1. eNewsletter Sign Up

How far can I expect to go?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tusker, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Tusker

Tusker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be changing jobs soon and I was thinking of scheduling an employment gap of about a week. Using this time, my wife and I are trying to plan a mini riding vacation, two-up on my 640 Adv, starting from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Newton</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">KS</st1:State> (near <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wichita</st1:place></st1:City>). I’d prefer to avoid pavement as much as possible. That means dirt/gravel roads, trails, whatever. We’re still in the early planning stages, and haven’t even decided on a direction/destination yet. Here’s the problem: we’re only going to have about a week to do this trip in, so we’re severely limited by time. I don’t want this to be a rushed trip. We’d like it to be pretty relaxed, being able to stop here and there to see the sights, take breaks, enjoy the scenery, etc.
    How many miles do you think we can expect to travel in one week at this pace? Got any advice on where to go or what to see? Thanks in advance,
    PD Clinton likes this.
  2. bmast

bmast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me you've already answered your own question. Due to your time constraints, the fact that you're going two up, you don't want to travel roads and you don't want to be rushed, who cares what you're milage will be? Maybe you'll do 200mi a day, maybe 45. Considering you're game plan, I don't know I'd even take it in to account. If you only have 10 days, ride out 5 days, then turn around.
  3. Tusker

Tusker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

True, but I'd like to at least head toward something with the intention of seeing it. I'm not going to plan the trip down to exactly where we're going to stay at night and where we're going to eat, but I'd like to have a general idea of where we'll end up. Basically, if we're only going to have a 1000 mile circle around Wichita that we can travel, we'll probably head somewhere different than if we had a 1500 mile circle. I guess I was hoping someone would chime in who has done something similar and could tell me that I could expect to go about xxx miles per day.
  4. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    You're going to get tired and butt-sore more quickly riding 2-up, especially on the 640. I'd consider that at least for gas/drink/snack/pee breaks, if not for day's end mileages.

250 miles two up in the dirt would be a pretty good day if I was to make a wild-ass guess....but it depends on whose butt is in the saddle, too.
  5. f-five

f-five Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that your back on the bike. You are in a pretty good location for a trip like this, my folks have done many 7-14 day trips starting from your area on their Goldwing. Here are a few high level destination type trips.

1. Head north to South Dakota through the Bad Lands and into the Black Hills, stop and see Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore and over into Wyoming to devils tower and on west in Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park. Take the long way back through the Rockies.

2. Head west to the Rockies, some of the most breathe taking scenery. You could head to Pikes Peak, Royal Gorge, Four Corners and on to the Grand Canyon. There are really so many things to stop and see on this trip you won't have any trouble finding daily destinations plus there is miles and miles of jeep roads through the Rockies.

3. Head south to Hot Springs Arkansas and stay in one of the downtown hotels with the hot springs. Make sure your route takes you through southern Missouri (The Ozarks) and northern Arkansas. This area has some of the best dual sporting gravel roads in the country.
  6. Tusker

Tusker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, F-Five. We have talked about taking the western route through the rockies, or possibly going southwest through NM and returning through CO. This employment gap may come pretty soon, so I may not have enough time to plan and get prepared as much as I would like. I guess we'll see. thanks for the input
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You need to learn yourself how far you want to go....really.
    You don't have much time - one week.
    Go to the Ozarks in S MO and N AR.
    World-Class paved twisties and extensive systems of USFS dirt roads.
    A day there, a day back, and several days left to ride/fart around.
    You will enjoy it and your babe will too.
  8. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't try to venture off too far with just a weeks time and two up on a thumper. If I had to guess, I would think 100-200 miles a day on backroads or dirt roads would get old real quick for the lady, atleast I know I wouldn't want to do it. My advice is don't worry so much about how much ground you can cover but enjoy the places you do see.
  9. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    +1 You said it better than I could have.

Trying to rush a trip (in my opinion)always sucks, Just pick out some places that interest you that are within range and enjoy the ride there, enjoy taking in the sites, taste, smells, whatever, and just relax and go with the flow :thumb