how easy to steal bmw luggage?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by slawthecyclist, Jul 30, 2020.

1. slawthecyclist

slawthecyclist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    afternoon all, just came across a FB post regarding the theft of luggage (with bmw locks) with a master key, anyone come across this before?
    so concerned at the idea of the worlds most exspensive tin boxes being stolen, i thought i'd ad another layer of security, padlocks still to be purchased, (or nut and bolt)

Attached Files:

2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have the varios for which I'm pretty sure there is no master key as they are keyed to the igniton.
    I have been told that the number of unique keys for the tin-boxes is very limited(five or less) so a thief could potentially make a master, or carry one each of the handful of key codes and wander off with your boxes...
  3. nonchuck

nonchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So theres a master key to the ignition too? I've rekeyed mine to match.
  4. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    A big screwdriver and a vise grip will turn the locks open.
    JRWooden likes this.
  5. slawthecyclist

slawthecyclist Adventurer

Oddometer:

i was under the impression that the barrels for varios and aluminium were the same? plus keys being matched to ignition barrels surely means that their cannot only be 5 masters
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think a thief is more interested in the inside, than the boxes themselves. they are bulky and not easy to run off with.
  7. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong here... and got the BMW branded tin-boxes mixed up with another brand.

I do recall going to a BMW MOA rally a few years back where one of the gags was to switch people's gear into other BMWs guys panniers,
    because they were a diff. key blank (not like the ignition) and while there were many possible key-cuts only a very few were in use.
    So not master-keys per say, just that only a few "key cuts" were in use....
  8. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Jim, That happened when people did their own lock cylinder pin swapping to avoid buying new and expensive BMW cylinders matched to key number, after buying used cases. Pins would be filed down, or the wrong length pins used anyway until the bike key would work. As a result, far more keys would work in the jury-rigged lock. I doubt it was ever an issue of a "master key."

Yes, I'm guilty.
  9. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I agree ... not aware of any "master key" ... I should have avoided that word :photog
  10. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    I also have the vario boxes and I don’t think the lock actually engages the case (lid and box) it only secures the handle in the closed position, blocking access to the yellow release lever to open the lid (and red release to dismount the box). There appears to be a small yellow plastic plate that slides into a slot on the closed handle that prevents it from opening when locked. So, again, a large screwdriver and leverage to pop the handle loose would allow the case to be opened without a key.
  11. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Yes ... I've had mine apart and at least the Varios I have do work like that ...
    The lock just locks the handle in place in the down position.