How I removed servo iabs brakes on my 05 :clap

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by drdata, Jul 13, 2014.

1. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    And the brain back in its roomy home. Sealed in a 1 gallon zip lock and zip tied to the air horn after I zip-tied the remaining connectors into a tidy bundle. It's nice and solid in there, so no rattles. Only concern is that heat is not an issue given the mass of the servo may have been a sink.

The two oem wiring connectors are left zip tied in the compartment for future use if servos are added back. The hardest part of that job will be rerouting the rear hard lines, but I leave that to the next owner as I have no plans to re-servo this bitch.

Attached Files:

2. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Happy to report that the speedo does in fact function. Interesting, as during the fault it did not, and of course the electrical connector was attached then, as now.

I guess a missing hydro unit is a different fault than whatever I had, so the powers that be granted me a speedometer.

Will now have to work on the flashing brake and red exclamation. The latter is a bit of a loss as it also goes yellow for low fuel.

Was able to lock the front on dry pavement with out too much level pull.

Thanks all.
  3. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SF, California area (San Ramon & Castro Valley)
    Thanks a lot for the detailed description. Does your cruise control also work since the speedometer is working ?
  4. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I don't have cruise control. I don't recall it being an option on 05, nor seeing any reports as to how its affected by servo removal.

Do update us!

Regards
  5. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will sure update everyone if the cruise control and speedo/Odometer works once I get to it soon in couple of weeks..

DrData,

What driver bit type would be needed to remove the servo/abs electronic box from the module ? Why did you have to drill it ? It is sealed type screws or something other than Torx or Star type screws ?

Thx
  6. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I updated post #20 from another thread. Check it out and good question. I believe male security torx are needed.

Thanks
  7. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks , I will also check if its the Motorq or Triwing type of screws in addition to the Torx and update.

I only plan to change plumbing to bypass abs/servo and disconnect electric plugs so my so i can have my Speedo/Odo and hopefully Cruise control too ..

I plan to reattach electronic box to servo unit as a dummy unit in case future owner wants to repair/replace and go back to servo setup so its reversible and the additional weight is not an issue for me at all as it appears as if the space cannot be used or accessed without tank removal anyways
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was never a factory cruise control on a Hexhead/Camhead. There were a few complex aftermarket ones though.
  9. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the panels and tank off today. Took some extra time as I don't have a manual.

The 4 screws for the abs/servo appear to be male torx security type at the part store BUT the BMW screw has 5 teeth/sprocket and the torx driver had 6 so didn't fit . Will check out another store tomorrow to see of they carry a 5 tooth male torx.

Jim, my 2005 RT has a factory cruise control so maybe it wasn't available on the GS or other 1200 models
  10. Jim H

Jim H Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tool for removal of the ABS Module security screws - Google: 5-POINT STAR TAMPER PROOF SECURITY BIT
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I thought we were discussing the GS. Yes, the RT had CC.
  12. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update : 2005 R1200RT abs/servo removal - dealership diagnosed failure -replacement at 38,500 miles inspite of all recommended maintenance by previous owner at dealership

Got the brake lines hooked up directly and went for a test ride .. The brakes stop and feel great .. Much better than the servo which was probably not working great plus I purchased the RT used at 37k miles

Decided to remove all plumbing and abs/servo unit as I had to bend some hard brake lines to remove them .. The thing weighs a ton

Went for a test ride without the body panels and wind protection is great on the RT without them too .. Also on the R1200RT, there is no need to remove the tank to access the abs/servo housing space .. You only need to remove the right body panel and Airbox snorkel incase you need to access the large black abs/servo electronic plug connector

Im in the process of ordering the 5 teeth torx male bit and disassemble the unit and re-plug in abs/servo connector next week.. I will update you all especially RT riders if cruise control works

My first Beemer bike and it's so easy to work on once the research is done.. A big thanks to everyone sharing info
    JimVonBaden and thirsty 1 like this.
  13. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mission accomplished !!

The speedometer and cruise control works after plugging the abs/servo plug back in leaving the mechanical module out of the bike

All functions of cruise control work and it cuts off when the clutch and brakes are applies so no mods necessarily at the brake switches at all

Made a cover with 3 panels of thin gauge Hvac sheeting to insulate the electronics and will seal it with waterproof putty or caulk / rubber so it's leak proof.

Blocked off red triangle and brake failure flashing light with black electrical tape for now ..

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. Did you verify that your brake light is working with the lever and the pedal?
  15. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my brake lights were working fine before and after the mod
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my RT listed for sale as I am into Goldwings now and just wanted to update this thread that even at 43K miles the servo/abs removal has been a trouble free mod with fantastic brakes directly linked to the calipers ..

Thanks
  17. KJD45

KJD45 n00b

Oddometer:
    I know this is old but I may be doing it soon. What was your reasoning? Were you getting fault codes?
  18. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ill let the original poster respond but in my particular situation, all of a sudden I lost braking power almost like I had no brakes and the Brake Failure light started flashing non-stop regardless of whether the bike was turned off or running.
    Typically the warning light used to go off after starting the bike and the brakes worked normally when the electric servo motors kicked in while depressing the brake lever/pedals. In my case, I also lost the electric whizzing noise on my R1200RT.

I took it to the dealer who initially diagnosed and charged me for ABS/Servo brake fluid flush and bleed job but the lights didnt go out. The they rechecked the codes and told me they couldnt fix the problem and the servo was bad and had to replace the entire abs/servo unit tune of a few thousand dollars.

After I removed the abs/servo module that saved a few lbs, I later realized you do not need to take the entire module off. Just leave everything in and disconnect old brake lines to the calipers and use new brake lines for the front and back - You can off the old brake lines and leave them in their location zip tied just in case a future owner would want get the servo repaired.
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I did the ABS-ectomy on my buddy's 05 GS.Almost exactly as per the original postings.

Pulled the unit out if just to separate the electronics and disconnect them.No need for the security Torx sockets,I cut a slot on the bolt heads with the Dremel and used a screwdriver.Grandpa's SnapOn screwdriver....!

Shrink wrapped all the connectors and slapped the electronics back on the module then reinstalled it.All the while got my buddy putting vac plugs and shrink over the lines.

Rerouted the lines for front/rear brakes as per the original posting with new crushwashers and bled.

One bottle of Dot4,crushwashers and a few hours work,done for less than $20.00.
  20. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good original write up.
    Had a 2005 GS for years and never any problems with servo ABS,but this procedure was an option,as opposed to $$$ ABS repairs.
    Did the ABS bleed procedures myself and still have the funnel,etc,if needed in future,or may be a FM item.

JR356