How late in the season do you ride?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by steingar, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some sort of hand guard is a must. You need to block the wind from the gloves.
    A good glove is a must as well. Or handle bar mittens. Practice before you ride with them.
    Heated grips will keep the feeling in your fingers while the back of your hand freezes.
    Heated grips are nice but, often you'll need more than just grips.

And a balmy 50F today.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the feet and frostbite. mine hurt
  3. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the cool thing on the Road King, just a 5 min search on Craigslist and I had a set of color matched lowers with quick disconnects for 90 bucks. I love the used accessory market for this thing.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  4. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just sold my Model Y, with the plan to ride year round here in NC. I’ve done it in the past, without heated gear. This year, I ordered a heated liner & gloves.

Unless it’s snowing, or raining in very low temps. I’m fairly content with cold riding.
  5. BaddAndy

BaddAndy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the T7 to work today. 41° with grip heaters and heated gloves on. Forgot to put my vest on, but didn't get cold. I ride all year long as long as it's dry roads. The JK is driven for everything else.
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    The heated grips on my RT (and the many other bikes I have installed them on) work well. Once you've had a bike with them, you'll never want to go back. It's amazing how putting a little heat into your hands can make so much difference.
    DKCJ likes this.
  7. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Here in east central Wisconsin, I'll ride into December as long as the roads are dry and clean. Heated gear, heated grips and heated seat is a huge help, FF helmet, fairing/windshield large enough to deflect most of the frosty 60 mph+ wind blast. Once the snow stays and ice can form on the roads its no time for riding. Also depends on the moisture in the air and potential for frost/freezing on the freeway overpasses.

This time of year is also harvest time, so the far equipment is in the fields and messing up the roads, and flushing deer out of the woods. I did a brief 135 mile ride today from 4pm to about 6:30, twice I had two pair of deer cross the road in front me, one pair crossing the road and another pair started crossing but turned back. Within ten more miles I saw a herd of 10 deer standing in an open field a few hundred feet off the road. Time to stick to the main roads and get back home.
  8. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah its funny. I used make fun of riders who would complain about their bike not having heated grips. Then I bought a bike thad had them as standard equipment. Now I would not want a bike that did not have them.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use heated gloves typically starting in December. The Tuono has heated drips and I have a set for the Road King just haven't gotten them installed. Not sure I will. The heated gloves I have are some old Widder and they are very effective. I buy cold weather gloves a size or two larger than normal. Nice and loose keeps my hands warmer.
    Eurotrash-mtrcycl likes this.
  10. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I use these for downhill skiing; Swany, https://www.swanyamerica.com/?s=toaster&submitbtn=

I was skiing at Blackcomb in Vancouver and forgot my good (what I thought were good) ski gloves. I bought a pair of Swany Toasters at a ski shiop (something I would never otherwise do) and they were worth every single penny! The polypropelene inner glove combined with the mitt kept my hands very warm and comfortable with no hand warmer packs in them. Since then I've used them for cold weather cycle rides and they work great, especially if your bike has a fairing.
  11. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in NC? Year-round. Though I avoid the rain and bad weather when its cold.
  12. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    I've said before that heated grips should be standard fitments on all street motorcycles.

If BMW can get it right, why can't, for example, Harley-Davidson?

If I can safely power heated grips and a GPS on a modestly-statored DR650, I don't want to hear any wailing and gnashing of teeth from the OEMs on the subject.
    DKCJ likes this.
  13. ElvisOrangutan

ElvisOrangutan n00b

Oddometer:
    In WI, I stay out up until the first salting of the road, usually happens mid-November I think, and I'm back once we get a few solid rains in March/April. I ACF-50 the bikes 1-2x per year, but still, paranoid about rust. Daylight savings and less sunlight put a damper on long rides too.

One Sunday in mid-April we'd unusually had enough rain to clear the salt, and I took my MTS with Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves 100 miles to visit family, all on the highway at 70+ mph, 17 degrees when I set off in the morning. A bit too desperate to get out for a first ride. Maybe reached 36 as a high that day and just below that on my way back. Full blast on heated gear the whole time, and that barely kept up with the wind chill. Legs and feet were done for by the end. Just frostnip it seemed, no frostbite but as close to it as I want to ever get again. Feet and legs have been made more sensitive to the cold ever since. Weight loss since that time probably contributes to the sensitivity. Added heated insoles and pant liner since then, which I need now while in the 40's and below.

Bragging rights are fun to have but I could pass on the nerve damage!

I have seen a WR250R rider multiple times in the thick of winter, riding in Madison, WI city traffic, on occasions just a few days post-snowfall, plenty of if not mostly snow patches still on the road... balls!

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...
    tomcfitz likes this.
  14. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if this has been brought up without digging back through, but I've noticed some definite thresholds in temperature and windchill. The first is around 55F, then again at 40, at the freezing point, and then again when you drop below 20F. My lowest is 9F, so I don't know if there's a 0F threshold, but I'd bet there is.

By threshold, I mean that the rules change. Things like heat, windscreens, hand guards stop being optional & how you approach layering starts getting critical AND technical. You have to adjust your approach or it's GOING to bite you in the ass...or fingers, nose, & toes. Most unheated "winter" gear (IMHO) isn't designed with going below 40F in mind. The companies assume most riders have packed it in. Below freezing pretty much requires a heat source for anything more than single digit mileage & below 20F requires heat to get wheels moving.

My $0.02; YMMV
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  15. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends. I've ridden in December, but it's rare. Usually near Thanksgiving, I'm done. Once it's cold enough for water to freeze, salted roads usually follow and then I'm out. Winter gives me a chance to re-charge anyway.
  16. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    I generally ride until they start putting salt down. But I have ridden to Daytona Bike Week in March about 8 times. Planning on going again this year.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    It can vary six weeks here. Still out on decent afternoons following morning frost.

One year we rode to Jasper on the November 11th holiday in decent weather but winter arrived in the night. The return trip was pucker up time. Snow on the ground and slush on highway shoulders. I counted 11 bridges between Jasper and the park gate. That was because they were iced up with freezing slush and after the first one almost sideways screaming in terror, the others with outrigger feet down at a near walking pace. It was a long day.

I’ve seen -30c at Halloween so it can be all over the place.
    Carlito likes this.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    Yep. Mentioned already. :-)
  19. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Year 'round, why'd ya even ask?
  20. cnmjr123

cnmjr123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode last year 'round while commuting as an experiment. I layered up pretty well and didnt need heated gear until around the freezing point. Some cheapo battery powered headed gloves made it bearable down in the high teens. Some good lessons learned.

I'm waiting on a set of hippo hands and I'm thinking about the warm & safe heated jacket liner and gloves.