How I Ducati'd my wife

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BlueLghtning, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    This isn't really your typical ride report, but its got lots of great Ducati pictures and a loving couple who loves playing jokes on each other. :lol3

So, I've got to start with a bit of a back story here.

GypsyAngel (Sarah) has liked Ducati's for a while and in fact before we got married a few years ago, she kept telling me she didn't want a diamond ring, a motorcycle would be fine for an engagement present. She even came up with a saying instead of the famous "He went to Jared", it became "He went to Ducati". :evil

Well it turned out the engagement present was a scooter, but she still said yes, so I guess a couple years later I'm getting the payback. It didn't help though after a demo ride on a Ducati Monster 696 a couple years back, she really had a liking to that bike. We were doing a lot of touring then, so the Ducati didn't really fit in the picture. However, a couple months ago she started talking about wanting a more sporty bike to play on, ride to bike night, and go ride in the mountains and even brought up that maybe she needed another sportbike. I said I was pretty much over sport bikes and if she was going to get something, get a naked bike that was still sporty. So that is when the Ducati Monster entered the picture again. About 3-4 weeks ago, that passion of hers went into hyper drive and her Facebook page was filled every day with Ducati Monster, Ducati pictures, tagging me on posts and basically wearing me down every day on Ducati. At first it was cute, then it became annoying, then my friends joined in on her side in my misery, and then I realized at some point, I was losing and this was going to happen if I liked it or not! :lol3

Some of her FB posts started like this

Then she decided she liked the White on Red
    Then she started taunting me with this hideous thing! :eek1
    Then daily she had stuff like this
    You get the picture. Even our friends started joining in taking pics of Ducati's and tagging us in them or posting stuff on our walls. :rofl

Even this one showed up

The worst thing about this was that she pretty much was stuck on a brand new 2012 Ducati Monster 696 with ABS and she had decided she wanted the white on red frame, even though the 696 doesn't technically come in that combo. I've never bought a new bike in my life even after owning 50+ motorcycles, but I was warming up to the idea even though I'm about as frugal as they come. :deal

We had went up to our favorite BMW Ducati dealership and test rode a brand new 696 & 796 back to back. The 796 comes in the white/red combo she wanted, but it turned out we both liked the 696 better and it would definitely fit her better. Our buddy and salesman told us that was no problem as he had a spare white body kit and they transferred over no problem. Sarah was just glowing and I'm pretty sure she figured at this point it was a done deal, but I was bound and determined not to make a rush decision and take it home that day. Plus we had both ridden up there on our own bikes, so we had no way to get it home. :D

So a week or two goes by and I haven't actually told Sarah we are getting it, but I've already decided its going to happen at some point. I think it was about last weekend I finally conceded to myself that I was losing this battle, but I had to have a little fun of my own if I was going to go through with it. Hey there could be worse things than your wife wanting a brand new motorcycle that you get to enjoy also. :p I love that we share a motorcycle passion together, and I could see how much she was glowing just thinking about owning one, and she's definitely worth it!

I think this is what I looked like and knew I was doomed!
    So I figured since she had had so much fun at my expense, I was going to have some fun too.

Stay tuned for some more!

Here's some more FB pics. I'm telling you, you have no idea unless you are friends with on FB how many pics she posted. It got overwhelming!

She knows I love dual sports, so this one I actually liked though! LOL
    ....con't
  2. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Sarah was catching on that I was easing up and warming up to the idea, but we still hadn't set an exact date when we were going to pick it up. I finally told her this week, we'd go see about a deal by the end of the week, probably Friday, but I think she still felt I was just leading her on. Well it just so happened that Sarah had to go help her Dad Wed evening and take him to the hospital Thursday for some tests and she wouldn't be home Wed evening and would miss our weekly bike night that I host. Suddenly a light bulb went off. I had the perfect opportunity to pick up the bike and better yet, I even could get my retaliation for the hell on FB she had put me through for the past 3-4 weeks! :rofl

Sarah leaves for work before I ever get up normally and I work from home so she had no idea I had taken the day off to go pick up the bike. I happened to wake up when she did that Wed morning and asked her if she was certain she wanted the white on red. I still at the time thought the white on black looked better and she had just gotten a new pink/white/black alpinestar's jacket and had her helmet wrapped to match the jacket. I kind of felt like the pink and red might clash, but she said that was what she wanted. I told her I'd get the paper wark started so it was ready for Friday and that way she wouldn't suspect anything if I had to call her for info today. I had already told our buddy Bobby I was coming up to get the bike Wed and we'd make the deal, so he was aware too.

So I head up to the north side of Atlanta to BMW Ducati Husqvarna Motorcycles with the trailer and hope we can get everything done and I get home back in time before Sarah gets home. While I'm there at BMW, I'm still torn on the color. I really want to see the white on red in person so Bobby takes me upstairs and shows me a 796 with the white/red combo and I agree it looks great in person. Our first thought is that we are just going to swap the panels there, but then I start questioning how much is the 2nd set of body panels. Bobby makes me a great deal on the panels and I decide to just buy the bike as it is Red on Red and I'll put the white panels on myself and we'll have both sets.

