How many Liters do I need?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by zekd, May 19, 2020.

1. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My stock boxes are 37 and 45 liters, offset for the exhaust. I can get all my tools, kitchen (fire prep/stoves/food and prep), house (hammock setup), clothing and other gear (including a small table and chair) into those boxes with optional fishing gear, a kite to fly and my toiletries in the lid mesh netting. My soft bags are 25L each and I can run a 30L or 40L tail bag if needed. I'm enjoying playing with the weight and balance of the gear and seeing how much I need and how small I can pack it all. Sometimes if I can't sleep at night I just unpack, sort through and repack to see if I can do it better. I'm loving how backpacking translates to this process.
  2. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It never gets easier, you just get faster

Oddometer:
    550+ miles of epic, twisty, rough (some dirt), backcountry , highcountry roads/single-track and freeways roads up to, around and back from Southern sierras/sequoia national park, every kinda road, all speeds and conditions....consistent 80mph (top speed ~100mph) on straights....flawless, rokstraps, damn good packing the whole journey, nothing moved at all....would do it again without question, but I do want something more "aero"
  3. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has not been my experience, though I'm no expert. Tight to the bike, compact, and light, low and ahead of the rear axle, minimal on the body. That's how I like to roll.

2x15L dry bags on the sides, a small tail bag (I think about 8L), and a hydration fanny pack.
    Effendi, Adanac rider and Mumbles24 like this.
  4. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @PNWet that volume of gear load, 38L, how long of an outing does that support? I'm always looking for ways to pare down what I backpack or bikepack with and want to do the same on the motorcycle. I'm thinking that I like your approach of stuff low and tight to the bike and not on me, keeping me cooler and more comfortable.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regardless of how large your panniers/tail bag are, get yourself some compression stuff sacks for putting much of your stuff into before it goes into the bigger bags.

I use two 10L compression dry bags normally: one holds my down bag and compresses down to about 5L, the other holds almost all of my clothing and compresses down to about 8L. If I am likely to encounter freezing temps for more than a day or two, I have one more 10L compression dry bag for the cold weather gear and it compresses down to about 8L.

I use compression dry bags instead of just compression stuff sacks so I don't worry if water gets into my bags while I'm packing/unpacking. My survival gear stays dry and sealed until it goes into my tent.
  6. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's with no food, though the tail bag has some room.

I've tried to take ideas promulgated by Joe Motocross, and apply them to my own set up. I'm not as extreme as him, but I like the ideas.
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  7. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. That's about how I roll- 2x18L soft bags and a partially filled 30L top bag for very light puffy stuff. Trying to get that lower still.
  8. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    right on!

yep....im the ziplock QUEEN!!!

until now (covid) i used "ziplock" bags exclusively....however the other day I stopped into smart n final to pickup my gallon and quart sized "ziplock" bags and they were totally out.....however they did have plenty of store brand resealable bags, so I picked up a box of each, with the closer tab of course....and the "freezer" model (the plastic is a little thicker)....and they worked great at half the price of name brand! SCORE ONE FOR COVID SHOPPING!!!!

"ziplock" bags for traveling....champion.
  9. zekd

zekd Based in Austin, Texas.

Oddometer:
    Got 34L. I think that should be enough.

C8BA8285-7C23-4BA4-8933-7C675BE6ED54.jpeg 0954D467-F9CD-40B4-97F6-E6B4D3520455.jpeg EC519231-5EFE-4591-BE69-03FB762F4D6E.jpeg A0E9EAFF-4F46-42B9-9C6F-33A92BFA09FC.jpeg
    Adanac rider and tlub like this.
  10. jbkrab

jbkrab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something I have been doing for about 10 years. I will place all my clothing in vacuum bags. I bring a hand vacuum to help remove as much air as possible. I've been doing this with my rain gear, as it can be bulky and takes up a lot of storage space. The amount of space freed up is amazing. Even overnight trips I'll do this. I am prepping for a TAT ride next summer, as I get my gear in (replacing 40 year old camping stuff with new backpacking gear) I'll be playing around with proper packing. Problem with the TAT ride is needing to pack for all seasons and weather conditions.
    zekd likes this.
  11. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats all I need for week long trips, light gear, camp every night. I refuse to use hard cases and anything with welds as sooner or later they break on me. But im in the bush 90% of the time on adventures.
    cheers. 20200528_163420.jpg
  12. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    so after years of car camping with the REI queen size "Kingdom" inflatable mattress (it came with a BIG pump, but really needs a power inflator do to the size of the hand pump) couple that atop and a king size down comforter, that was our sleeping setup .....so we decided to upgrade our system.

after thought and some research i went with the Big Agnes Dream Island 15 (double bag),

https://www.bigagnes.com/Dream-Island-15

and two separate Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Deluxe
    matresses (wide/long) that fit inside the bag, designed as a system....

https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-Deluxe_2

The double sleeping bag being synthetic is pretty bulky but it compresses down pretty small with this

https://www.bigagnes.com/Superlight-Girdle

Even though it compresses small it would still take up a chunk of room in panniers and/or the Andy Strapz 18L duffel up top....i love this bag, use it for other traveling needs besides moto.

https://www.andystrapz.com/product/aa-bag

so what I decided to do is repurpose a dry bag from one of our boating trips to Kapa'a HI on the Nā Pali coast....i hand roll and lightly compress the dry bag with the sleeping bag inside, then i use the Big Agnes "girdle" strap compressor to compress to a firmness and size that will strap to the bike nicely, then i slide the whole thing into the stuff sack that came with the sleeping bag ... enjoy the pix!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    next pic....

20200606_103321.jpg
  14. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    next pic... 20200606_103433.jpg
  15. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    next pic... 20200606_103306.jpg
  16. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    next pic...this bag/pad setup looks small.....but im 6'5" and its longer than me, a first.

20200605_182925.jpg
  17. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    next pic... 20200605_182955.jpg