How effective is the canister at controlling pollution?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by New Adventurer, May 18, 2007.

1. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    I am all for it!! I also agree that the canister most certainly does its job.
    My point is the guys that take it off will justify it by whatever means possible. Others will also just not give a damn, go ahead and do it...
    I am surprised that the canister is not required in Europe, but not sure why that is.. Maybe because we only have unleaded fuel here ?? At any rate I am not making any moves to change my exhaust or anything else on the bike at the expense of the environment.
  2. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Airguitar,

You keep chiming in like this is some great ethical debate. You sound like typical fanatical tree-hugger trying to make a virtual non-issue into something that is going to ruin the world. Give it a rest.

And I removed mine without any consideration or justification. It was in my way, I didn't need it, so it gets removed. Simple.
  3. Pir8te

Pir8te over forty victim of fate

Oddometer:

If the science is so clear Then why is it a US only part, should be part of Kyoto treaty, no?

Hard to believe that any technology from the 70's would still be state of the art,
    but easy to but that it is a codified requirement.
  4. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    I defer to your superior judgement sir...
  5. Pir8te

Oddometer:
    as a concernded gentelman, I would be glad to ship you one since your bike did not come with one
  6. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    You prefer a more complicated system? :huh

First, evap control systems are in cars/trucks everywhere. The fact that you can visually see the canister on your bike is the only reason this is even brought up in these forums.

Your question is one of policy, not functionality. Functionaly, there isn't a question as to whether evap control systems work (except by the clueless). Policy has to consider other dimensions, like *what* policy needs to be worked on to affect the most impact. Given that the States is the single largest consumer of fossil fuels, it makes sense to spearhead controls here, versus other places first, and adopt policy controls elsewhere as time and efforts permit. With each region, it takes a good amount of time to understand the situation first. For the record, by 2012, all of EU will have evap control systems mandated on their 2-wheel vehicles. China is on their way to adopting this as well. However, as you might imagine, these countries have other pollution control issues that had outweighed this need, plus the challenges of figuring in how to make a policy that would adhere. In the states, the magnitude of vehicular emissions accounts for roughly 30% of emissions, so it is given more emphasis. Speaking of adherable policies...we all remember how effective prohibition was. They need to outline realistic steps towards enforcement goals. That all takes time.

But that's all, again, irrelevant to the original intent of the thread, and in my opinion, bait for dragging this into "moral debate." There is no moral issue about whether evap control systems work. The design premise either works or not, mechanically. They do.

By the way, the question of how much more or less impact a bike has compared to a car in terms of their evaporative emissions is quite simple. It's not based on whether the engine is more or less efficient. It's based on the size of the gas tank, and the orifices. For the record, the generally accepted relation is about 40%. In other words, the typical bike puts out just under half the amount of hydrocarbons as a car would under the same conditions.
  7. New Adventurer

New Adventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who knows whether new _cars_ outside the US come with these cannisters?
  8. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    EU Directive 70/220/EEC places restrictions on spark-ignition vehicles under 3 tons (except motorcycle/mopeds) requiring vehicles meet the following tests:

Type I : verification of the average tailpipe emissions after a cold start. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Type II : carbon monoxide emission at idling speed. <o:p></o:p>
    Type III : verifying emissions of crankcase gases. <o:p></o:p>
    Type IV : determination of evaporative emissions from vehicles with positive-ignition engines, including an urban and extra-urban driving cycle test, hoat soak test and diurnal test. <o:p></o:p>
    Type V : ageing test to verify the durability of anti-pollution devices. <o:p></o:p>
    Type VI : verifying the average low ambient temperature carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon tailpipe emissions after a cold start. <o:p></o:p>

Specifically, Type IV tests for evaporative emissions under test load to be less than 2 grams per test...just like the states. Again...it was something adopted around the time when Prince was a hit, so it's not exactly news.
  9. 2wheelsrule

2wheelsrule youth survivor

Oddometer:
    Not true. It's in the way of the three-way adjustable Ohlins rear shock. :evil
  10. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

it is an ethical debate. And he doesn't sound like a tree hugeer, he sounds like someone with common sense, which is more than can be said for some people.

"without any consideration or justification" speaks volumes.
  11. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

well, maybe the US is ahead of the world on this one? As I said, air pollution is pretty bad outside of the US.

It's not a matter of being "state of the art," it is simple and it works. All cars have them. Cars also have 60's era closed crankcases. And catalytic converters have been around for decades, as has unleaded fuel.
  12. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    You forgot black and ugly too!:D
  13. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    4-cycle fossil fuel combustion...how archaic! :D
  14. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, so you're another one. You guys are all over the place.
  15. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

Denver, as I recall, had the dirtiest air in the US for quite a number of years. Now I wonder why it is cleaner? hmmmm...what could it be?
  16. 2wheelsrule

2wheelsrule youth survivor

Oddometer:
    Evap cans on motorcycles! :lol3
  17. Pir8te

Oddometer:
    BMW motorcycles
    :D :D
  18. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I love it. No more Earth Day, from now on it's Mudball Day. Well, I'm gonna hop on my GS and go ride the Mudball.
  19. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be....AdvMRider.
  20. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    Seems like when you can't put up a logical argument for a topic you resort to name-calling like "Tree-hugger". I remember some kids in the junior school playground like that...
    Plus,, I am not an environmentalist nut either, I just have my eyes open to a very ugly reality.

The fact is that the air is being polluted and poisoned by the chemicals we use, and there ARE ways to still use the fuels available, but still protect the environment so that our kids can someday also know what its like to ride a bike thru a forest, see the glaciers on the alps, etc. etc. If you are so selfish as not to care if that doesnt exist for the next generation to enjoy then that definitely IS a MORAL, ETHICAL issue.