MOST fun. I giggle every time I ride it. After having had a beast (Suzi' GS1150ES) and two rockets (Suzi' Hayabusas :evil) I have learned that it is a lot more fun to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast one. For the money...this thing ROCKS!
  13. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now we're cookin'....

I was originally thinking about a KLR to re-enter bikes after being gone a few years, but my research is now leaning more towards a Versys/Wee. The Versys is winning because I have a good local Kaw dealer, and it's engine is more compact, lighter, cheaper, you know !
  14. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Versys and Wee are both really good bikes, but each has their own "feel". Some like the Versys better, and others the Wee (I have a Wee), but you really need to sit and ride each one to make the best decision. I personally would not base my purchase on the type of engine alone.
  15. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I will. I've owned bikes most of my adult life, and rode the Arizona desert back before it was fenced off, as a kid.

Local dealer options (dealership ownership/attitude) will have a LOT to do with purchase as well.
  16. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Over 50,000 on mine. [08 Versys] It's been very reliable.
  17. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have two friends in N GA with Versys, one has 35K the other 69K. The only things replaced were just the normal wear items tires, brakes, sprocets, etc. Great bikes.
  18. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Only 5,000 miles on my 11 Versys. I have had it since September. No problems. I change the oil and filter every 2,000 miles. Do as you wish, I think its going to be around a long time. One on the Kawasaki forum claims 58,000 miles. No problems.

Water cooled and fuel injected. You can't over heat it or flood it. Just ride it.... Like you stole it!

Its a frikkin blast just going to work. :clap
    David

I have heard a few guys say it would be a great engine in the KLR. I never rode a KLR. Thumper aint it?
  19. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My little mule Pepe...

I have a full time job, wife, kids and I'm in grad school. I hate commuting. I rode Pepe 20 days in 2011, and put on 14,000 miles in that time. When I get on Pepe I don't get off for a little while. Typical duty cycle on my bike is 4-6 hours constant motion at 55-80 mph, 15 minute stop, repeat. Rode Minneapolis, MN to Elko, Nv in 23 hours (1500 miles). Other than doing quarter mile time trials I cant think of a better way to abuse the engine in my toy.

I do run full synthetic oil (Rotella 5w-40 $19 a gallon @ wally world), but only change it in my garage, so not every 3000 miles. If I take a 7,000 mile trip... well the engine just has to deal. Doesn't use a drop so I often forget to even check (bad habit I know).

I've had one problem that made me take it to the dealer: wire rubbed and insulation wore away creating a short. Other than that 40,000 trouble free miles.
  20. Kankujoe

Kankujoe Adventure Traveller

Oddometer:
    Missouri, west central, south of Kansas City
    I bought my 2011 Versys in July... I have a little over 8.5K miles on it. Been trouble free so far. I replaced the tires at 8.1K miles but I could have gotten another 1.5 - 2.0K miles more on them.

I love the bike... it is a blast to ride, plenty of power for me... Mine is farkled out for distance touring. I have Happy Trails boxes & racks, touring windshield, handguards, engine guards, tank & tail bags, etc... My longest ride in one day so far has been alittle over 400 miles, I've done a few 1000+ mile weekends. A couple of weekends in the Ozarks through the twisties. Runs great on regular unleaded, gets just shy of 50 mpg fully loaded for camping at highway speeds. I'm sure I could do alittle better if unloaded & sub 65 mph... Very agile fully loaded... Like the name says... VERsatile-SYStem...

I'd buy another in a heartbeat & my wife will be getting one in the Spring.