I have to call Sarah for a few things of info I need from her, but she never even suspects that I'm actually at the dealership getting the bike. She just thinks I'm passing it on to Bobby for Friday. The deal goes through and I've got the bike loaded up and headed home, but I'm cutting it close. I know that Sarah is going to come home for a bit before she heads up to the north side to be with her Dad, so I've got to hide the bike before she gets home. I'm thinking at first I'll put in in my home office as she never goes in there, but it turns out I barely beat Sarah home by 15 mins. I had just enough time to unload the bike, get my car and trailer back like they were, close the garage and I hear her pulling in. :huh We usually never open the garage if we aren't riding, so I go out and meet her through the front door. I realize I'm dripping in sweat and not really sure how I'm going to explain that. She notices, but doesn't really pay attention. It turns out she's too focused on getting ready to see her Dad. It's around 5pm and our bike night is at 7pm and I still haven't swapped body panels yet on the bike, but I gotta get her out of the house some how so I can work on it. She at first says she's just going to leave when I do for bike night, but I know I can't risk that. So I decide to tell her I'm going to just go enjoy some riding on my bike before bike night and she'll leave early and sure enough she does.

I'll leave you with some more FB posts from Sarah.....

She's also a Sci-Fi fan so she posted up those too
    More friends helping out
    .....Con't
  3. Cykel

Cykel I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty much following Sarah around the house trying to keep her occupied and not find a reason to go in the garage. At one point she's heading towards the garage and I think I'm doomed, but she turns into the laundry room to grab to some clothes for her overnight stay at her Dad's. So finally, Sarah leaves to head to the other side of Atlanta to be with her Dad, and I get busy in the garage. I couldn't believe I had just pulled that off, but it was time to get busy. It takes me about an hour to swap out the panels and I'm once again dripping with sweat.

Before I swap the panels though I do grab a few pics of the bike setup as red on red as this is all going to work into my plan! Oh yeah, I told my idea to the sale's guy and he gave me another idea so I had 2 stunts to pull off! This was going to be great! I was finally going to have my retaliation. My wife's a pretty good sport and we like playing jokes on each other, but I was wondering if I was pushing my luck with this one, but I was gonna do it anyways. :lol3

Here's some of the pics of it in red!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even took some "teaser" shots that would come into play later
    [​IMG]

If you look close, you can see the reflection of the bikes in the garage, but that was fine. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I get the bike transformed and it looks like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some more "teaser" shots of the white bike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about some more FB posts. Really, I have an endless supply of FB pics from my wife of Ducati! I think I'm closing my FB account as it cost me a new bike! :nod
    ....Con't
  5. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    I'm just glad my wife wanted a TW200.
  6. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    So the body panels are swapped, I pack up my netbook, camera, and head off to bike night. Only my Dad and one other friend are already there and their mouths drop as they see me pull up. They know me well and can't believe I gave in, but of course they are wondering where Sarah is. I hadn't told anyone of my plan, so I was sure I could pull it off and no one would spoil it for me. :evil

So here's the first part of my plan. Since Sarah decided to share with the world on FB that I needed to buy her a Ducati, well I was going to share with the world her new Ducati before she got to see it. I mean what better way to introduce your wife to her new bike. :clap Yeah, I'm digging myself a grave. :lol3

So I had a lot of pics to get as everyone showed up for bike night. My plan was to take a picture of everyone at bike night sitting on her new bike! :freaky :D

So one by one, I have everyone sit on the bike and take their picture. They all said I was doomed, but loved my plan anyway! Remember, Sarah still has no idea at this point that I even have the bike!

Me
    [​IMG]

This is my Dad, Bruce
    [​IMG]

Benny
    [​IMG]

Johnathan
    [​IMG]

Sharon
    [​IMG]

Sharon #2
    [​IMG]

Diane
    [​IMG]

Matt :)
    [​IMG]

Sharon #2's husband. His name escapes me at the moment
    [​IMG]

Garry
    [​IMG]

Andrea
    [​IMG]

Kith
    [​IMG]

Jody
    [​IMG]

Jessica
    [​IMG]

Brook
    [​IMG]

Jim. Sarah doesn't even know this guy. This was the first time he showed up at our bike night so he's a complete stranger to her! :rofl
    [​IMG]

A few of the ladies didn't want to sit on the bike. They said they wanted no part of that! haha.

BTW, here's our group! We had a great turnout tonight
    [​IMG]

So I'm sure you can see where this is going by now. :D

......Con't
  7. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    So with all the pics taken and the others I had taken at home, we head inside and I get busy uploading the pics to my netbook.

