How many days should I plan to ride from Anchorage to Inuvik and back?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by 4corners14, Mar 2, 2018.

1. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've determined it's about a 2,000 mile loop....right? I'm also curious to know what the highlights of the route are and what we should make time for? We're all (4) experienced riders on 990's....and 1 GSA....What do you suggest?
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest 8 days. Four to Inuvike and four back. Camp in Tok at Vanessa's on the way to Dawson. Overnight in Dawson, then two days up and two days back. It is doable Anchorage to Inuvik in 2 days, but that would be perfect weather. So budget 8 for shitty weather, if do it less bonus days.
  3. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! We're scheduled for mid-July....anything I need to know for that time of year? Rain or Mosquito's? Recommendations on places to stay in Dawson or Inuvik? We normally camp for 2 weeks at a time off the bikes, but were hoping to travel lighter on this trip.....even though we will have a large tent and large mosquito tent with us if all the rooms are full whenever we get to a town. It's pretty hard to book a room when you don't know what day you're going to get there....or is there some kind of process for that? I have the 2018 Milepost headed my way, but I'd much rather hear it from a local Inmate! Thanks again!
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the Dempster right after D2D 2013 and sunny dry weather the whole way averaging about 65mph. Could have done it in two days there and back, but took three. If it is rainy, it is a muddy mess. Eagle Plains and Inuvik both have hotel rooms. We camped at Ft Mcpherson up and Eagle Plains on the way down with lunch in Inuvik. Ft McPherson has blue laws, so gas not available until noon or 1300 on Sunday. That delayed us a few hours.
  5. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    i live in fairbanks. try every other year since retirement. i watch weather and takeoff after first two/three below freezing nights ... mosquitos can be horrendous. my favorite northern landscape ride. Dawson to Inuvik in three days ... just ride ironbutt ... not fun even in perfect weather. normally take eight days ... stop camp fish explore and enjoy the moments ... and life in general. two trips turned back ... too much bad wet weather ... don't be afraid too just say no mas. The road absolutely eats tires especially after road grading ... count on flat tires at the wrong time ... dig deep and just seize the day. road my 81 r80gs Dakar ... took a solid week of careful take apart cleaning after very wet trip. rest of time took dr650 ... and didn't look back ... they are very near bulletproof.
    keith in alaska likes this.