$$$$ How much need I save for a trip to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by randyo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    From New Hampshire, I got a handle on the cost getting out to the Dakotas
    not looking for exact numbers but general ideal what to expect along the way

Fuel ? @ $3.50/gal I can fill up for $17.50 am I gonna see fuel stops that cost me $25, $30, more ?

Breakfast 3eggs, sausage, home fries, toast, OJ & coffee $6 ? or $15 or $25 ?

camping

motel/hotel/cabin ?

Beer ?

I will prolly go somewhere between the cheap low budget and extravagant
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    What part of Alaska? Gas can run from $4 a gal, little more in some rural places, and rooms can run up to at least $100 a night + taxes.
  3. TRUBRIT

TRUBRIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Work it out Daily, using a worst case scenario. i.e. use $4/ day Gas and work out your expected miles per day, 300? 500?
    Food. If you like a cooked B'fast every morning then you are looking at around $15/day. Sandwich for Lunch and a drink? $10/ day. Dinner? $20/day. Hotel/Motel from $60 to $120/ night. Take an average of $85/night. Snacks, Water, Gator aid? $8/day. Odds and ends such as Oil, batteries, toiletries? You won't be buying every day but you need to Budget for it. $5/day.
    Gas @300 miles/day $35
    Food=$53
    Lodging=$85
    Odds=$5
    Unforeseen=$10
    Daily = $188
    3 week Trip? =$3,948
    Camping and Cooking will reduce your costs but you should plan worst case. You should have a Credit Card back up to cover breakdowns or accidents to cover repairs. National Park Fees, Souvenirs, etc. are not accounted for above so you should allow so much 'play money' per day also.
  4. ArcticRider

ArcticRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seems very low if you are forecasting for next summer.
    Gas prices in the Yukon, the NWT, and most of the miles once you cross the US border are very expensive for gas during the summer season.
    Plus, you are using premium?

Have you ever tried this link: http://www.gasbuddy.com/Trip_Calculator.aspx

1 US Gallon = 3.7854 liters.
    Loony vs USD roughly equal these days.

As for hotel prices during tourist season, prices are insanely high in AK. You will be very lucky to find under $100/nite before adding bed taxes.:deal

TRUBIT summed it up well:

Cheers
  5. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    Budget your fuel costs by total miles to ride by the cost per gallon and your estimated MPG. At 40 MPG your fuel usage for a 200 mile day will be 5 gallons so at $4/gal it will cost you $20.
    Whats your time frame?
    It's say, 10,000 miles round trip to Fairbanks and back.
    10,000 miles, @40MPG is 500 gallons of fuel @ say $4.50/gallon is $2,250.
    Lodging. Budget $20/night.
    You can camp for free, find girls, make friends so giving yourself 6 weeks or 40 nights, $800
    Food, easily doable for $20/day.
    Beer, well, my beer expense can be more than my gas :)

So, to sum it up, gas+lodging+food for 40 days = 3,600 plus beer, breakdowns and spending money.
    I would want to have $6000 available to me before I'd consider it.

[edit]
    My fuel calculation was wrong above.
    Fuel should be $1,150 so total costs combined will be $2,450 plus your spending, beer and beer.
  6. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    thx to all so far

very expensive ? $1.40/l ?
    premium, nope, regular is fine in my bike

It may be a winter trip, I have an ultimate goal of riding to Deadhorse in winter. but I'd like to familiarize with roads i summer before a winter run to know what I'm getting into

Summer trip, I would prolly ride 750+ miles most days. Google has the trip at just under 10,000 round trip to Deadhorse without any side trips

are reservations ahead advisable, or can I just wing it and hope lodging is available when i get there
  7. CaptTeach

CaptTeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use this math you will have a little extra $$$$ in your pocket - I never have divided 100 by 4 and gotten 50 I always come up with 25 :evil
  8. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Oops, sorry about that.
    Yes take off another 250 gallons @ the $4.50/gallon gives you $1,125 less than my original estimate.
    Too much haste.
  9. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    bike cost I have under control, for my V-strom, I use 45ยข/mile, so for a 10k trip, my bike costs (fuel, oil, chain, sprockets, tires, brakes, depreciation and insurance) will be $4500. Some of it will be spent prepping for trip getting bike in shape, some won't be realized till I do my taxes

my concern is more what my personal costs might be, food, lodging, laundry, beer, wimen

so far what I can expect

close to $100 a nite for lodging

how bout camping, not side of road free camping, I would expect a site with picnic table, fire ring, lever tent site and hot shower available

when I'm on road, breakfast is my main meal of day, I keep it simple but hardy $15 is more than I pay local, but reasonable and I can plan for that
  10. TRUBRIT

TRUBRIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out All stays Camp and Tent Website. Every campsite in every State. Lots of info including costs. There is an App for your phone which is great. Take my hat off to you riding those sort of miles each day, not going to see much. Check out the Rockies Forum as they have lots of good info. One of the most important being expected mileage in the High Country and real miles per day. If you are Super slabbing then it won't make much difference. We were planning a 3 week trip from Key West to Alaska and worked out a Budget of $10K by the tine we finished. This included shipping and Insurance to bring the Bike back from Alaska. Work continually gets in the way of my Riding plans.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wife and I rode (2 bikes) there from near St. Louis MO. and back last summer. Gas, meals, motels in Canada are high $$. We stayed in the cheaper motel chains, about $100 per night. Granola bar breakfast, Subway lunch, nice dinner. Took a 4 day ferry ($1600). New tires along the way. 28 days. About $10,000, so my wife says, I have no idea, she pays the bills, I just spend till she tells me to stop.:eek1
  12. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill be doing it. Biggest cost for me is gas. 2 Bikes, 10,000 miles. We will camp all the time or else we couldn't afford it. Thanks for that camping ap!
  13. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I met wheatwacker on my way to Inuvik. I went sleep in my tent, and woke up with another tent next to mine. We then rode together to Inuvik. Had to stay in the hotel at Eagle Plains because of the rain and mud. Camped at Inuvik and on the way back we camped at a small fishing village.

Hooking up with someone, or more people, is a good way to keep lodging/camping costs down. It is also a great way to make friends. Matin (wheatwacker) and I have been friends for the last couple of years. And since he moved back to Ireland, I'll be heading over there to see him and do some riding in Ireland.
  14. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    University AK Fairbanks rents out rooms for cheap in the summer. I think UA Anchorage does now also.

And our Anchorage Harley shop has free camping for motorcyclists that also includes a shower.

There are also a lot of side dirt roads and gravel pits up here that are good places to camp.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    did I just read that you ultimately want to RIDE??? to deadhorse in the winter???:D
    this is getting better all the time...
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

yes, but I will be looking for sponsors on that one, already have a couple committed IF I do it, its not like it hasn't been done before
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You lost me when you said you want to ride in winter to kill a horse ? poor horsy what did he ever do to you :rofl Masochist are you :D?
    I will ignore that weird winter part and limit my suggestions to the summer as that is the only sane season to even think about riding in Alaska.
    Being sane , I did just that this past summer from Ontario ,36 days round trip on a KLR , with the good luck of hitting a period of absolutely perfect weather which allowed me to use mostly free camping spots, paid campgrounds and svereal hostels in Alaska, and only ONE actual motel on the last night back Port.
    age Indiana
    Most expensive gas was over $4.60/US Gal in Skagway .,
    cCanadian gas was up around $1.50 per liter at most, not really that bad.
    I have cheap tastes and don't need the snooty hotels so that kept my daily cost down to an average of $70.50 I do not figure in depreciation , if you start playing that game there is no end to what you can include to drive up perceived costs ( Oh, I had to forgo servicing the Plumbold Contract so I lost a quarter million , old chap)
    Hotels and everything up north it seems is indeed quite expensive and so are the restaurants. I think this is partly because of the remote location with long supply lines I but it is also due to the fact that since it is Alaska and the Yukon it attracts a lot of Euroopean and Asian tourists of the high income brackets and they don't bat an eye at paying the high prices. Lot of the tourist services are run by expats from Europe and southern Canada and USA and they crank up the prices too-because people keep buying to experienc e "the wilds"
    The free camping in the wilds can be done but I did begin to worry about grizzly bears after one was spotted on the road near Jakes Corner Yuk. within a few hundred meters of where I had just slept. Gulp.

A really good way to sleep safe and dry in Alaska is the ALASKA HOSTELS ASSOCIATION
    www.alskahostelassociation.org.
    I did not know about them but found out in Fairbanks from the desk clerk at tghe mentioned university dorms . The fellow pointed out the GoNorthHostel www.gonorth-alaska.com and that turned out to be absolutely great , just $25 for a bunk in a dry dorm tentlike structure. Sure beat slleping in a tent in the rain that night.
    I used two more of the association members in Haines and in Tok. Highly recommend thes two also, only $16 The entire organization is worthy of our support and patronage . Stuff the overpriced hotels.
    Of course you CAN spend $10000 and more if you let yourself , but no need to impress other ,is there?
    And if you go in winter , be prepared to spend a million in order to stay alive. ( assuming that is your wish?)
  18. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    $1.50 x 3.78 = $5.67/gal x 1.015 x rate = $5.75 US

sounds like if I figure $6/gal I'm covered
  19. Jnich77

Jnich77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To save money on food I went to Wal-mart and got a Tupperware thing designed to hold a loaf of bread. I grabbed peanut butter and some grape jelly. Throw in a pack of disposable knifes and you have breakfast/lunch for dirt cheap. The Tupperware keeps the bread from getting smashed and makes it easy to store. I usually ate a sammich for breakfast, lunch, and sometimes before bed. Dinner was usually Cece's or a Chinese buffet and had water to drink.
  20. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Alaska in winter is complete madness!!!!
    Yes you can do it, but really, whats the point. The daylight hours will be very few and the road conditions will be terrible.
    Your going to be sitting on that bike questioning your sanity.
    Take a trip south to Panama and do Alaska in summer and experience the long summer days.
    Going back to costs.
    Figure your total gas cost for the entire mileage.
    Then ride no more than 200 miles per day, any more than that and you will see nothing. I did a back to back iron butt when I left SF and got to Hyder on day 2. From there on I just cruised and took my time.