How many Liters do I need?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by zekd, May 19, 2020.

1. zekd

zekd Based in Austin, Texas.

Oddometer:
    Planning my first trip and I'm trying to get a good estimate on the Liters needed for my soft bags. I will be hammock camping with an ultra light Kammock, all in one setup. That can easily fit into a 6L pack bag, so my shelter is all set.

I will be riding for 5 days, not packing much food as I will eat out. I will have a few freeze dried meals just for the mornings I am at a campsite.

Right now I have about 30L of storage between my luggage bags & backpack.

My question is, how many Liters do you normal have on your bike for all your stuff when traveling for a week long trip?
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    zekd likes this.
  3. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are too many variables in your question to really answer.
    Best to get your gear together, then get the right sized bags for it.
    Typically people pack too much their first times out, so take that into consideration.
    Other than a tent and sleeping pads (which you're not using) the next most bulky items are sleeping bags, warm jackets, rain gear, walking shoes, and stoves/pots.
    Strong Bad and zekd like this.
  4. zekd

Oddometer:
    Haha - I will check that thread out.

Agreed - I'll be riding in July from Texas to Georgia, so I'm not worried about staying warm, I'll just be bringing my sandals with me and one stanley cook set.
  5. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I camp out of a single duffle bag (12"x12"x20") on the seat and a tankbag for incidentals. Forget the backpack if possible, get the weight on the bike.
    GsGrins, zekd and Vistavette like this.
  6. ADV Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a portable air conditioner then? haha
    If you don't already have a cookset & burner, consider getting a JetBoil if you're not actually going to cook (that is, you're just heating water for dehydrated food and coffee). They're pricey but boil super fast and use hardly any gas. Good investment if you intend to camp a lot.
    zekd likes this.
  7. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As c_m_shooter said, ditch the backpack. You don't want to travel with that on your back. Way too fatiguing, and you won't even realize that is what is doing it. Maybe for a hydration bladder (Camelback, Platypus) but that is it. You especially don't want it on your back if you have a get-off.
    zekd likes this.
  8. Turumarth

Turumarth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a backpack, just don't put heavy stuff in it.

My Kriega is much more comfortable to wear than a camelbak, so I just throw a couple of litres of water in the backpack, along with my rain gear.
    zekd likes this.
  9. zekd

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I have.the Kriega Trail 9. Basically a hydration pack with a 9L waterproof bag. I plan on keeping the rain gear in there also.
  10. c_m_shooter

Oddometer:
    You can pack the raingear at the bottom of your gear. In July rain will be a welcome relief from the heat.
  11. tlub

Oddometer:
    The things wrong with a backpack?
    As I said, fatigue. Plus you don't want that thing levering you around in an accident. It puts weight at a high cg. You really don't want anything attached to you that can do that. Plus it's an impervious barrier that will have your back sweating like a pig. It's just not a good idea. Get a decent tank bag. Put your every day stuff in there, including water, camera, etc. Don't overfill it. It also makes a halfway decent fairing or windshield.
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everyone’s “needs” are different. What you “need” to be comfortable just won’t be the same as other people. For that reason alone what you need will pack differently due to the type of materials you choose to wear. On my longer trips I bring enough to get me through 4 days and on every 4th day I will plan on doing laundry. I use large ziplock bags and sort and use a different bag for underwear, shirts and socks. As I pack I’ll sit on the bag and push out all the air out of the bag so the volume is greatly reduced with some items. Another ziplock for dirty laundry keeps the clean stuff from getting skanky.

Before every big trip, I always do at least one overnight “functions test” to get my setup dialed in.
    tlub likes this.
  13. ADV Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I stole this idea from Forty Times Around (YouTuber).
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R3WT1C/
    The medium sizes work really well in BMW panniers and you can just pull them out and throw them in your tent. I roll all my clothes and zip them up in the cubes.
    The "variety pack" (one of the color selections on the far right) comes with some small cubes and a laundry bag. I use the small ones to keep loose miscellaneous stuff organized (bug spray, laundry line, etc).
    Lost-Again and Effendi like this.
  14. JustNick

JustNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done a long trip on the bike yet, but I have 2 27L saddle bags, and 2 15L dry bags I can strap on top, if I need them. I figure I get by with a 65L pack when I backpack, with a little room to spare, so I should be totally fine with 54L, plus extra if I really need it. Probably put the tent in one of the 15L dry bags, and my sleeping bag in the other. That'll leave my saddle bags open for everything else.
  15. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree about loading the bike, UNLESS all the riding will be easy terrain. Keeping the bike as light as possible by loading more on yourself is the way to go if anything technical is on the menu.
  16. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It never gets easier, you just get faster

Oddometer:
    timely thread!!

this morning my wife and I are heading out on our first multi-day Moto camping trip! heading to Sequoia National Park for some hot BLM action.

I've discovered there's a lot of crossover gear from my backpacking days, as i only really needed to buy some rokstraps, and a new tent.

this is my basic setup, I've tweaked it a little bit, but this is the idea. I plan to improve the stuff sack situation on the next trip as I would like side stuff sacks bags strapped on a little bettet....but they will be fine for this run.

in the red sack is a king sized down comforter.
    in the green sack is the Big Agnes 4 person tent (new), which has been moved to the wifes Moto Guzzi.
    the black stuff sack on the side is the REI "Kingdom" queen size blow-up mattress!! if I'm going to seduce my wife into moto travel, she has to have her Queen Treatment!

I was against getting a tank bag, as I like the look of the bike without it.... I can find one that looks good go for it on the next trip!

here go!

20200523_171721.jpg 20200523_171733.jpg 20200523_171801.jpg Resized_20200523_171808.jpg Resized_20200523_171827.jpg Resized_20200523_171919.jpg Resized_20200523_171849.jpg 20200523_121149.jpg
    zekd likes this.
  17. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many gallons of water are those draw string bags rated to hold?
  18. tlub

Oddometer:
    Offroad, perhaps. I assumed since he said he was eating out, this was not an off-road trip. OP?
  19. c_m_shooter

Oddometer:
    He's riding from Austin TX to TN, NC and Ga. He posted maps showing paved roads.
    tlub likes this.
  20. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Maybe they will be and maybe they won't.

I wouldn't trust those bags to stay on. It looks like they could worm their way free. Chains and wheels and things spinning around don't mix well with loose items- often leads to instant crash.

If it were me, I'd double up on those straps.

.........shu