How Install A KLR250 Fairing On Your '87-'07 KLR650 Using Stock Klr650 Gauges

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dez, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Dez

Dez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, so this is my first attempt at a &#8220;HOW-TO&#8221; so, not that you need any encouragement, but criticize away :evil . If you need a better picture or explanation on something, let me know. So without further adieu, here we go&#8230;<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    *HOW TO INSTALL A KLR250 FAIRING ON YOUR 1987-2007 KLR650 USING STOCK KLR650 GAUGES*<o:p></o:p>
    TOOLS REQUIRED:<o:p></o:p>
    -Hack Saw (purchased cheapo one from Home Depot and worked fine)<o:p></o:p>
    -Drill w/ assorted bits<o:p></o:p>
    -Metric wrenches<o:p></o:p>
    -Philips Screwdriver<o:p></o:p>
    That&#8217;s it! If you have these tools, you too can have a KLR250 headlight/fairing on your KLR650 with the stock gauges. You will also have the ability to go back to the stock fairing without any hassle.<o:p></o:p>
    PARTS REQUIRED:<o:p></o:p>
    -KLR250 Fairing<o:p></o:p>
    -KLR250 Headlight Frame, Bracket and associated hardware<o:p></o:p>
    -(4) 6mm Bolts and Nuts (I used zinc coated hardware from Home Depot)<o:p></o:p>
    OK so now that you have all of your tools and parts together, let&#8217;s get started. This whole process probably took me a total of a few hours to get everything mounted and working. That is taking my time and not including taking everything back apart to repaint the parts I cut. This is so easy, just about anybody could do it.<o:p></o:p>
    STEP 1 &#8211; TEAR IT DOWN: <o:p></o:p>
    First thing you have to do is take everything apart. There are quite a few posts here showing this so I won&#8217;t go into extravagant detail here. A few screws and nuts to get the fairing off and you are left with the exposed headlight and mounting frame. Disconnect all of the wire harness plugs. Don&#8217;t worry about reassembly as the plugs can only go back together one way. Now remove the headlight from the frame and take the frame off of the bike. <o:p></o:p>
    Now you should be left with this:<o:p></o:p>
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    I know I kind of condensed that part quite a bit but it is all pretty straight forward. If you want to see anything specific, again let me know.<o:p></o:p>
    STEP 2 &#8211; HACK IT UP:<o:p></o:p>
    This is where the modifications begin and the part that makes the way I did this different from what most others here have done. This is also how you make this work with the stock gauges. So remember the bracket in the picture above that the stock gauges? Well that is going to stay with a few changes of course.<o:p></o:p>
    First change you make is to cut off the bracket that the wiring harness plugs connected to with the hack saw. Pretty easy. I also cut off the loop that goes around the throttle cables but this isn&#8217;t really needed. If cut the loop off though you do not have to disconnect the cables to remove this piece from the bike when you drill it later. <o:p></o:p>
    Cut where the red lines are:<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>
    Many people cut off the bracket that is welded on the headstock. The way I did this everything fits so you can leave it.<o:p></o:p>
    Now let&#8217;s switch over to the KLR250 headlight bracket. This is what you should have:<o:p></o:p>
    Now you are going to make a few changes to this bracket. First thing I did was cut off the tabs that held the wire harness plugs on the KLR250 (they are actually already removed in the above photo). This is circled in green.<o:p></o:p>
    Next you are going to drill out the (2) bolts that would have connected this bracket to the top triple tree of the KLR250. They are shown at the top of the above photo. I started with a small bit and worked up with larger ones until the bolts popped off. Whole thing took about 10 minutes. The bolts you drill out are circled in blue in the above photo.<o:p></o:p>
    Lastly, you are going to cut a notch where the yellow lines are. Again, pretty straight forward. This is import because it allows you to kook the speedometer cable into to the KLR650 gauges.<o:p></o:p>
    Next step is to drill the tabs the bottom triple tree. I forget what size I used but again, I started small and worked my way up until (2) of the 6mm Home Depot bolts would go through. This is what it should look like:<o:p></o:p>
    Not to confuse anybody but this is also different than how I have seen most people do this mod. Usually everyone uses some sort of extension here. The way I did this you just bolt the bracket right up. I think it is more rigid and doesn&#8217;t involve any fabrication of new parts. Alright, where was I&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    Next step involves and the KLR650 gauge bracket and the KLR250 headlight bracket. When you are done with this step, the whole this will look something like this:<o:p></o:p>
    So what I did here was to drill (2) holes the same size as the last (2) 6mm Home Depot bolts through the KLR650 gauge bracket. In the above picture I tried to show this with the red lines. Here are some different angles so you can see what I mean.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    STEP 3 &#8211; PUT IT BACK TOGETHER:<o:p></o:p>
    (Yeah, I know there was really more than (3) steps&#8230;.so sue me. You get the idea)<o:p></o:p>
    With the notch you cut in the KLR650 gauge bracket the speedometer cable should attach easily. Once everything is bolted up, the whole assembly is pretty stiff. In fact I was a little concerned there was not enough vibration isolation for the gauges but so far no problems. This is everything back together:<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While I was at it, I figured I should also perform the &#8220;Whale-Tailectomy&#8221; as I have seen it called. This is the results:<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you have it folks! I know, I know&#8230;lipstick on a pig but I think the overall result is a much less visually porcine piggy wouldn&#8217;t you say?<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In summary, this whole thing was done for about $50 in parts and I like the end result a lot. I would also recommend filing down all the cuts so you don&#8217;t have any sharp edges rubbing on cables and also painting all of the bare cuts with some black spray paint to prevent rust. I wasn&#8217;t looking for a KLR when I bought this dual sport but like many, a deal to good to pass up landed me this beauty. I hope this &#8220;HOW-TO&#8221; will help a few people out in some way.<o:p></o:p>
    I&#8217;ll end it how I started it&#8230;questions, comments, sarcastic remarks??? Let&#8217;s hear &#8216;em :ear

