How late in the season do you ride?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by steingar, Oct 8, 2021.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I technically had a choice that day if I wanted to spend it in a motel. I was a long way from home and heading south to get into warmer weather. It's not an environment I would leave a nice cozy house to ride in for sure. And to be honest, in hindsight had I known how nasty it would get heading up over the mountains that were in my way I'd have probably shelled out for another day at the motel. LOL.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not questioning your decision just my thoughts. :D
  3. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you. With longjohns, my jeans, the winter liner in my riding pants, and my ruined back, I'm ready for drugs and a chiro treatment by the time I've thrown my leg over the the seat.
  4. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was 44F today riding in. I should have zipped the vents in the jacket. Nevertheless, a nice ride in.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. I want no part of any of it. I do stretch the normal riding season a bit because my Strom has a windshield and fairing and heated grips - and I wear a heated vest.

This gets me riding in clear 55 degree weather. Below that its just not fun, a big part of riding for me is the association with happy carefree travels and good weather. Judge away, but if its not fun then its not worth the risk, to me.
    DKCJ and bearcat1 like this.
  6. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    44 on the way in this morning.

That seems to be how it goes here. It's hot until one day it's cold. And then it stays that way for months.
    HuntWhenever and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    This. Everybody is entitled to their own jam, but I'm with you. Motorcycles are for joy. More than enough stuff to overcome off the bike.
    DKCJ and Sal Pairadice like this.
  8. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in Texas also. No end to the riding season here. Many times riding in the winter here is more pleasant than the summer.
    My only rule is
    I will ride in the wet
    I will ride in the cold
    But I will not ride in the wet and cold.
    The biggest deal for me to enjoy cold riding is getting my hands out of the air flow. I am having a harder time with that on my Harley. I would try heated grips, but I have never used them, and worry they would still not be very useful if they are in the airflow.
    14de g.JPG
    frost.JPG
  9. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am fixing to head to SW Florida in two weeks as it is starting to get too cold here in the mountains of Western North Carolina for my candy ass.

20211017_122215.jpg
    DR Donk and PeterTrocewicz like this.
  10. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    We all have our individual preferences. Just know that the "joy" of motorcycling doesn't stop after the mercury dips below your personal threshold. :thumb

Sans handguards to redirect airflow, heated grips are functionally palm warmers. This effect is magnified as the temperature drops. Sans decent gloves to compensate for the blast of cold on your fingers and back of your hands, it's going to get uncomfortable.

I install the Blizzards on the Ural as a seasonal accessory. They bridge the gap between regular handguards, such as what we'd see on a dual sport, and gauntlet-style fitments. I don't like the restrictive feel that the latter forces on the rider, so the Blizzards are an acceptable compromise. The Ural's heated grips become that much more effective with them in place. Money well spent in both instances.
    DKCJ and Big John Sny like this.
  11. SmithSwede

SmithSwede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is this “season” you speak of? This Texas guy rides all year, the one exception being real ice.

Get yourself some thick Moreno wools, upper and lower. Thick silk scarf. And an electric vest. Opens up a whole new world where cold weather riding is actually fun, or at least ok.
  12. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    I don't ride when there's ice on the secondary roads as they are too unpredictable. Other than that, I'll ride in any condition and temperature. I've ridden down into the mid teens (-10c) and was comfortable for over an hour at speed. With heated gloves and pants.
  13. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    44°F this morning as well. Time to hang up the Olympia AG5 and bring out the Olympia Richmond.
  14. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    I will say (after another brisk morning commute at 42f) that all the other bikes I see out riding in the cold seem to wave, regardless of bike type. Maybe a mutual respect forged in suffering? Maybe the cold went to their heads? Even the Harley guys wave! :imaposer
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suffering at 42°F? What are you going to do when it gets cold?
  16. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Ignore. Have my panties in a knot. :imaposer
  17. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn.
    No offense intended. No one said anyone is a bitch. If I had meant that I would have said so.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  18. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    No hard feelings. I'm a bit on edge today. Work nonsense. I need to be less sensitive. :imaposer

In fact, I need another cup of coffee.
  19. Сhestar

Сhestar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSC_0015.JPG

-5 С ,350 kilometers:jkam
  20. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noticed the cold weather wave, too. IMHO, winter riders are in it for the sheer joy of riding, not for being seen or ...whatever. Not implying anything about those who choose to draw the line at a higher temperature, just that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of who's friendly and who's...not.

I rode several miles in an unexpected snowstorm down a highway on a Vespa GTS 300 side by side with a loaded-up Harley that had come down the entrance ramp as I was passing. We kept trading grins and such as if to say, "you're just as nuts as I am...hell yes!"

If the temperature is above 65F, most Harley riders pretend I don't exist, both now on the Bonnie but ESPECIALLY on the Vespa.

For lower temps, if I can get my fingers and toes sorted, I'm generally golden. Those are the weak spots.