$$$$ How much need I save for a trip to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by randyo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I'm with Alcan Rider on this one -- it may sound crazy, but it's not as bad as you may think. I'll point out that Paul Mondor has done plenty of successful winter riding in Canada, including the Trans-Labrador Highway.

And I've met Randy. The guy is an excellent rider and knows what he's doing. My friends give me credit for riding through the winter, but I generally only take the bike out when the roads are dry. Randy on the other hand really does ride in everything, and while New England may not be Alaska, it can still dish out some serious winter weather.

Randy, for what it's worth, when I've done some basic planning for an eventual Alaska trip, I've figured $3000-$4000, not including food (because I figure I have to eat even when I'm sitting at home). But I almost always camp at night, and when there are campsite fees I split them with my riding partner(s). And I stealth camp when possible. So that keeps lodging costs way down.

--mark
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that I have to eat regardless of where I am, however that $7.50 breakfast at Parker's Maple Barn is $15 in Coldfoot

also as a self employed individual, I have to consider loss of income, Right now I'm budgeting $13.5 k for a 6 week summer trip of 15k miles, that would cover prepping my bike, bike expenses during the ride $150/day room & meal allowance and paying my mortgage while I'm not working. I know the actual ride would probably come in a LOT less. I could see that $150 a day being as little as $25 on some days

I'm not sure where I would start a winter ride from. That's something a summer ride would help me determine

Right now, this is a big pipe dream if the economy doesn't pick up

I've also heard rumors of Alaskan mosquitos that are as viscous as eagles. even worse than black flies in Maine
  3. ajklik

ajklik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thnx for all the info on this. Will ship my bike from Europe to Halifax and make a tour to anchorage and back again to Halifax in July this year. So will need new tires somewhere on the way, do I need to make a reservation for tires in anchorage (Tiger 1050)? or can a buy it anywhere in Alaska?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    And there are Dutchmen ho did Alaska in wintertime with a Yamaha R1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cfv-_CWDRAU
    albert<o:p></o:p>
  4. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    i bought fuel up in canada recently and had to bend-ovah and take it.

i plan on doing south florida to alaska this summer too [​IMG]
  5. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Much bigger. We use 'em to drill for oil. Here's one of the babies feeding on another ADV'er. :D
    [​IMG]

Being another studded tire winter m/c rider, I'm with Alcanrider on randyo's trip too. I've also read quite a bit of randyo's posts and IMO he knows what he's doing.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  6. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    They're clever in Canada - they sell gas in liters and charge loonies. By the time you're finished with the conversion, you're not really sure what it costs. There were spots I filled up to the tune of six bucks a gallon.

Camping spots ran about $20, some a little less and TOK was $30 - single rider.

But the trip was just like a Mastercard commercial... PRICELESS.
  7. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    I don't have anything else to say, but need to get my post count up to get rid of that blasted Noob label!
  8. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:

Who let the "noob" in :)

Welcome to the craziest people club on the planet :)
  9. presto88

presto88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not even going to comment on the idea of riding up there in the winter! Whatever floats your boat is my mantra...

I did ride my '01 R1150GS to Alaska from San Francisco in the summer of 2011. Not the most direct route, but not too much wandering. I went through Dawson (Yukon) on the way there. I rode the haul road out of Fairbanks as far north as the Arctic Circle then back down to the Kenai peninsula. On the way home I rode east to check out Jasper and Banff N.P.'s. All told, just a bit over 10,000 miles.

It rained on me just about every day of the trip and I ended up spending the first 3 or 4 nights in motels, but quickly realized that I couldn't afford to keep that up, so the entire remainder of the trip (34 days total) I camped. Regardless of the weather - I camped.

Total cost - fuel, food, lodging/camping, beer, and one new tire - was somewhere between 4 and 5 grand. Don't remember exact number, but that probably doesn't really matter here anyway.

Without a doubt it was the best vacation I've ever had and the best money I've ever spent.
  10. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the rumors are true !! Now I'm envisioning wrestling one that gets trapped inside my tent

What are temps in summer ?

I still haven't mounted a studded tire yet this season, I've been planning on trying Aerostitch studs to compare them to the tires I've been running the past 3 seasons that were drilled & inserted with a pneumatic gun
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thompsons Eagle Claw Campground in Tok is $10.00 and has a wood fired sauna.
  12. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    You'll all have to take Alcan Riders suggestions with a mighty big grain of salt. Ya see, it's winter time and he's been hold up with Magie for a long stretch, so he's feeling pretty fearless at the moment.
  13. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking at going up in 2014. I plan on stealth camping most of the trip.

Me estimates are as follows

Fuel - 8,000 / 45 MPG = 178 gallons x $6 = $1066 or $1100
    Food - $40 a day x 24 days = $960
    Ferry (Whittier to Valdez) = $175
    Tires = $350
    Oil Change = $45
    Total = $2600

Plan on having $3000 for the trip with the left overs for anything else.

Unless there is some other cost I should be counting in there?
  14. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Cash for souvenirs ?..

Fee for camp ground?

Laundry ?
  15. ArcticRider

ArcticRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, Randy, you do not because you have not been here in the winter. I have googled record low temps and hours of daylight in New England and they do not compare to the Arctic in the winter. They are more like Arctic Spring conditions in mid-late March. Furthermore, your road conditions are different, although the road is now open to the public, it was designed and was exclusively an oilfield service road until the last decade. in the winter, you will create a serious traffic hazard for drivers. Whats the average distance between quaint little New England communities? in the winter, facilities close down on the haulroad...just because they appear on a map does not mean they are open. As was mentioned earlier by another poster...every Village has a guy like you.
  16. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not much of a souvenir person. Usually take lots of pictures, which is free, and that is about it. I figured the difference between the 2600 and 3000 I want to at least have will be used to purchase a few little things.

I plan to do steal camping as much as possible. I believe one can do it pretty much all the way up and back. Is there places where it will be illegal? I think there will be spots I will stop and pay for a stay. Fairbanks will be one. Any good suggestions on camp grounds would be nice too.

Laundry? I plan to just lay my cloths on the bike, put some soap on them and let the rain wash them for me :D

No, I will probably bring some eco soap and wash them in a stream or put some quarters in a laundry mat.
  17. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    You're pretty much good to go camping anywhere as long as it's not posted property.

A room at UA Fairbanks includes access to laundry facilities.
  18. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    you have no clue where I've been in winter
  19. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Digasi,

I'm sure u can find any open forest space and just camp.
    Just be careful on starting a fire, I know some parks ranger , it's illegal to start a fire unless it is designated to.
    Last time I almost got fine, but a bigger issue rang thru the rangers dispatch. :)
  20. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Temps can be from frosty, meaning slightly below freezing, to 85-90f+ each summer.

Part of why I really look forward to Dawson City is that it's the same latitude as Fairbanks so it doesn't get dark and it's 85f+.

Constant rain can also be a challenge up here. Some years I've felt for some riders who've come up in the rain, ridden around in the rain, and then had to ride home in the rain. Not only can it be mighty chilly being so wet all the time but it also severely restricts viewing our scenery.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.