How late in the season do you ride?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by steingar, Oct 8, 2021.

1. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    When I lived in southern Indiana, I rode every month of the year, though not all months of all years. Then one year I headed out and looked at the snow in the fields to my left, and the snow to my right, and asked myself WTF I was doing and turned around. Never went out with snow on the ground again.

These days in SE Michigan, my bikes are back in storage by the end of October. Once the ground has frozen/slippery it's hard to get them put away because it involves gooing down, across, and up a hill to get where I want to be. If it snows moving them just isn't' gogin to happen, so I error on the safe side. Keeping them int he garage means parking on the driveway. I HATE scraping windowns and cleaning snow off cars. I have a garage. I park my daily driver in it during the winter.

Even during the months I do ride, if it's below 50 degrees I stay home or drive. Used to be 40 degrees. I'm older now.
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something I figured out many years ago is that riding gear simply isn't up to challenging weather conditions because it usually isn't designed for it in the first place. Even gear that is designed for foul weather typically isn't meant for wet weather close to, or below freezing.

For staying warm, and dry I've turned to military surplus, commercial fishing, and some outdoor gear as it's robust, comfortable, and affordable. Working outdoors as a terminal hostler, my commute is often the warmest, dryest part of my day.
    neanderthal and Cheshire like this.
  3. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    You used a word that I actually had to look up. Whoduh thunk it?

"What does a hostler driver do?
    As a yard hostler, you move trailers and shipping containers around a construction yard. Your responsibilities include transporting empty and full trailers and containers in and out of dock doors..."

Interestingly, the word hostler, used in isolation, means "a man employed to look after the horses of people staying at an inn."
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The abridged version, Tetris with trucks.
    neanderthal and Tmaximusv like this.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I'm spoiled here in the foothills of California. There can be snow on the mountain mid winter, and we will have good riding days periodically year round. It is not uncommon to have dry days with 45-55 F every week. Sometimes it will be dry and 32 F. I just wear more clothes. (I don't own heated gear.)

I have ridden in the snow on my 3-wheelers and on snowy roads on my old XL185 dual sport. I wouldn't try it on my 400+ lb Aprilia, though.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful afternoon out yesterday. By all accounts, it looks like tomorrow afternoon is the last ride. ☹️
  7. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Teasing the thin line between lost and exploring

Oddometer:
    Year round for me.

Summer "riding season" is ruined by tourist, fire forest closures, and involuntary overtime.

IMG_0284.jpeg IMG_0283.jpeg
    300man and SFC_Ren like this.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    many ton falling rocks are making it dangerous for me. Also 30 wheel possum chip trucks with my name on them, D Jones Trucking
  9. Mrstig

Mrstig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late summer is the season I cant ride. Fire danger, dust, and tourists ruin it. Winter it rains a ton where I live. But I gear up and ride one or two days a month just to get the crazy out if my system and have some fun. Keeps my fuel fresh and keeps muscles from getting too soft. If I lived in the snow I would get a snowbike.
    jacktwitch likes this.
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I was going to ride in this morning, but I thought the bike wouldn't start because of cold and inactivity. Sadly, I was mistaken, but by then it was too late. Won't make that mistake again!
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Did a Street Skills class this weekend at Road America, 60 minutes north of Milwaukee. Only had four students each day, sunny high of 52 Saturday and cloudy high of 52 Sunday. Low 30's for the ride down from Green Bay in the morning. I might get a few rides in yet into November, clean roads permitting. I just put on the heated gear, and think of it as really worm snowmobile weather (frame of mind thing).
  12. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're getting into the season when the bike starts spending more days in the garage. I don't mind riding in high wind. I don't mind riding in single digit temperatures. I don't mind riding in rain. I don't really even mind any combination of 2. But when all 3 combine, particulary with a cold North wind, I'll take the car.
  13. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    I started driving am school bus again so my commute on motorcycle got sidelined (545 am departures don’t go well at 32 degrees).

Led a two bike and three car outing yesterday morning. Ride out wasn’t terrible but the wind was building mightily. The 80 mile ride home was miserable. Every cut had the wind change direction 180 degrees so my lean into the wind was suddenly wrong. Then when I met a truck, the blast threw me all over the lane. :zilla

All that said, I think I will be parking the two wheeler for the season and still need to retrieve the sidecar rig from the shop.

Sigh.
  14. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride until the road salt starts to be thrown around in the central Michigan area. I don't usually start in the spring until the road salt has had a chance to wash off the road.

As I get older, I'm really desiring a bike with a lot more wind protection than the mighty KLR offers, especially for the lower body.
  15. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. First lasting snow here is usually early December, and they don’t skimp on the salt. Last winter, though, I was riding well into January.
    the_sandman_454 likes this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode to bike night last night because it was the 8th anniversary of our Two Stroke Tuesday. 50 degrees going there, 42 coming home...yeah, it was a bit chilly. Didn't help that I rode the Ducati:D
    RedDogAlberta and AdventureTrail like this.
  17. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    A little brisk this morning.
    7C4DE73E-7AA1-4029-B023-293F084C14EC.jpeg
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Izzat the weather on the right side; sunny with snow? :lol3
    the_sandman_454 likes this.
  19. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Not quite, but probably not too far off
  20. Tall Man

Tall Man Privileged.

Oddometer:
    We get sun concurrent with snow, on occasion.

Some of the brightest, sunniest days in Winter here usually occur the day(s) immediately following heavy precipitation. As the photo illustrates. Our average snowfall for the entire season is 30". On a January day a few years ago, that quantity fell in a 24 hour period.

I like what all four seasons can bring, but even my patience was tested when that weather front passed through.

[​IMG]