How I copied everyone else's Sportster ADV build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by CopyCat, Aug 31, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only sent you 38 knobs
    CopyCat likes this.
  2. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    They must be reproducing :clap
    yokesman and villageidiot like this.
  3. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then, back after a week of dirty fun. What about controls and the cockpit set up? Because the KTM forks use 7/8" bars, a straight swap to HD isn't gonna happen. I know they make reducer sleeves but you are left using the HD boat anchor controls. Explored Japanese controls but there were clutch and throttle cable issues using JDM parts. Then I read on XL forums that Buells used 7/8" bars. AHA!!!! Got left and right controls, and a clutch perch for a Buell Blast. I noticed that the control end of the HD clutch cable was different than the Buell, so I got a new Buell cable and it fit perfectly. The throttle cables were an exact fit. The Buell controls had different color wires than the HD, and a guy from the XL forums drew up a wiring diagram for me to match functions. I did find that since I am using a DR650 pilot lamp box assembly (?) with only one turn signal lamp idiotlights.jpg
    and the HD has 2 lamps (L/R), I had to eliminate the HD turn signal module and go to a Buell style flasher. It did require I use the speedo wire as a traveler for the turn signals, but that's OK since the KTM front wheel is a cable drive speedometer. Blacked out and WAY lighter than the HD stuff!!!! I did lose the oil light from the Sportster but that's OK. Had a set of Renthal Fat Bars with a set of Vibranators (just because I think them cool) and 2" Rox risers left over from the DR350 weight project and got them on. Used pillow top grips as they are way light and uber comfortable. Fastway F.I.T. brush guards to protect levers. Also relocated the key switch to the DR lamp holder as I prefer to keep the key away from possible damage in a crash. Perfect fit. Stock KTM master closes the circle.
    left control.jpg right control.jpg
  4. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice seat pan :thumb
    CopyCat likes this.
  5. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    I copied the exhaust directly from @JimmyTheHog Carducci dual sport build. I really liked the way it tucked in and didn't hang below the frame rails. I looked at all the other builds here and there were problems with peg lowering bracket clearances. Since I was using Chainsickle lowering brackets I was left with little aftermarket choices. It was then back to @WIsixfitty for a stainless exhaust. Dave is a very good fabricator and welder, and has a lifetime of exhaust building experience. I think he did a wonderful job. It really hugs the frame and is in as tight as we could safely put it. Dave built a nice heat guard that won't fill with mud like a shield would. He also used KTM springs to hold it all together, and it is rubber mounted at the collector and the muffler. Speaking of that, I had a Suzuki GSXR X40F0X titanium muffler intended for my DR650 but it never made it on there that we used. It weighs a paltry 3.8 lbs and should muffle it fairly nicely. It does not ever need to be repacked and has a spark arrestor fitted. I'm pleased. It will be sound tested later in September.
    62023473_2259091634408810_1423941903853813760_n.jpg
    side exhaust 1.jpg
    61797930_2259089317742375_4133635469525123072_n.jpg
    61764466_2259090577742249_4693132518348554240_n.jpg
  6. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dig it. Looks like it's going to be fun.
    CopyCat likes this.
  7. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea on the exhaust mount off the rear set plate.:thumb Will have to file that one away for future use.
    Honda-50, JagLite and CopyCat like this.
  8. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    It was time for low sets. I purchased mine from Chainsickle. I know there are some with very real quality and service issues, particularly @villageidiot, whom I feel really badly about his lowsets. I however, was blessed to have none. Mine are good quality. I spoke to Shane and explained I am a huge dude, and he said he could increase the size of the pivot and bolts to handle the weight. I also requested that the pegs fold at a 45 degree to the back. I saw some of his stuff that the pegs folded straight up, and that's a potential ankle breaker.. He also offered me deeply discounted set of Fastway pegs, which some consider the best on the market and are nice and wide and long. These suckers really bite. He also increased the length of the brake lever and decreased the shift lever for my size 15s. After installation I noticed the right lowset was fully 1 1/2" offset away from frame, making the pegs unequal width. I asked Shane and he said it was to clear the exhaust. At my request he made shorter spacers and that solved that. Still plenty of room for a custom exhaust and more balanced feeling. I also used a TC Brothers sprocket cover and the Chainsickle sets were bolted directly against it with none of the suggested spacers used. I wanted to use a Licks Cycle sprocket cover, but I waited 2 months and they refused to call or answer my numerous calls and inquiries. I finally disputed the charge and they paid without squeal. Added in a folding pedal based on @madrider5150 experience with breakage.
    pegs.jpg
    chinsickle.jpg

