How have you improved your HF tire changing stand?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scottdc, Jun 30, 2019.

1. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally decided to get a real tire changing stand, the portable dirtbike one I've been using is way too wobbly and generally sucks for street tires. I held my nose and bought a Harbor Freight rig as I couldn't quite justify the No-Mar/Cycle Hill setup this year. I already own a MojoLever and am planning on adding Mojo Blocks but what other ways can the HF changer be improved? Should bother with upgrading the hardware to see if I can make it more sturdy?

My wife and I are both daily riders, year-round, so anything to improve the tire changing process would be appreciated. We wear out a couple pairs of tires each every year and one of us usually ends up with a puncture at some point.
  2. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Key thing is to get it mounted securely to the floor. Once I did that, things got much easier. +++ on Mojo blocks and the No-mar tools (all of them).
    Arbolmano and scottdc like this.
  3. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got some Redhead 1/2" inserts to bolt it down on a concrete patio with, should be almost overkill :)
  4. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, mount it to something sturdy. I chose a wooden pallet. But don’t use just any pallet as most use cheap, flimsy wood. I found a pallet at a rock/gravel outlet. Both the tire changer and myself can stand on it with no issues.
    Secondly, get a set of mojo blocks to replace the rim clamps. These will save your rims. A mojo bar makes demounting a tire a breeze. Others find it helps with mounting the tire but I’ve found frustration and use three irons.
    scottdc likes this.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adding nylon blocks, nylon to the bead breaker, bolting it solid, and a way to keep the wheel from turning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have used a NoMar bar for years.

That said, today I bought a Cycle Hill, with a bunch of accessories, for $150.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After 300 sets of tires, time to see if something other than the HF unit works better.
    scottdc likes this.
  6. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing, just make sure you bolt it down, I bolt mine into concrete anchors. MoJo stuff works well.
    scottdc and JimVonBaden like this.
  7. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought mine last year and did some work to it. I used to do machining work before being a nurse. My fabrication tools at home are a drill, drill press, bench grinder, sawsall, 4 inch angle grinder, hammers, vise... yeah pretty sad considering what I had access to. I miss having access to a mill and lathe.
    So far I have only done 1 set of tires with it I modified the clamps using an old nylon cutting board. I made blocks like the mojo blocks. I cut the nylon in strips, one longer and ground a groove in it. Pushed them into the holder and ran a bolt through it.
    IMG_20190911_204053155.jpg
    I did copy this guys bar...

It worked good taking tires off, tough to use putting them on.

I did some more mods. I made the upper arm be able to be flipped up out of the way.
    IMG_20190911_204126352.jpg

I added threaded rod that fit into the threaded hole since nothing I own has that big of a bearing. I might make others smaller as soon as I have access to a welder. I added washers to help hold the wheel down and a nut. I use a strap to keep it from turning, but I like the idea of the padded bar idea.
    IMG_20190911_204056218_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    I made a new bar for a changer. I used a heavy piece of black iron pipe. I cut out a mount for the duck head using a piece of plate steel that was heavier that the original one I made.
    IMG_20190911_201240540.jpg
    Figure I cut the head mount with a damn sawsall and ground it in with a bench grinder. The mount is pounded into the flattened iron pipe. I don't have a welder so I used a self threading bolt into a hole I drilled, cut the bolt off so it's pinned in place. Coated the whole thing with truck bed coating and added some rubber tube as a handle.
    IMG_20190911_205136707.jpg
    I slipped a piece of old inner tube over the bead breaker base. I have several small 2x4's handy to support a wheel.

Next time I have a wheel off, mine are all 17" on my street bikes, I'm going to break the bead down, put the mount/demount head into the rim and mark where the mount demount bar and center bar meet. On either side of the center bar I'll drill a hole for a u-bolt to go through so the mount demount head can't twist and (hopefully) stays against the rim.
    IMG_20190911_204827827.jpg
    Now I just need some tires.
  8. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, thanks for posting to this thread. I just purchased the HF motorcycle tire changer and wheel balancer. Great info that is helping me out. It is going to take a little time to sort it all out and make the mods.

Generally I change 1 or 2 street tires per year and would just order my tires through the dealer, drop the wheels off and have them do it. This last go around I was told by the service dept that they no longer will do tire changes on HD wheels because a previous customer complained about a scratched rim. I figured that's fine, I'll just invest a little money, time & effort. The setup should pay for itself after about 5 tire changes. The bonus is my riding friends can use it also.
    NurseBill likes this.