How effective is the canister at controlling pollution?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by New Adventurer, May 18, 2007.

1. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Airgu,

Spin down a bit, pal. The fact is there are plenty of other more real issues that actually do impact the environment.

In Germany for example, try and find a single dirt roard where you can LEGALLY drive in a forest. There isn't one. You can walk, or ride a bicycle, but that's about it.

Germany is an outstanding country. I just returned from living there for four years. It has some of the finest motorcycling roads in the world. But the overuse of thier forested areas has made them virtually unusable. There is no such thing as old groth anymore. Almost all the forested land there is like a plantation of evenly spaced trees with little natural undergrowth. There are a few rare exceptions to this, but very few.

I didn't say that we shouldn't protect the environment in a common sense and balanced manner. All I said was that I don't think my canister makes much of a difference.

Certainly not enough for "canister removal" to rise the level of a moral, ethical issue.

So, you live in Germany. It's forests and nearby mountains need protection as you've stated. Do you have a canister on your bike? If not, I have a spare, if you'd like to do more than talk.
  2. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Matt. I'll take your spare if you're interested. I know one day mine will crap out. Whaddya interested in?
  3. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, this canister must go to a worthy cause. You are already doing your part to save the world by keeping your canister in place.

This canister must go to someone more concerned with imposing his will on others, instead of taking action himself.

That, or maybe I can use it as pollution credit against more polluting things I might do - like ride my old 2-cycle KTM around in the forest, or maybe take off my GS's catalytic convertor.
  4. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking this conversation out of the name-calling arena and making some solid arguments.

I did actually ask in an earlier post why the canister is not a legal requirement in the E.U. , speculating that the possible poison your local state law is trying to contain is the lead in the fuel. Here we have unleaded fuel, which is the only difference I am aware of. That said, I saw another post stating that by 2012 we will have to do so here anyway.
    If this is true, hand it over and I'll fit it.

I was speculating why not incorporate such a unit into the fuel filler cap? It will do its job, remain unseen, and we'll all be friends again..:deal ??
  5. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you were more concerned about the environment than the legalities of it all.

You've been going on and on about why US bikes should keep the canister installed, but don't even have one yourself?

Now, when offered a free canister, you will only fit it when it becomes a legal requirement?

Do you not see the hypocrisy?
  6. Pir8te

Pir8te over forty victim of fate

Oddometer:
    Monday, Jun. 24, 1974 Time Magazine
    "Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round. Scientists have found other indications of global cooling. For one thing there has been a noticeable expansion of the great belt of dry, high-altitude polar winds —the so-called circumpolar vortex—that sweep from west to east around the top and bottom of the world."

Some day you will be old enough to remember the last Ice Age I have lived through this before and survived the ozone hole, 20 hurricane seasons and now ?

Interesting someone who I don't know Reid Bryson PhD, has made note of the retreating glaciers showing old Silver mines in Switzerland.. what is old is new again

:hide

:pot