1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

How I copied everyone else's Sportster ADV build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by CopyCat, Aug 31, 2019.

1. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the mickey mouse mirrors are known to be turbulance creators, the copy of an Honda AT and many ujm bikes sells for about $13 on ebay.
  2. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Did you get the harley spec lever from RSC or the universal?
  3. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the universal. If I was to do it over I would try to work with the Buell lever first. I did all three things at once so I cant say which one was most effective. The RSC is expensive, and if a fellow could make the Buell work and be satisfied the money might could be spent elsewhere. That being said, the RSC IS a really nice lever. I did have to not use the adjuster. The HD/Buell is adjusted in mid cable.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  4. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Yup, Im sure. I had them in my box though. How much turbulance could they possibly create? Enough to make riding unsafe?
  5. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Every ADV bike has to have some racks, right? Because the subframe is DR650, I ordered a set of Dirtracks in raw steel for a DR650. Had to modify them some to fit the Sportster frame rails and narrowed them 1" on each side to fit closer in, but in the end it all worked out. Impression: Good sturdy racks but man....the welding leaves something to be desired
    1201191150a.jpg
    1201191150.jpg
  6. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Coming along beautifully!
    Now I'm curious how you plan to address fuel capacity? I had to borrow fuel on wabdr on a 135 mile section with the 3.3 gallon tank. I may have made it but didn't want to take a chance when I ran into a fella overlanding in a Tacoma and had about 20 extra gallons with him.
    I'm sure the TAT has many longer sections between gas stops. It really sucks having to think about fuel around 100 miles.
    You must have an elegant solution up your sleeve...
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a rotopax can go right down on that sweet tail rack or either side rack
    madrider5150 likes this.
  8. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Didnt think about that, yeah that would do nicely.
  9. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Yup, if I have to have it a Rotopax will fit on either side, I have soft bags so Im hoping they will just fit right over the Rotos
  10. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Started fitting up a Paughco 832C 4.2 gallon tank today. It is sold as fitting the 96-03 Sportsters. It will fit on, the front mount tabs have to be widened a bit to fit over the coil bracket. I is definitely wider and seems to be flatter than the stock 3.3. The wideness doesn't seem to interfere with leg positioning. It does seem to be shorter as there is now a gap between the seat and the tank, and it looks like the rear is a little taller than stock, but Ima add an inch of foam anyways. The top triple does hit the tank so some judicious massaging might be in order. Gimme that BFH!!!!!!
    tank2.jpg tank4.jpg
    tank3.jpg tank5.jpg
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    it is likely that the tank was built for the earlier bikes where the coils mounted to the left side of the bike at the upper engine mount.
    CopyCat and AK650 like this.
  12. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    That actually looks pretty good! Was it coated inside or you gonna run it bare metal? Should push the range to 150 miles comfortably
  13. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    It ain't too bad. Its unlined and imma tryna leave it that way. I've seen too many liners fail to trust them
    tire joe, AK650, madrider5150 and 3 others like this.
  14. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Probably best bet, mine failed a few years ago, trying to reline it seemed like a major hassle and then iffy results.
    CopyCat likes this.
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    i have a radiator shop down here does good work, and we've had success with it, but if i can leave it bare, i do.
    madrider5150 and AK650 like this.
  16. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    Got tired of looking at all the wiring under the speedometer, and the idiot light panel was covered by the handlebars. Made a dash plate of 1/8" aluminum. Moved the speedo up where its easily seen, the warning light panel is now in center and easy to see. Also added a small induction tach for hoots. The supports run from the light brackets and are two pieces and bolted. If one gets bent it will be easy to remove it to repair or replace, sorts modular. Also added new smaller LED turn signals and moved them up where they are supposed to be on the cowl. Also added a nice USB charging port. Ive used these on the DR and when the cap is on they are absolutely waterproof. When mounted in the center by the neck they don't seem to get and weird twists when turning.
    dash2.jpg dash.jpg
  17. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Nice work! Looks like you massaged the tank a little bit too there ..
    Ginger Beard, Fast Idle and CopyCat like this.
  18. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    LOL!!!! That might be an understatement
  19. CopyCat

Oddometer:
    After spending all Fall and early Winter finishing the speedway bike, I am back to projects on the Djebel Sportster. Needed a method to keep mud and junk out of the R/R fins so in true Copycat fashion I swiped this idea directly from the Carducci Scorpion. Used a louvered panel and made a standoff so its away from the R/R body . The louvers are the same width as the R/R so shouldn't restrict air flow.
    rrlouvers.jpg
    smolt, Webman, Ginger Beard and 4 others like this.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Missing a skid plate bolt
    AK650 likes this.