I start kind of innocently on Sarah's FB wall with a few posts on her old threads about Ducati. I get a few pics posted, but she doesn't notice, so I send her a text message that her FB is calling her.

All of the below was posted on her FB.

Next Post
    Now this is the one that might give it away with the reflection of the garage and sure enough a friend notices it right away
    Somewhere in there I get this text message from Sarah. :D
    Then I figure its time to really confuse her and post up these two back to back. Obviously both of these are in our garage. A this point, she's thinking I bought 2 Ducati Monsters! :D
    At this point, I'm waiting for my phone to start blowing up, but surprisingly it doesn't.

Some more FB posts from Sarah prior to this.

.....Con't
  8. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    So next is the greatest part of my scheme. I upload a whole album on my FB and name it "Sarah's new 2012 Ducati 696" and post all the pictures of everyone sitting on Sarah's bike and tag her in the album. I'm not going to post them all again, but you get the picture of what she's finally realizing after she see's this album. I bought the bike and brought it to bike night and let everyone sit on it and then introduced her to her new bike on FB! :rofl

First she responds directly on my picture on the bike with this
    So this is the FB conversation on that album

So I pulled it off and my wife loved it! :wings

So after bike night was over I call her on the phone so we can chat. At first she gets all serious on me and goes honey, are you sure we can afford two Ducati's? I start laughing and confess that there really is only 1 Ducati and two sets of plastic which she loves even more. She comments that she didn't think I'd buy 2 identical bikes. We spend the next 30 minutes laughing our butts off on the phone and we both agree it was totally awesome how I pulled that off. She said she was in tears laughing as she saw everyone sitting on the bike. She even tells me that she was so concentrated on her Dad, she didn't even notice I was acting all funny at the house, but looking back it all started to make sense. It will truly be a moment to remember for both of us!

My final FB post on her page tonight:
    I have to actually travel to my office tomorrow which is an hour away, but I'm taking the Duc so Sarah will have to wait just a little bit longer till I get home tomorrow evening with the bike before she finally gets to see it! :D

So that is how I Ducati'd my wife! Hope you enjoyed that moment of our goofiness with each other!
  9. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    BTW, this was Sarah's FB post from Wednesday morning when I woke up early with her before she left for work. Part of this continued on after the surprised

Wednesday morning when I knew I was going to get the bike she posted this on her FB followed by these comments from our friends
    So the fun continues today. Sarah won't be home till this evening, so I had continue to break in the new bike, right? :D

I might be pushing my luck now! :evil

Posted on Sarah's FB this morning.

And then a few more welcome photo's of my co-workers! :rofl:

Michael
    [​IMG]

Maria
    [​IMG]

Brad
    [​IMG]

Zeke
    [​IMG]

Ashley
    [​IMG]

Bo
    [​IMG]

Pat
    [​IMG]

Jim
    [​IMG]

By the time I get home, her new bike will have about 150 miles and over 30 people have sat in it so far and all shared with all our FB friends!

So she may have got her Ducati, but I got my payback too! :clap
  10. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Yeah, did you notice the XT225 in the garage. That's how it starts out. :lol3

This is bike #7 in the garage! :rofl
  11. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice posts!
    [​IMG]
    We have a purple 695 monster in the garage. We are about to buy 2 KLRs to go on a trip. So that will make 5 bikes total.

I have ridden the 696 and love it. I hate my gf's 695.
  12. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    So Sarah finally got to sit on and ride her new bike this afternoon after I came home from work!

Even in socks, she can touch on this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All geared up ready to go!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off we go!
    [​IMG]

We took a nice 30+ minute ride together around our town before going to get some dinner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We even jumped on the interstate for one exit. I was getting left behind on my wee strom! :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salute
    [​IMG]

Grrrr, traffic won't move
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There she goes passing me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for some dinner
    [​IMG]

And then some rain just before we got home
    [​IMG]

She loves the bike!!! :clap
  13. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Derelicte

Oddometer:
    Great story! You're a good man. :thumb

Your wife has excellent taste. The Monster, in any color, is a gorgeous bike. Though in white, it's especially :raabia
  14. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    my wife loves hers too

enjoy.:clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]
  15. Gooner

Gooner Lanterne Rouge

Oddometer:
    What a great story, congrats to her on the new scoot!

So, when will you be picking up your Hypermotard?
  16. asi00007

asi00007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great story !! i love it!! you are a good man... :clap
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they actually do look good in any color, but I do have to say the white on red is definitely very nice!
  18. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Definitely great bikes for the ladies as they are so easy to handle and fun!
  19. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Haha, funny thing is my wife actually like the Hypermotard also, although she's on her toes on that one. If they made a smaller Hyper, something tells me that would have been the bike of her choice. :lol3

I actually love the Multi-Strada 1200, but whew, that's a pricey one there.
  20. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was totally awesome!

I feel for you. My wife fell in love with a Duc a few years ago. Had to have it. Here's a pic of her and the bike the day we picked it up.

[​IMG]