How late in the season do you ride?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by steingar, Oct 8, 2021.

1. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Latest ride I've done was on my Goldwing in December I could ride really cold weather with the big windshield on that thing, but laid ff when the snow and ice came. My bike now hasn't a windshield, so I doubt I'll ride past the end of October. What about you?
  2. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year my pillion and I made a point of getting out at least once a month. This was on a naked bike. Our two-up bike now has a big fairing, so we'll probably get out twice a month. The days, they take some picking......
    2up ADV and T-34 like this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    9D3FF239-E9AF-4CCB-86E5-0D7B25F91154.jpeg
    Peanut_Buttery, T-34, Bucho and 2 others like this.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in NY with a heated vest and grips and a fairing - maybe until early December.
    JustinP likes this.
  5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a season?

Seriously even in Amarillo I rode into the low tees, of there wasn't shot or ice on the roads.

Here in Arizona I don't quit riding, and only limit my trips North if snow or ice is on the roads.

For reference, naked bike, no heated gear.

I just ride well prepared.
    ryder1 and T-34 like this.
  6. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Depends on where I'm living at the time.
  7. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Once it's cold enough to freeze water on the road, I'm generally out. I had a terrible encounter with a car wash in one instance and a broken water main in another when it was 20 degrees outside in Michigan. Had nothing to do with precipitation and both could have been grave.
  8. Chaplain

Chaplain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Season?
    Spring - great temps
    Summer - often hot
    Fall - great temps
    Winter - often cold.

The coldest temps I've ridden in (on purpose) was about 17F, layered up, no heated gear, no windshield.
    After I got the BMW with the heated grips and a large wind screen I don't pay attention to the temp so much, unless it's below freezing and there may be ice.
    Central Virginia winters can be warm(ish) or cold. I've been out riding with snow all over the ground, but the roads (mostly) clear and dry.
    I try to get a good ride in at least once a month on all the bikes to keep the battery up, heat cycle the oil, get some fresh gas in, etc. 'cause riding is better time spent than winterizing.
    I don't intentionally ride in snow and ice. But I have had to wash the road salt residue (dry dust) off a bike at the end of a warm(ish) winter day's ride.
    Mrs. Chaplain is a spring-summer-fall pillion. She has done 99F+ in the summer; but, will not get on a bike on a cool (below 55F) day on purpose.
  9. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem with the cold isn't the cold, it's the salt on the roads.

Around my neck of the world, it gets applied like they're trying to rim a margherita glass.
    Fleksta, DKCJ, ragtoplvr and 8 others like this.
  10. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="TripleTriples, post:

Around my neck of the world, it gets applied like they're trying to rim a margherita glass.[/QUOTE]

You drink.your pizza?

Novel idea!
  11. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll usually try for a ride between Xmas and New Year's. Any later than that and there's too much salt accumulation on the road.

A.
  12. DR Donk

DR Donk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Western Michigan I have Thanksgiving day as my yearly goal before putting the bikes up.

But has just been mentioned, the big concern is the ice or threat of it. I was crossing a bridge that has a bit of a curve to it and could feel the tires starting to slide.
  13. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Regular riding for me starts to taper off early December depending on weather forecast (with a 45 mile one-way commute, I don't risk a snow or freezing rain shower in the afternoon). Around the beginning of January I finally make the defeated push of the bike into the barn and plug in the battery tender. By mid March I'm usually chomping at the bit to wheel it back out...even if prematurely.
  14. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
  15. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    December 9th 2020...last ride of the year. Baldwin MI area. Hope to do a repeat this year...
    Ground sometime frozen in the shadows...but overall a great ride to close out year.

grab1139.jpg
    Bucho likes this.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Here in Central Ontario, I'm done either when it snows or the high temperature is going to be below 5C. Yeah, I'm weak.

Snow doesn't bother me per se, but with it comes brine and sand, and the season doesn't start again for me until the latter has been mostly rained off.
    DKCJ likes this.
  17. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    My record on the Suzuki is 15°F (-10°C) ambient, which at 50 mph converts to -10°F (-23°C). I mention speed because I was on a shakedown run after installing my first set of heated grips. I mention Suzuki because the threat of black ice was real that evening, and it began to snow on the return leg. The bike ran just fine (I had partially blocked the oil cooler), but it was plain that I had reached the performance limits of my gear and thus the limits of my endurance. And so that bike gets prepped for annual storage and parked as a matter of necessity.

The Ural is never taken out of service, so to speak. But for draining the 20W-50 and refilling with 5W-40, and monitoring the thermometer (for me, not the machine), the rig and I are ready to deploy as conditions allow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  18. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 7:00. Until they change to the stupid Daylight Wasting Time. Then it will be about 6:00.

JET
    soldierguy likes this.
  19. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in NY. The temp isn't the issue. It's the snow or ice.

I can deal with the cold by dressing for it. I have had poor luck when there is no traction to be had.

By cold, I mean that I have ridden in temps below zero F many times. I've done the ton at below 0 more than once. I've ridden the Midnight Run when the temps were below zero. It's a timed road run that goes from midnight to dawn in NY in the winter. When I had a job, I commuted any time the roads were clear.

What is this "season" you speak of?
  20. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our riding season is just getting started lol, I do ride year round though!
    CaptCapsize and 8lives like this.