How I removed servo iabs brakes on my 05 :clap

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by drdata, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know its a old thread but if anyone has there old servo's laying around happy to take them for spares.
  2. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW the 5-lobe driver bit is Security Torx Plus. Torx is 6, Security Torx is 6, Torx Plus is 6, but Security Torx Plus is 5.

You can also substitute Tamper-Resistant for Security in the above wording.

The the older iABS units use Tri-Wing #3.
    ozcruiser likes this.
  3. tasslehawf

tasslehawf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason you would disconnect that iABS unit is that the servos will continue to try to operate even with the brake lines disconnected (on mine, the rear is dead, but the front still works) so I plan on leaving the unit and lines all connected.
  4. Iberico

Iberico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I have followed all the procedures listed in advrider,ukgser etc...and in my 2005 Gs1150 adventure With IABS I can’t get the brake lights to work. I changed the brake switches to non abs parts after having removed the servo unit and bypassed the hydraulics.
    I have also removed the blue abs relay.
    And I have kept the electronic part of the pump which apparently is supposed to be my brake light actuator.....
    When I turn the ignition on, one second later the brake light turns on, and stays on.
    Can you help me?
    Do I need to cut and join any cables as I have seen on other threads? Most people seem to get away without even changing the switches
  5. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normally, the ABS `brains` stay mounted on bike, only mechanical part is removed. Then no need to alter brake switches, everything keeps on working. Brake light is controlled by the ABS computer.
  6. Iberico

Iberico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply
    I tried to remove just the mechanical part...I saw thatvthe brake lights stayed on....so following @Steptoe ‘s method I changed the switches, and the light was still on.
    I’m puzzled now.
  7. Iberico

Iberico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should reset the Abs? I’msuddenly thinking this could work
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Yes but a "brake light ON at all times" is an iABS electronics module fault.So may have been there from before the ABSectomy?

Before I removed the iABS from my buddy's 05 (1200) I made sure the brake light worked.

Otherwise I'd have rewired the brake light.If one already has the early Momentary ON switches on hand,brake light circuits are rather simple and haven't changed much over the years:

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/r7e47s/motorcycle-tail-light-circuit-fused/
  9. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are referring to the bottom ABS light, that is caused by defective taillight bulb in general. If bike has iABS then brake switches are momentary OFF.
  10. valvefloat

valvefloat n00b

Oddometer:
    Just thought I would add to this thread a bit of a different option. If you have the tools to cut the hard lines and make a proper flare this is one way of minimizing the amount of connections you remove and you keep the factory movement for suspension. I didn't use any new washers since there is no need to crack those fittings and I re-bent and used the factory lines. Simple, easy alternative option.
    I included a photo of the proper flare since these bikes use a DIN not an SAE bubble flare, which is important to know.

Attached Files:

JimVonBaden and STUFF2C like this.
  11. enormiss

enormiss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finishing up ABSectomy now on my 05 GS. The plumbing is well documented in many different threads but what about warning lights? I've come across everything from pulling relays, fuses to cutting wire from pin 9 on the abs plug...
  12. IndianRider

IndianRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SF, California area (San Ramon & Castro Valley)
    On my 2005 R1200RT, I covered the red brake flashing light with a square piece of black tape and it never bothered me anymore. Everything should be working as before such as brake lights and cruise control and speedometer atleast on the RT.
  13. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You either cover the light, ignore the light, unplug the light, or go to a BMW dealership and beg them to flex the rules and flash your ECU with a non-ABS bike brain to replace your ABS brain. Many won't do it. Some may. That's the only way to get around it.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  14. klutzonwheels

klutzonwheels Man of Many Helmets

Oddometer:
    Just a word of sincere thanks to all involved in this thread, especially IndianRider. I've just purchased an '06 R1200RT with 29K on the clock. It has ABS, cruise, etc. and knowing the ABS system can be successfully bypassed is great peace of mind. The ABS system was just serviced at BMW Motorrad before the purchase and is currently working well. However, given the age of the bike, I can see the system failing at some point. At least I now have a reasonable expectation of a solid work-around.
  15. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    I just received my first rebuilt iABS unit back from Module Master, so there is that avenue also. If you are suited to this sort of work, you can also disassemble the iABS unit and clean the brush debris out of the pump motors and lubricate them. I wouldn't consider it reasonable preventive maintenance for everyone, but it would improve the health of the unit. If the pumps seize then the cost and difficulty of repair goes up.
    GS Addict likes this.
  16. klutzonwheels

klutzonwheels Man of Many Helmets

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that Module Master is not yet able to repair the iABS III that was used in the 05-06 models. Is your bike newer than '06?
    Commiehunter likes this.
  17. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They either can't do the 05/06 GS units, or they're temporarily unable to get parts.

When mine failed, the pumps were fine. I'd flushed regularly. It was the electronic controls. Ran my battery too low too often a and the voltage spike on startup fried the circuit in the unit.

The nice thing is, now I can start with the brake on.
  18. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    No, we're talking about the same thing. I am in the MC repair business and have had ABS2 and iABS2 units repaired in the past by ModuleMaster. This thread not about those; it is about iABS (1st gen, so-called Servo brakes) on an '05. This week, I received my first rebuilt iABS unit back from Module Master.

Edit because what I wrote sounded snippy.
  19. orangelion56

orangelion56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anton! My final drive still working great by the way =)

My 06 module/servo unit has failed per the dealer. Was set to perform bypass until I read your comment above. Modulemaster still showing my years as "under development" as of last week, yet you say you had one rebuilt by them?? Guess I should give them a call??
  20. orangelion56

orangelion56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alternatively, you can buy a bypass kit from Motoworks in UK for about $30 with postage:
    https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=BRA50965A