How late in the season do you ride?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by steingar, Oct 8, 2021.

1. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In southeastern Pa there are many winters so mild that riding all year is no problem. I don’t winterize my bikes but I keep them full of treated fuel and have 2 battery tenders that are used in rotation. I wash occasionally to get the salt off. The longest I’m off the bike is usually a month or so.
    I’m on a DS so tires can deal with the extra debris, salt, and cinders. I check out the previous nights temps and precipitation in areas I plan on riding. Patches of snow/ice on the road that you can see are no problem but black ice is impossible to distinguish from the road surface. If the road, moisture, and air temps are questionable, I stay off the bike.
    With proper gear, heated grips, bar muffs, and heated insoles winter rides are quite enjoyable. :ricky
  2. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stop riding into work when the morning temperatures drop below 40F. Between it being dark and the possibility of running over some ice, it's just not worth it to me. If I break a finger I can't work....

I do weekend rides until the snow starts to come, which is pretty soon here...
  3. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    They salt the roads really heavy where I live so the bikes get put away when I see the salt trucks come out. It's hard enough on cars and trucks and really raises hell with bikes. The salt brine wicks it way into wiring harness connections and eats up alloy engine cases. I put away the pretty road bikes first and ride out the last remaining days on my old KLR. I try to be the last one done riding in the winter and the first one out in the spring.
    rick danger likes this.
  4. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as there isn't ice, snow or freezing fog/heavy frost I'll ride with temps at 24F. Far too many twist and turns to ice when icy.
    Gear: Jacket and liner (maybe a sweater shirt under), Water proof gloves, Riding pants, fleece neck gaiter. This is all i need for temps into the 30's.
    I add handle bar mittens from 30's down.
  5. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20210121_130909.jpg
    300man, advcoder, davidji and 2 others like this.
  6. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Same for me, I'm in the Denver metro area. In fact, I often find it's easier for me to find a weekend day to ride in the "off season" than it is in Summer. Summer for us is a lot of camping, vacation trips and of course, home/yard maintenance chores. We don't have that stuff in Winter.

I'm sure many people hear "Colorado" and they think of forests and snow covered mountains - they don't think of "desert" but that's what Colorado is - a dry, arid climate. No salt on the roads (they use Mag Chloride but that stuff usually dries up pretty quick) and even if we get a big snow storm, the snow is usually off the paved roads within 3 - 4 days.

I generally will ride my last "mountain" ride in late October or early November. After that, I stick to the Eastern Plains (which also includes the very scenic "Black Forest" area.) But I don't "winterize" my bikes, if it's above 25 degrees and there's no snow or ice on the roads, I'll ride.

Heated gear also makes a big difference.
    Eurotrash-mtrcycl likes this.
  7. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Commute into NYC all year except for maybe 2 or 3 times when we have a snowstorm. Work at hospital so calling out is not an option.
  8. TrackdayBarbie

TrackdayBarbie longtime lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lifelong Mainer, and I salute you sir! November is usually my last ride. Bella then gets tucked in the garage for a long winters nap.

I have no intention of retiring here LOL
  9. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    D2AF937B-B18B-44C5-9B8F-26165A430082.jpeg

I dont ride on the road much anymore. A short backroad/dualsport ride everyonce in a while.

But Ill usually ride offroad all winter as long as there isnt too much snow. I dont love below freezing weather but slow speeds on dirt/trials bikes and riding gnarly enough terrain to sweat…. Its not bad
    300man, DKCJ and Eurotrash-mtrcycl like this.
  10. Dennyf

Dennyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where I live in North Carolina, there are only off days, no off season. I stay out of the snow (and salt), but that doesn't cut into my riding that much .
  11. Huskyfarmer

Huskyfarmer Haymaker

Oddometer:
    I live in northern New York, I get the pavement concerns but when it comes to true off road.....stud up the tires and lets go!!! Winter riding on hard packed snow and ice is an absolute blast. Given the right conditions (recent thaw, now hard packed ice), trail riding is incredible. No roots, rocks, or mud!! I often am laughing in my helmet it is so much fun. So I guess my answer is never stop riding, just swap out those wheels and lets go!!!!
    300man and Bucho like this.
  12. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Texas. The closest I have to an off season it August when it is so hot and humid. We are heading into some of the best riding times of the year now. I also don't mind cold and know how to dress for it, but draw the line at riding in snow and ice.
  13. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    When I moved from Lafayette, Indiana to Indianapolis, a distance of maybe 45 miles southeast in a straight line, the improvement in climate and riding days was actually noticeable. Large cities also tend to affect the local weather via warmer ground temps that divert or disrupt approaching storms.

My commute is seven miles of city streets, so speeds are low and low temps aren't a problem if the roads are dry. I've ridden in falling snow many times, but as many others have noted, ice and packed snow can linger and be extremely dangerous, especially in shady spots. My office is in Broad Ripple, which has a lot of shade from trees and buildings, so it's very slow to thaw.

And yes, salt and de-icer is a problem; I normally wait for a few good hard rains to wash the roads before venturing forth on two wheels.

Anyway, most years I can count on being able to ride to work almost every day between Valentine's Day and Thanksgiving. There are always a few breaks in the weather, so I almost never go a full week driving to work, although some years the ice hangs around for a few weeks at a time in January and early February.

I've gotten out for rides on several Christmases and New Year's Days, and we've had several instances of temps in the 50s or better in December.
  14. Сhestar

Сhestar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    300man, Bucho and SFC_Ren like this.
  15. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    Observe the disciplined use of turn signals.

SFC_Ren and van the man like this.
  16. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Until the next season begins. And on and on...
  17. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Here in Oklahoma, we occasionally get winter stretches where riding isn't possible, but the summer heat is worse and lasts longer. unless you like getting up at 4:00 am and quitting about 9:00. Otherwise, all year round.
  18. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    I have occasionally ridden in each month of a calendar year. Sometimes there wasn’t a choice because we only had one cage and it needed to be with the non-rider. I have good gear without electrics, but it’s really hard to move and I can’t get comfortable when I’m unable to move my head enough to see what’s going on.

Generally I quit when snow sticks for more than a day.
  19. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of these days I need to try studding some MC tires to open up the riding opportunities a bit more during winter. I don't mind riding my little bike with a little bit of snow on the ground but rarely venture out on the big bike in snow and ice except in the spring when itching to get out before the trails have all cleared or occasionally getting caught out in the nastiness unexpectedly.

winter.JPG
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not 25 anymore. It would take me a week of limping around recovering from that. If no other choice I'd do it but voluntary? No.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.