These Sportsters need some sort of chain slider on the swingarm to prevent the chain rubbing at the pivot. I used a piece of snowmobile track guide. Being Wisconsin everyone has these in their parts bin. Inmates here have used all kinds of stuff from breadboards to custom machined sliders to other things. These should last OK, we will see. If not I have 3 more feet of the stuff:lol3.
    chain slider.jpg
    I had a series of talks with @JimmyTheHog about gearing, and here is what he said "...but now have 25/56. 25 tooth up front is about as big as you can go before the chain will occasionally hit the lower screw mount on the sprocket cover. I wanted to go as big a sprocket as possible up front to get the chain up and over the swingarm pivot to minimize chain rubbing on the Delrin slider." Since I am a copycat 25/56 it was. I used an LVL chain tensioner. I relocated the spring pivot so it gave the chain more tension. I know @madrider5150 blew his up. We shall see.
    AK650 and JagLite like this.
  9. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Just a little fun thing. @norseXL had designed a personalized 3D printed fuse cover. He agreed to design one and a couple days later this showed up email
    djebel2.png
    I then emailed it off to a 3D printing company and 4 days later this showed up. Sweetness!!!! Thanks Tore!!!!!!!
    cover.jpg
  10. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    This is great!! In!
    CopyCat likes this.
  11. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    That's great you had such good luck dealing with Shane and looks like the sprocket cover worked out nicely. It looks like you didn't use any spacers between the cover and the rearset?
  12. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Correct. It seemed to lay flat directly on the cover. It did need new shorter bolts though. And my dealings with Shane were not without minor problems, just that the quality was good
  13. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    So, I am a very big fellow. A test sit very quickly revealed that the air cleaner is too far back. Saw @johnwesley and @madrider5150 used a Hammer 2" forward offset air cleaner. So I copied them. Once installed about 3/4" of air filter was exposed using the stock ham can. Rain and water crossings might soak the filter, no good.
    plug1.jpg

Added 3/4" to the cover and painted with Hot Rod Flatz. Much better. Ran hose up and over to a small catch can I attached to teh side of teh oil cover. I plan on trying to install Buell covers with PCV valves to eliminate the fugly hose arrangement
    nes cover.jpg
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Man I'm glad you linked this to the Sportster thread or I may have missed it. Great stuff man!
    CopyCat likes this.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending upon how you ride you may want to do a airfilter test for flow. just changing the filter on a buell nets 5 rwhp.
  16. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm. Thank you, food for thought. I can't possibly imagine needing or using 5 more HP for offroad stuff, but I'll sure bear it in mind. As long as the torque curve stays flat and low I'm happy
  17. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Weighed the Djebel today on a set of race car scales that were zeroed at 200 lbs. I'm pretty darn sure these are accurate. Taken wet with full 3.3 of gas.
    weight.jpg

I was absolutely gobsmacked at 503 lbs. It was taken at upright at the balance point so I'm pretty darn sure there isn't THAT much error. I would have bet my ass that the weight would have been about 460. I thought of all the porky HD stuff that was replaced with plastic, and the savings on the exhaust would have added up FAR better than that. I was kinda irritated, then came home and saw this
    weight2.PNG
    If you believe this source then subtracting at least 25 lbs for oil/gas/fork oil (each leg takes 800cc) then I took 60 lbs off (which sounds far more realistic) Do these numbers sound accurate to you guys? I'm a little leery cause they list the gas tank at 4.1 gallons, I thought 3.3 was the biggest. Does this make all numbers suspect?
    JagLite likes this.
  18. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're concerned about how much your bike weighs when your bike is a Harley?
    yokesman and JagLite like this.
  19. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    No.. I'm just puzzled that there wasn't more of a reduction. It just doesn't compute
    JagLite likes this.
  20. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    From what I observed of the H-D design overall, it's quite hefty compared to other mfgers. The frame was down right beefy to say the least.