How Long Does It Take To Get The Gobi Bags?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Desmofan, May 20, 2004.

1. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought the 950 a month ago, just curious how long folks have waited for the free :deal luggage?
  2. Singletrack

Singletrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got mine yesterday. The dealer registered the bike with KTM on April 1, so that makes it about 7 weeks of waiting.

Came in two large boxes by FedEx ground, one with both bags, and one with the mounting hardware. That's the sort of stuff I want to see under the tree at Christmas :thumb

I'll install the mounts, but I'll stick with the top case only for my urban communting. The bags do look cool though.
  3. eskimo

eskimo gunga-galunga

Oddometer:
    It took 6 or 7 weeks for them to arrive. They work well except they're a bit wide and make the bike a bit shakey above 80 mph. The mounts are a snap to install.
  4. ltrcman

ltrcman Dan

Oddometer:
    After 8 weeks of waiting for mine I gave KTM USA customer service a call. Glad I did, gal checked my VIN # in the computer and told me mine had been " over looked", so now I'm back to square one.

You might want to give them a call if they don't show up after 6 or 7 weeks.
  5. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    I got you all beat; bought the 950 on April 17th, 2 big boxes with racks & cases were at my doorstep on May 7th...:thumb
  6. joe riddle

joe riddle riddler

Oddometer:
    I've had my bike 7 weeks and hadn't got my bags so called KTM yesterday to find out why and when and found out the dealer hadn't reported the bike sold. Wasn't too happy but dealer faxed info to KTM so hope to have them soon. I would suggest if you buy, call KTM customer service in a couple of weeks to confirm dealer has registered your bike.
  7. johnridetour

johnridetour n00b

Oddometer:
    This does not bode well for long term support from KTM.

I've been waiting several weeks for my bags also.

Is it difficult to ship bags that we have already paid for and should have been anticipated with bike sales? A new KTM is not an inexpensive purchase.

There's nothing wrong my dealer (Malcom Smith) but they have no idea when the bags will arrive.

My ability to order and promptly receive anything for a current production BMW may have raised my expectations too high.

Update.. I spoke with KTM in Ohio. I was told that they think they're delivering most of the bags promptly. The bags are shipped based on VIN numbers sent in by the dealers. It sounds as if the VIN number for my 950 made it to KTM and then got lost. They promised to issue shipping documents immediately.
  8. mchaskell

mchaskell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived on May 24; I purchased the bike April 19.
  9. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be resurrecting a mouldy old thread, but I just received my free bags (bought the bike at the end of March) and like them, they look great to me and seem sturdy and practical. The mount was simple to install, even for a non-wrencher like myself, and the bags attach to the mount very easily and yet securely. I am favorably impressed so far. My question is that the instruction sheets made mention of a water tap. It referred to this as an accessory, and I didn't find one anywhere. Is this an extra-cost option? Not really sure I'd ever even need to use that feature, just wondering.
  10. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are a KTM extra, the same petcocks as the gas tanks. The luggage hooks mentioned are also available, with some sort of cryptic directions for mounting. I think my dealer keeps both in stock. On a side note, my bags arrived last night :thumb (I started this thread), for a total wait of 6 weeks, not too bad. Sadly, one of the mounting frame's paint was chipped in shipping :baldy , but as I expect it would be another 6 weeks to return it, I live with it and touch up.
  11. AdvSkier

AdvSkier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the rediculous prices BMW gets I am sure they do ship their products fast. KTM is just making a transition from dirt bikes to street, and I would bet that when enough ex-BMW riders make the transition to superior bikes , KTM will be made aware of the need to stock and ship parts promptly. Let's just hope they aren't educated about the prices some people are willing to pay.
  12. EricFoerster

EricFoerster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono :nono
  13. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my bike on May 8 and recieved my bags yesterday!
  14. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought mine April 26th and got them yesterday. They look cheaper than I expected. The glued together halves don't inspire me in terms of crash survivability.
  15. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,

Did your set come with the "Wide Load" decal, :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  16. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are they that wide??? I haven't put them on yet. What's this out of work shite???? Does that mean you're going to Ouray? Hope it's temporary.
  17. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    I don't think they are any wider than BMW system cases on a GS. But the GS also has the width of the jugs to match. The 950 is so sleek and narrow up front that the Gobi's look a little out of balance.

AAAHHH screw it! It's an adventure bike, function over fashion. :umph

Ouray is still a long shot at this time because I still have a job. I hope?? :lol3
  18. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I think I hold the record for length of time to get my bags. I took delivery of my bike on March 20 although didn't conclude all of the paperwork at the dealership until the end of the month....they were really decent to trust me that way.....and my bags arrived on June 10. They are wide, but I don't think they're any wider than similar bags on other 'adventure' bikes, or many touring outfits. And the quality seems pretty good to me, I like the locking mechanisms and the way they mount to the frame which also seems surprisingly solid. I personally don't care for the extreme, sharp, boxy look of the aluminum bags, plus wonder what those sharp corners might/could potentially do to a guy in the event of a lay-down.....ouch!
  19. tools

tools Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the bike April 27 and the bags arrived this week. Everyone's bags must have come over on the same rowboat.
  20. redster

redster GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oddometer:
    What's the contact number for KTM USA customer service?It's been almost two months since I got the bike and no bags as weel for me.So I need to call as recomended.I might need to use thos bags soon.

Redster