How many of y'all run Rotella oil in your thumper?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by scootertrash, Sep 27, 2005.

1. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    I keep hearing about this trucking marketed oil on the various m/c forums. Just wondering what thumper riders think about it? thanks! :)
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Just can't figure why an oil intended for low revving large displacement diesels, where a major consideration must be long mileage between oil changes, would be good for a small displacement high revving motorcycle engine that people change the oil on every couple of thousand (or even several hundred) miles.
  3. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because it has better detergents than regular cage oil, it comes in the viscosities we need, it doesn't have friction modifiers that could hurt our clutches etc. It is an excellent oil imo and a good fit for motorcycle use. I don't see how you could be upset over the "low" engine rpm. These diesels also use high pressure oil to power the injectors (over 16k psi) which requires that the oil be very non-foaming and the engine oil lubs the turbo's which turn ~70k rpm. Anyway, there are plenty of technical articles describing the exact characteristics of different oils and requirements of different machines. It happens that Diesel trucks and motorcycles require much the same oil. I don't have a thumper, but have been running the Rotella synthetic oil in both my street bikes and my truck for some time with no issues at all. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  4. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    because, IIRC, it meets SJ requirements, which is pretty much what all motorcycle specific oil meets. I almost bought some the other day, but used some other stuff I had on hand.
  5. Kingsqueak

Kingsqueak Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The reason is that the pressures and conditions common to diesel engines are similar when you consider that a lot of bikes bathe the transmission and clutch in the motor oil. The 'multi-purpose' oils hold up to the shearing, particulate matter and stress better in a bike motor.

I don't have a gazillion miles to report on, but using Rotella-T dino improved my shifting feel of the tranny on my KLR by a signifigant amount compared to the Castrol GTX the previous owner was using.

A family friend was an engineer with Shell and had been touting Rotella back into the late 80's when you could only get it in bulk drums for fleet use. He used to get a few gallons here and there for any of us who wanted to use it. From the cars I had over that time, it seemed to do the trick. I always got comments on how clean the top-end was, and how clean the oil was, whenever I took them in for valve adjustments... all I know is that it worked.
  6. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    I don't use it in my KTM but my Blackbird sure likes it. :evil
  7. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    18,000 using the magic gold on my 2001 640 Adv

and now have 7,500 miles on my 2005 640 Adv

Bravo Zulu to the positive comments on Rotella:deal

As long as it's available, I'll use it. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.:freaky

Darin
    05640adv
  8. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    I switch to Rotella T 15-40 in the colder months. It is an excellent oil for the reasons BikePilot stated, but switch back to GTX 20-50 in warm weather as I have used it for so long, I am just use to it.

Here is a good oil read regarding motorcylcle vs automotive oils. It may suprise some:

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm
  9. Dagofast

Dagofast Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer:
    Another thumbs up here. I run it in the KLR and the Connie. It's an excellent oil for cycles, and it beats paying 4-8 bucks a quart for the MC specific oils. I run the dino version and change it every 3k or less. On sale, a buck a quart or less. The synth is good stuff as well, but I just don't swing that way.
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I can imagine there are quite a few avoiding this thread like the plague!!! :poser

Note: please do not let the above comment in any way disturb the most rational discussion on oil I have EVER read here. :lurk
  11. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    As I am about to run out of M1 red cap... I'll be switching over to Rotella Synth, Mobil Delvac Synth or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV at the next oil change.

There is this well written and highly detailed article... and many others indicating that these oils are the way to go in a wet clutch bike.
  12. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, another oil thread. :nono
  13. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Here's three documents to help anybody make up their mind:

1. Your Owner's manual/handbook.

For a 2002 640 KTM Adventure, mine states: "Only use fully synthetic branded oils meeting or surpassing the quality requirements of API classes SG or SH."

2. API Motor Oil Guide

3. Shell Rotella Technical Specifications

Based on these three documents, Rotella T Synthetic will work fine in my bike. I've used other 'diesel' oils (non-synthetic) in other bikes that don't require 100% syn and they've run & performed great. If Rotella Syn is inexpensive and passes the Walmart/Kmart/AutoZone test, I might give it try next time I need oil...

The bottom line is - simply use what the book says to use and change it when you're supposed to. And try to avoid "Energy Conserving" oils. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

Final note: I'm not so sure that "EC" oils are as bad as they used to be. I do know a few bike owners who simply dump whatever is on sale at the moment into their bikes and they haven't had any issues with their clutches. OTOH - Since non-EC oils are still readily available, why take the chance.

Should we talk about what gasoline octane to use next?
  14. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I ran outta redcap a while back and switched *everything* in the gaspipe garage to Rotella synthetic (from the M6 to the 620RXC).

15. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking that. Wonder who'll get banned?
  16. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    change oil?
    :du'h I'da never thought of that. :baldy
    I guess I should go get some Wolfs recycled oil again.
    I hear bar oil is good stuff too. :thumb

:wave :fitz
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Naa... this is a "special" oil thread. So far, there's no mention of Amsoil. See, I told you it was different. :D
  18. SinOfSaul

SinOfSaul Loyalist

Oddometer:
    I use it in the KLR, BUT this recipe is great!

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 tb Maple syrup
    1/2 ts Dry mustard
    1 tb Cider vinegar
    2 tb Cranberry juice
    Sea salt to taste
    1/2 c Rotella-T

In a bowl, whisk together syrup, mustard, vinegar,
    cranberry juice, and salt to taste. Add the oil in a
    stream, whisking and whisk the vinaigrette until it is
    emulsified. Makes about 2/3 cup.
  19. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You just did. :deal :lol3
  20. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I work for an oil company, so I use ours, because it's better than everybody elses. At least that's what my boss told me!