How I copied everyone else's Sportster ADV build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by CopyCat, Aug 31, 2019.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow! The low sets I received didn’t look like that
  2. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Yeah I havent gotten to ride mine hard enough to notice any frame flex. As far as the lowsets, I have played with the shifter position before and found some positions very difficult to shift, had to do some trial and error.
    Maybe I missed it, what kickstand are you running?
    villageidiot likes this.
  3. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Right? I was thinking I want those- look a bit more like carducci type
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an extended KLR stand
    madrider5150 likes this.
  5. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    No? What do they look like?
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They weren’t as beefy, they were quite spindly lookin really

I don’t have any full pics, just close ups of the shit workmanship that I received.
  7. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i know that was a pile of shit workmanship. I still can't figure that whole thing out
    villageidiot likes this.
  8. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Little comparison- see the style you got goes the upper bolt like the carducci, more material etc. Looks like a much better set up
    4-050 Shift on Bike.jpg
    CDS18_56.jpg
    buzzword and villageidiot like this.
  9. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Oh my. There is a big difference, isn't there? It really shows up the geometry differences also. JTH has all his levers in a nice straight line with 90 degree angles.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  10. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I think that bottom pivot might be braced too but cant tell for sure. It would be a really good set up combined with the folding tip. BTW how did you do the folding tip? Custom hole size from Shane? The stock set has different thread size shift peg than stock so cant just bolt one in from alloy art.
  11. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    I used a Woodcraft on Shanes recommendation. It has a little pin in it to keep it from rotating, I just ground a small slot in the arm to locate the pin. It allowed me to rotate it forward a bit for my size 15's
    https://www.solomotoparts.com/Woodc...THVYKW2KGSkS3bZGhhYRmyMckhtr8aEhoCYQcQAvD_BwE
    madrider5150 likes this.
  12. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    You appear to have some fabricating skills and I realize this may not be the proper rig for your intentions but you could go the way of the stock "tuber" Buell rig. I also included a shot of the mock-up on my XS650. No shifting issues with either one.
    Sportys seem to require a pretty long pull regardless.

Attached Files:

CopyCat likes this.
  13. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    That is not unlike @johnwesley original design.
    1230749340_vzc9h-L.jpg
    molochnik and johnwesley like this.
  14. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

Believe it or not that is a Chainsickle setup on my bike. Before he got all fancy. The shift lever was soft and easily bent is probably why he went with the design you have though it’s not as functional as the one I had. Using a harder aluminum alloy would have fixed the bending issue with the risk of being more brittle. Going to a steel shifter would have been easier and cheaper but then we would all complain about the weight. Even though it would still be less than half of what we took off the bike. Maybe you could get him to build a set like mine and then just have the shifter copied in a better material.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the toe peg , if you get a brass toilet bulb screw to hold it, when dropped will give and not damage anything else, little permatex to lock it in. bought a spare just for? this is what I used on my Buell after a steep parking lot drop.
    CopyCat, JagLite and molochnik like this.
  16. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    It's a very delicate balance - designing/fabbing something like John's where it looks nice, sleek, and lightweight *or* my general approach where I hope there is some aesthetic value in a beefy look and the expectation of maintaining the item's functionality.
    Sleek, light, and survivable is where the real beauty lies.

The Buell style monkey-motion will provide more room/material/options to find the right lever ratios for your taste. I've not had any problems with the Rube Goldberg rig on my Cyclone - on the street or on the track. Haven't had any regrets on the rigid either...but I haven't ridden either one on dirt (on purpose).
    madrider5150, CopyCat and johnwesley like this.
  17. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!! Vibration in right peg issue resolved. It seems I tightened the chain roller too much and it wasn't rolling. Don't tighten these like axles:imaposer! Replaced with a skateboard wheel that's working great. When I get the replacement wheel Imma make up a spacer between the bearings so I can tighten it like an axle
    wheel.jpg
  18. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    I found the clutch set up after I adjusted it to have a very narrow friction range for some reason. It was "grabby" and like alight switch with almost no smooth transition. Made woods and slow speed riding a jerky exercise. I could never seem to get it adjusted out correctly. Got a new clutch pack to eliminate the spring plate as a precaution, installed a Muller power clutch and a 2 finger RSC stunt clutch lever. What a difference!!!! The friction range now is very easy to ride slowly, and the clutch is now truly a 2 finger affair, almost a 1 finger action. Not the Beta trials bike but not far off. The spring plate was pretty loose too so I'm glad I did the change.
  19. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Im interested in seeing a pic of your bar control set up .. real interested in converting to 1 1/8- 7/8" bars whenever I get my bike back together lol
    Good to hear the muller works so good, I bought the knock off- forget the name years ago, never installed it
  20. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    @madrider5150 You mean like these? Buell Blast controls and clutch perch. Just need a Buell clutch cable and the Buell throttle cables fit right on. If you mean the risers I just used Rox 7/8 to 1 1/8
    left control.jpg right control.jpg