**Also forgot to add - A big thanks to everyone that helped me out with questions I had during this process. This is a great community so I am hoping to help some people the same way people helped me.
  2. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely worked out, Dez!!:clap Looks great!
  3. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Nice write up.
    Looking more like a c model now

[​IMG]
  4. Dez

Dez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Al - Thanks again for your advice and pictures along the way. They helped a lot :thumbup

Will - Yeah the C model is much better looking than what us Americans got. Some people may disagree but I wish it came this way from the factory.
  5. jcd1111

jcd1111 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting! I'm looking to do this to my KLR650, and this is the cleanest install yet. I'm thinking about the Trailtech Vapor gauge to clean it up even more: http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

One last question for ya: What is the rear tire you're running, and how well does it perform on dirt? I run about 50/50 pavement and dirt and my straight-up knobbies are getting devoured by the pavement.
  6. Dez

Dez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently running a D606 on the front but I'm not sure whats on the back. I'll check when I get home and let you know. Whatever it is, it's whooped so I picked up a gently used D606 to replace it. Not sure how long the D606 will last but they have received good reviews so we'll see.
  7. Dez

Dez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rear tire on the bike is a IRC Trail Winner GP-110R. Not too impressed with it. There are a bunch of other threads on here on tire selection you should try searching for. It depends alot on the type of riding you are going to do.

On a side note...Can a Moderator change the title of this thread for me?? It was supposed to read "How-to Install...." If not no big deal. It probably took me longer to write up this stupid thread than it did to do the mod with my bike:norton
  8. jimmyx

jimmyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks' Dez for the great tutorial! Everything went as expected. I would reccommend this how-to to anyone looking to do this mod. It was harder to find the parts than to do the swap.

Jimmyx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. xxmaa

xxmaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where do you find the parts (eBay) is the lamp the same , and are the years the same as 650's? Does the lamp look where the wheel does now?I 've been looking for this mod since day one. Thanks!
  10. jimmyx

jimmyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lamp is the same... I have an extra with the adjustment frame(rectangle frame around lamp) if you need it. The light/lamp is adjustable, same as the 650. Parts are available on ebay most of the time although you may have to jump on good price. Also, try craigs' list and forums for someone parting out a 250. I paid $15 for the plastic W/lamp and $25 for the bracket/frame. All the 250 frames and plastic are the same. Give these guys a call and check out the ebay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/billsmcplus

Good luck!

Jim:thumb
  11. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. marking this for future use/reference ..
  12. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this to my KLR back when I had one. Fairly easy and IMO looks much better. I used a piece of Kydex plastic and fabbed an adaptor plate to mount the cluster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. xxmaa

xxmaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim; searched around , and found , it doe's turn with the forks. I hate the wind noise, right in the ears, that little faring(87-07) causes.I know it goes away , when you take it off. Just looks to tacky , even if it is a klr. It's a must do, for me.And I prefer my light to swing right left ,when stopped;like a motorcycle, not a 4 wheeler! .....Ric.:freaky
  14. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    More great jobs fella's.:thumbAnother pic of the mighty C model.Looks like there might be a export market for C faring and light setups

[​IMG]
  15. jimmyx

jimmyx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the kydex plastic fab, looks great Boatman! Bigger al's set up is sweet as well....Alot of creative people here. Anyone know of any fairing/ number plate bags out there?
  16. gotadrnow

gotadrnow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone still around from this thread?..

had a few questions, iv found the bracket, but not the smaller frame around headlight if ya know what i mean i think he said i needed the 250klr headlight frame right...could i make one ya think?

seems a lil tricky but not to hard (for me) haha but the pics at the end where he shows a few views for better pz of mind confuses me, i guess it would be alot easier if i was at that stage...

anyways anyone still around it was like a year ago sinse ppl posted but thought id give it a shot...

i really like what has been done i think it looks GREATTTTT

:clap
  17. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used the headlight from my 650, headlight frame included. Have you tried your stock one yet? If not, give it a go and see how it works.

I've since done yet another headlight swap on my 650, and all of my KLR250 conversion stuff is in a box.