1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

How is the camping so far in Ontario? Busy? Bathrooms? Any info?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by theshnizzle, Jul 14, 2020.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if any of you guys have gone camping in any provincial or private parks in the last few/couple weeks. Are sites available if you are a walk in? Are bathrooms and/or showers available? Are all sites being available or every other site or how are sites being allotted?

Are campgrounds jam packed? Is there poop and toilet paper evidenced anywhere?

Any info on private and public campgrounds is appreciated.
  2. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    As far as provincial, this the best I can give you...it varies as far a availability goes. A friend works at a local one and they have blocked any new reservations for a bit now, but it usually is pretty full in its booking window, as are most here along the Lake Huron shoreline, others here are still offering what slim sites may be left for booking.

As far as packed , most Prov. Parks as mentioned get fairly booked early, so normal traffic levels during a busy summer, no every other site etc at the ones I know, but sites are usually spaced better than private ones.

Poop?, Prov. parks are kept clean, but pigs are everywhere, no issues with that in the ones I know.

Showers and laundry are closed for the season.

Most bathrooms are open, again it varies by park, but it seems that most "vault toilets"(singles) and "comfort station"(multi) are open with enhanced cleaning.

Thats about all I can think of, it isn't one solid rule across all PP, park superintendents have some , but limited discretion on bookings. I dont have much info on private, but the hillbilly seasonal one up the road from me looks wide open, golf carts and beers abound!

Cheers, Todd
  3. MikeRC

MikeRC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am spending the summer in Ontario. Including Awenda, Restoule, Inverhuron & Algonquin Provincial Parks. But my reservations were made back in January/February and I have a trailer to shower in. My experience so far is as above, with the running water available only at the campsite outlets and in the "comfort stations" for toilets and sinks. All shower & laundry facilities are closed in the parks. Rentals are hit-and-miss. Canoe & kayak available but not life jackets. All park programs are still cancelled, museums are still closed (but that may change on Friday with Stage 3 in some regions). Awenda had a horrible caterpillar infestation and the tree canopy is greatly reduced and caterpillars & their digestive tract remnants everywhere. I heard that the gypsy moth problem was very bad in Eastern Ontario & around Pinery. Some walk-ins were able to stay a few nights in Restoule, I heard Killarney may have been closed to tents due to a bear issue.

The individual parks keep their Alerts up-to-date on the Ontario Provincial Park website.

Mike RC
  4. NorOntScout

NorOntScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from fifty point near Hamilton. Most new reservations were blocked until just after July 4 if i remember correctly.

Like mentioned the showers and laundry facilities were locked.

The washrooms were open but only 1 of the 2 stalls were available (in the men's) they blocked every other sink. Yes, they had toilet paper :)

The beaches were very busy. The washrooms at the beach were open. Same thing with blocked sinks and stalls.

The reservation system noted that not all properties were available at this time.

They had all services at the site (water, sewer, hydro) which is not always available at regional and provincial campgrounds.

NorOntScout
  5. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    We went camping a few weeks ago, we just made our own spot, and yes we pooped in the woods! Hey there Shniz :wave
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DyrWolf, Vikingtazz and CDN Rick like this.
  6. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello there RR. :D. Nice spot. Where did you guys find that? I don’t have a dirt bike(or skills ) so I’m on road only.

pooping in the woods can be a magical and fulfilling experience! :lol3
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The rest areas on highway 7 are open again, including the bathrooms.
  8. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    Just returned from Balsam Lake PP, reserved online on Sunday morning for Monday thru Wednesday night. Mountain Biked past the walk-in’s, 3 of the 6 sites were occupied.

Didn’t use the services as I have an RV.

Went online last night and could get 4 nights in Sam Champlain starting Sunday.

Go to Ontario Provincial Park’s online and snoop around the various parks.

John
    gpfan likes this.
  9. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never pre- book anything ever, motel,hotel or campsite. I’m strictly a walk in kinda guy. It goes against my fly by the seat of my pants rule!
    DyrWolf likes this.
  10. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chutes PP has outhouses and central bathrooms open but showers are closed. Masks required in office and all shithouses.

Few pics. Called for rain the morning I was leaving. Set tarp up night before cuz I hate packing in the rain.

Attached Files:

11. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say that masks have always been advisable in PP shithouses :lol3
    DyrWolf, gpfan, EmmEff and 1 other person like this.